Finished CGI, or Rushed Movie Date?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by OmegaVPrime, Oct 13, 2008.

1. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Well I'm sure plenty of you noticed the unfinished CGI in the movie

Here is just to name a few:

Scene: Sams house: Ratchets legs were reflective when there were no street lights. Including his feet were sliding on the grass making it look like he was levitating.

Scene: Battle at white sands: There was no sinkhole when skorponok ran back into the ground.

Scene: BumbleBee and Tow Truck: BumblBees head wasn't CGed when Megan Fox looks backward through the glass.

These are just some of the very noticeable CGI dunce scenes. Not that making these thousands-of-polygon models weren't stressfull, I'm just hopeing that they will abide by there time-line and get started early while they can.

I was a little dissapointed when I noticed these.

2. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

If you over analyze any movie you're bound to find tons of flaws. I've seen the movie 3 times and overall I think they did an amazing job with the effects. My only complaint is the shakiness of the camera during fight scenes where you couldn't tell what was happening half the time.

3. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Noticed the first time I watched in theatres (not complaining)

Peanut butter and jelly is to bread

as

Shakey Cameras is to Every Bay film

4. DrLee

DrLee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd take finished CGI over a rushed release date.

Case in points are the two recent Stargate SG-1 movies BOTH were pushed back to allow the CGI guys more time to enhance the CGI elements....BOTH movies had CGI that was miles over the shows stuff.

And OT... whats with you're Sig OvP? damn thinng freaks the bejeezus out of me.....lol

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I never noticed any of these.

6. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    You know as well as I do, take quality over quantity..

And I'm thinking of changing it because I have had plenty of WTF'S over it

7. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Same here. I'm not saying that there aren't flaws in the CGI for the first movie or that it couldn't be because they rushed the release date but I think they did a remarkable job with the CGI for the time period they had and I'm not worried in the slightest that the CGI won't be top notch in the sequel. To be honest, I think the "three-years-between-sequels" model has unfairly been made standard thanks to Star Wars. I personally don't think it should take more than two years to make a sequel, if the production team knows what they're doing.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well that's doesn't surprise me. You'd be amazing how often things like that happen in movies.
    As much as I bitch and moan about the movie, the one thing I don't complain about is the special effects. They were certainly good.
    You'll always find discrepancies in movies.
    CGI's not perfect.
    It just tries its best to look it.

*EDIT*

Personally, I do believe that the many of the TF scenes were rushed due to budget and time constraints.
    But again; that happens a lot in movies.

9. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    This wasn't caused by rush. It was caused by lack of budget. Watch the Commentary by Bay some time.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    During most of the scene where Sam and Mikeala are supposedly chaining Bumblebee to the tow truck, BB wasn't actually there. They tried to cut around it, I see it as being down to a lack of budget rather than rushed production values.

11. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Meh I doubt it was "honestly" budget, you do know how much the film fetched for its budget correct?

Trust me bay could hide a a dead cow from 50 sharks, he is good at doing that. I wouldn't doubt that the budget had some part to do with some of the CGI, but these errors were far to noticeable to call "not enough for the budget"

12. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    The ROTF shoot should end sometime this month, which leaves about 8 months for ILM to have their way with the CGI. I wouldn't worry. ;) 

13. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    You can plug your ears and go LALALALA all you want, but Bay was specifically pointing out shots and saying 'I hated that shot, we didn't have the money to do it right'. Why would he lie about movie date and blame budget instead? There isn't a logical reason for it.

Your theory is wrong.

14. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

8 months? That's it? That sounds like it's cutting it close to me.

15. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Neither did I, and honestly, analyzing a movie like this (no matter when you do it) just takes the fun out of watching the movie int he first place, imo.

16. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

delicious?

the filming ends, but all the footage they've allready filmed could very well allready be being worked on

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Man, that's some serious nitpicking.

About the shaky cam stuff: bullshit. I never had any problems seeing what was going on on-screen. The only real focusing "error" with a fight in the first movie was the fact that they basically just showed the very beginning and very end of BB vs. Barricade's fight. The rest was all focused on Sam vs. Frenzy and Mikaela. With all the build-up and merch for the whole BB vs. Barricade fight, you'd think it would've been more amazing, like Optimus/BC fight.

Delicious.

Exactly. It's not like they film first, CGI after. They mix it up. But yeah, Bay seems very on top of things moreso this time 'round, regardless.

18. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:

:lol  lalalala

But seriously bays reputation for this movie is based on how well it performed and the fact that it had that much money to blow on the film makes it doubtfull that they went short on funds, commentary or not.

Besides this was the FIRST movie, everything was being changed around and fixed so the deadline was VERY close. Don't you remember? They were even considering moving the movie back..

Besides I'm not bashing the film in anyway and I absolutley LOVED the movie, watched it about 17 times so far, but I'm more concerned on how well they will do with time. Making random completion dates to set the record for filmaking, IMO is pretty novice. You don't want a release date until you're comfortable that you'll be on time.

19. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well I can't for everyone else, but you must have better eyes then I do. I for one have trouble focusing on the action scenes because of the shaky cam, and motion blurred robots. Just because you can see everything just fine, doesn't mean the rest of us can.

20. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

You obviously don't know the difference between a movie's budget and it's box office take.

Just because a movie grosses approximately $320 million doesn't mean that the BUDGET for that movie was $320 million. The budget for Transformers was significantly below that mark. A budget is determined by the investors (namely the studio that will be distributing the film) and is in most cases set in stone, and if the film is "over budget," many times things have to be cut, minimized, or done away with altogether.

Secondly, I don't know why people think that CGI is somehow less costly than practical shoots. Creating, animated and rendering one of those Transformers is extremely time and resource consuming.

To review: box office gross does not equal budget.

Now for the sequel, there will likely be a larger budget. Therefore, you can expect more coolness.

Class dismissed.