Minor/Repaint: FINISHED 10/29/08 Classics Action Jazz

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Lucs, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Haven't posted any of my new stuff lately so here's my take on Classics Jazz. I actually just bought Botcon Jazz but he's just not good enough. (Jazz is my all-time favorite character)

He's still a work in progress. I'm gonna buy some pin striping tap for the blue and red stripes, not good enough to free hand it. I might add some silver to his gun too.

He's made up of parts from
    Prowl - main body, removed one of the missile launchers
    Silverstreak - crotch area, forearms, hands, and I swapped the 'sunroof' with prowl so it was flat
    Action Master Jazz - head, I think I saw someone else use a paper cut out of this head as a WIP but this is the first time I've seen it executed

Enjoy, comments welcome, as always

Sorry for the poor lighting I was kind of in a rush. I'll take way more pics when he's done for the gallery

[att]15621[/att]
    [att]15620[/att]

UPDATE 10/25/2008
    I added some pin striping to this guy last night. The main thing I was going for was an updated version of the G1 toy's stickers. Not sure if I'll do much more to him yet, maybe more stickers. I'd like to get the '4' on there and Jazz/Meister/Martini too, but not sure which one of those yet

[att]16022[/att]

UPDATE 10/29/2008
    He's finally done accept for maybe a touch up here and there. I had to remove the rounded pin striping cuz it just didn't stay right. I'm fine with him not having it though. I added sliver to the grill and tailpipes. Took pics of him in bot mod with the stripes on him

[att]16275[/att]
    [att]16276[/att]
    [att]16277[/att]
    [att]16278[/att]
    [att]16279[/att]
    [att]16280[/att]

Attached Files:

2. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very very cool. where did the head come from? it screams jazz. i love this

edit: ooppss a should have read the post propperly, very cool bash very cool action master head

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Awesome job Joe! You laid the white paint down nice and even! The head is perfect, and all around he looks kick-butt! :rock I've seen some folks turn the lower legs around for a more G1 look. Any plans? Either way, you should be proud!:thumbs2: 

4. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it doesn't quite look right unless there's something put in there so they're not hollow imo.

Looking good, painted stripes or stickers/decals?

5. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Thanks BH (I'm gonna paint up that mini jazz you did for me next).

I might fiddle with the legs a bit but adding the silver to his toes G1ified him enough for me. I'm definitely proud though. The white came out solid however a bit bumpy I guess you'd say. I use a brush and did about 4 coats with no wet sanding, still haven't even tried that method yet. The head looks really neat IMO but I haven't actually tried TFing him to see if it fits yet, so might not be perfect

Sticker pin striping. I think I'm gonna keep it simple with a thicker blus stripe with a thin red one down the middle and some repro autobot symbols

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Get crackin on it Hasbro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. big hank

News Credits:
    Ahh.. right, right. I think the ones I've seen had some filler pieces for the hollow part, but they had to be removed for TFing. 'Tis a shame.

Can't tell about the white from the pics, looks great! I think you'll be able to make the head TF, no worries. I don't have the mold as I'm not a huge Blue/Sliverstreak/Smokescreen fan. But all the Jazz customs(yours included):D  sure do tempt me into picking this guy up!

8. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking great man. with the head your going to have to turn it round to fit thats what i had to do with mine.

9. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Thats lookin awesome! That was me with the paper head. Was a mock up untill I could cast the actual one. I never did finish it. Looks great tho...awesome paint apps and the one launcher is a nice touch! If Scatman could see it he'd say "Alright man! Diiiiiiig it!"

10. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

damn it. I was this close to buying an action master jazz like a month ago for this exact reason, then decided not to cause i thought the head might be too small. Now i've been beat to it.

Great job

11. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Looks like your custom Jazz is a great homage to the g1 version. BTW bro what kind of paint did you use ? any technique ?

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    looking nice so far, man. I'm also relieved to see it's quite different from mine too lol

13. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I likes! How easy was it to remove the action master head and then attach it to the classics body?

14. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Well bad news guys the AM Jazz head doesn't fit through the hole in the hood or in car mode :(  I just took it off and put it in the Driver's seat

Thanks for the kind words guys

Paint is Black Citadel, White Gloss Acylic Testors. The only paint techniques I used were after applying a thin coat of paint I went over it with a tiny dab of water. 4 coats on all white areas. The black was actually thicker than I wanted it. I should have added water to the mix

AM head came off easy after unscrewing body. I cut the connector off and drilled a hole just a tiny bit smaller that the Prowl connector so it would stay on tight

15. big hank

News Credits:
    Hmm. Is there a chance it will clear if you shave the head down a bit in unnoticeable areas! And white acrylic! I swear it looks like enamels in the pic, so more thumbs up for ya!!:thumbs2: :thumbs2: 

16. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    It might fit if you shave the black neck-type area that holds the head on. I'll have to look at it when I get home tonight.

Oh and the white paint thing. I had never tried this before but going over each layer right after it's applied with a bit of water helped a lot. Gotta do it in small areas like I did the door then went over with water then fenders and then water. Seemed to help pretty well. I've never used enamels. Small Apartment + Enamel fumes = bad

17. big hank

News Credits:
    That's just a matter of perspective!:drunk :crazy: :D 

18. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so man any updates on him as i cant ait to see him finshed. my 2nd take on him is almost done just waiting on stickers.

19. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    None yet. I think I'll have time tomorrow or friday to add some more paint. I havn'e been able to hit up the hobby store for the stickers yet though. I'll probably wait for the stickers before I take more pics. Thanks for the interest. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. What stickers are you using BTW

20. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the G1 from reprolables . i love all the customs i have seen of jazz. my first one i did was a let down for me. so i had to redo him. i should have mine done as soon as the stickers get here. i really cant wait to see yours. heres the link
    http://www.reprolabels.com/Autobots/jazz.asp