Minor/Repaint: Finally, Years Later - Cybertron Dirge

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by REDLINE, Apr 10, 2008.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    This project was one of my earlier ones, and one of my first non-Legends sized customs. When I started out I was mostly just repainted the smaller guys because A) I love 'em, and B) they're inexpensive, and if I screwed up, I wasn't out a lot of dough. After several of those, I started my slow progression in difficulty and techniques. This project is just as old as my Cybertron Alpha Trion one, it was born before Cybertron had even come out, and we were only able to watch Galaxy Force Subtitled episodes.

The basic idea is pretty simple: Take a Cybertron Thundercracker, and convert it into a Dirge. I've always considered the TRU two-pack repaint of the GF Voyager sized Starscream as my Cybertron Thrust, so I wanted to eventually add the other original Seekers to my ranks. With the completion of this project, I only am missing a Ramjet, which I will do from a GF SS. I completed the bulk of this project way back when. The only modifications done were to chop off the crummy rubber missles, and replace them with 1:100 model missles from a cheap 1:100 FA-18(that ought to get someone's attention hehe).

But I never finished it, as he was never given his Digital camouflage. Well, I've finally rectified this! I hope everyone enjoys it. I took me about 6 hours or so to free hand the digital camo paint job using a #0 brush, and a sharpened toothpick.

[ATT]4250[/ATT]
    [ATT]4251[/ATT]
    [ATT]4252[/ATT]
    [ATT]4253[/ATT]
    [ATT]4254[/ATT]
    [ATT]4255[/ATT]
    [ATT]4256[/ATT]
    [ATT]4257[/ATT]
    [ATT]4258[/ATT]
    [ATT]4259[/ATT]

Attached Files:

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Awesome camo.

3. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    Holy freaking time consuming camo! lol. Awesome job!

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    As awesome as that camo is (and I'm pretty sure there'll be lots of folks who agree on the sheer awesomeness of this camo), I really wouldn't call it digital. It's missing that pixelation one would normally associate with the type. *nod*

5. MrMurder

MrMurder Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wow, those cammo graphics look great. how did you do that? (if you don't mind sharing)

6. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I have to sgree with everyone else. The main thing that sticks out about this whole bash is the camo. I have to say it's an awesome job at that. I don't think I would ever attempt camo myself, heheh.

I am also curious as to how you did it?

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That's how it should be done!!!! Yay!! :rock 

8. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Awesome camo job!

9. Rdfnd1253

Rdfnd1253 Well-Known Member

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! That is just simply AMAZIIING!!! I still think desert eagle would be a fitting name for another one if you were to do another one. Some reason I like the sound of that and desert storm. AWESOME ONCE AGAIN!!!! =)

KEEP them COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

Wow.
    Like everyone else said the camo is amazing,"proper camo" isnt easy to pull off and you definetly did.
    Hasbro take note this is how you do desert camo.
    Now do Thrust ,only a bit quicker.lol

11. REDLINE

News Credits:
    hehehe It certainly was that! :lol  I had to stretch my neck and such every so often.

man, I'm not a machine. In person it looks nearly spot-on to digital camo, so that's what I call it. I can't help it that I can't make perfect squares, but I did the best I could.

You mean, Ramjet, right? :p  hehehe He won't take 2 years to complete, its just a matter of getting to his turn on my to-do list! Its a lot easier coming up with ideas and wants than it is to actually get the stuff necessary and the time necessary, to make them a reality, and this makes the to-do lists of everyone grow faster than you can shrink it. *lol*

I'm glad everyone likes the camo, as I mentioned before that was the whole reason he got put on the back burner, which lead to forgetting about it at times. Happy to have that monkey off my back hehehe

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    OK. I know these won't show up as images, but for those wondering how I did the camouflage, here you go. Firstly, I used this image here:

[​IMG]

as a feference for what I wanted to achieve(except its not desert camo). Now the way I went about it is first, he was already painted the base color (Krylon Fusion Sandstone)... So I took the darkest of the two browns and painted it on like a traditional camo first. Next I took a toothpick, and shaved the tip down so that it was extra sharp/small. I used this to go around ALL the edges, even the internal ones, and make it look digitalized. squares, rectangles, etc.

Clearly, they're not PERFECT squares, but in real life and not magnified on a monitor, they're more than close enough. The next step was to add the "Testors light tan", and its aps were so small, I did those solely with a sharpened toothpick, and then I finished it up with "testors flat black", solely with a sharpened toothpick. Here's a picture of the first set, the darker brown, half-way through the digitalizing process, so you can see exactly what I was doing:

[​IMG]

After all this was done, I simply gave it a good clear coat to protect all the hard work. The base color had already been clearcoated previously, with Future Floor Finish, as that stuff is just so tough, self-leveling, and shiny. Now that it was camouflaged, I didn't want it to be too shiny, so I used a Semi-gloss clearcoating.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Man, that it tooooooo friggin' sweet bud!!....Fantastic job Red :thumb 

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Love the 'bot mode. And the camo works so well... Looking at the reference pic nearly hurt my eyes, though, but it totally breaks up the outlines. I'm tempted to try that on my Skyhopper, although I might go about it slightly differently to yourself.

Have you considered gluing in a trimmed down Cyber Key to act as a built-in switch for the missile launcher? I do that as often as I can, and it's great because it means not having to stick a key in to trigger the gimmick.
    Here's how it looks on my Skywarp...
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/khepris-throne/skywarp_01-02.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/khepris-throne/skywarp_01-01.jpg

15. REDLINE

News Credits:
    yeah, I should do that. That's almost as cool as the arm-mod we were talking about. Almost. ;) 

16. _Flashback_

_Flashback_ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow....very nice paint job. Amazing work.

17. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent work on the paint job, REDLINE! I've done some really detailed work using small brushes and toothpicks (which do help a LOT). Great job on this one. Keep it up!

18. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

stellar...

i cant even imagine myself doing detailing of that multitude with such a homogeneous look! and i think i used that word incorrectly in this sentance lol. w/e

19. Obvious Prime

Obvious Prime Purple Repaint

News Credits:
    Awesome. Not a huge fan of the mold, but the paint makes it work. It'd look killer on the Classics Seeker mold. Awesome camo! 10/10

20. REDLINE

News Credits:
    Thanks for the compliments guys. :)  I think it would look great on a Classics seeker, but mine won't be camouflaged, they'll simply be a totally different model of jet instead *spoiler* ;)