finally watching the AEC shows

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Psychrome86, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

first let me say this: i want to kill those kids! but i'm on episode 32 and i can drown them out now in my mind. these certainly are interesting but now i kind of want to watch the japanese versions with subtitles to see how the story is different.

anyway, i was hoping somebody could help me out and point me to a page with short plot descriptions of each episode for all three shows. ones that don't give away the whole episode. also, can anyone give me a list of all the characters featured in each show? thanks people.

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hope you're watching them in order, and not randomly.

armada goes into "ultra kick-ass" territory once wheeljack arrives. oh yeah.

3. Psychrome86

most definetly in order. i noticed it started getting better when more transformers started showing up.

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

The last episode of Armada is pure win.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Do yourself a favor and just skip Energon. You're not missing anything. It started off promising, but quickly took a huge nosedive in quality. The plot actually ends about two-thirds of the way through the series, and the later episodes are just a bunch of random fights.

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I agree with every single comment in this thread. Armada is awful until the last few episodes; then it goes into overdrive and ends as one of the best series this side of Beast Wars. Energon starts promisingly, but soon descends into absolute nonsense. Cybertron was vaguely enjoyable, but do yourself a favour and watch Galaxy Force instead.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    If there's one thing I will say about Energon, is that Megatron was crazy BADASS. His introductory episode had him fight crazy, and he didn't pull half as many "Decepticons, RETREAT!" as G1, ARM or any other series.

But everything else about the show sucked retarded-ness.

I never watched the last episodes of Armada, as the series as a whole was far too unbearable to watch. I just hated Hotshot so much.

8. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    If I may suggest, watch Super Link instead of Energon. Yes, it suffers from the same problem that Draven and Switchblade mentioned, but the plot is more coherent. You would not believe the mistakes made in Energon. It goes beyond calling every other Mini-Con Leader-1. It seemed like whoever was "translating" Super Link made nonsensical changes to the plot for no apparent reason.

9. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Armada episode 23 'Rebellion' is great. One of the few 'bad guys only' episodes of Transformers, I believe. Most episodes where Sideways does stuff is great.

Superlink/Energon is shit. Just watch up to episode 7... and then don't bother to watch anything else. Just know that 'stuff happens', and it ends in a very badly animated fight.

We're working our way through the Armada episodes on the TF wiki, mostly one guy writing all the episode recaps and me editing them because I'm a perfectionist jerkface:

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Armada_(cartoon)

However, we've only covered a handful of the Cybertron episodes and it seems people have lost interest in doing it: http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Cybertron_(cartoon)

Nobody wants to do Energon, which is understandable.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I really liked the second half of Armada, too.
    It started out slowly, and with a kind of "Gotta Catch 'Em All" mentality, and the Autobots would continually bring the kids along on hazardous situations they had no businsess being in. Then the animation quality and tone of the show got quite better -it was almost like an entirely different production team was brought in.
    I still contend that the final fight between Megatron and Optimus in Armada is the best Prime\Megatron fight ever. Was there another fight where Prime ripped off part of his damaged body and used it as a weapon?

Energon started off with a bang. When Megatron showed up he was ruthless, powerful, and organized the Terrorcons into an awesome force. Then the show went nowhere fast. The dub was horrible. During battles characters would randomly say things like "Sir, yes sir!" and "Cybertron?" But what was worse were things like Megatron saying "It's a good thing the Autobots abandonded this world before we got here" as he was fighting the Autobots!

I know I am in the minority here, but I like Cybertron the best of the three.
    Prime really got to be a hero among heroes in that one (as the character should be) and Starscream was a complete badass who kept his agenda hidden until it was time to strike.
    I remember Thundercracker asking Starscream what was going and I just knew Starscream was going to reveal everything he had planned. Instead he just said "You'll find out." I was like "COOLNESS!"

My main problem with the trilogy though is it starts out with the Minicons being coveted by both sides. Their connecting to the larger robots powers them up to levels where Megatron's cannon recoil knocked him off his feet. Then all through Energon and Cybertron minicons were present, but no one cared and their "power up" feature was completely forgotten.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved Cybertron, and even the kids (Bud in particular) were likable. As much as a sucker as I am for this, I liked Cybertron over Galaxy because I like the little nods to G1 and the movie with some of the lines, and the humor was translated well. The dialogue was great for a translated show, and I enjoyed the voicework. They tried harder than usual to make sense of some of the dialogue that other shows just wades through.

I also like some of the subtle things in the animation, like when Jetfire crashes down next to the kids, the draft that flows from the crash almost knocks the kids off their feet. I just wish Episode 1 had been a complete episode and not a cut up of the first two. I hope they can fix that if that show ever comes to DVD.

edit: oh and I love the way Hotshot smiles after he transformers. For canned Transformations, Cybertron was sweet!

12. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Galaxy Force voice for Bud was fucking awful. Really, it was fucking awful. Screechy, overacting and over the top.

From what I understand, Cybertron Bud's VA is actually a young actor, so he actually sounded like a kid.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Dude growing up with the unicron Trilogy makes me have that special place in my heart for the series, even if they aren't that great.

Armada- This started me off as a kid, I was watching YTV back in Summer of 2003, A saw this grey sports car transform in mid air, ( I believe it was Blurr) it looked awesome with constant rewatches i've come to love Transformers Armada (My favs were Megatron, Starscream, Hotshot, Red Alert, Blurr, Wheeljack and Tidal Wave) The kids are annoying espicially Carlos, but it was pretty awesome. Sadly i didn't know they had toys.

Energon- I thought the show was awesome at first. I look at it now realize it was total shit when it came to everything. Kicker was annoying but yet i thought it awesome he fought alongside the Autobots in the battlefield, My Favourite charecter was Shockwave (Now i love the G1 charecter), My first toy i got was Rodimus my first tf figure. I wish i knew what the hell was the point of the show.

Cybertron- The best of the three, I bought Hotshot and realized that the series was comming out soon. Holy Crap the show was awesome, every episode was great, I loved all charecters except Backstop and Thundercracker. The show had so many favourite charecters Including Optimsu Prime, Galvatron, Starscream, The Entire Cybertron Defence Team, Ransack and Crumplezone, Evac, Scourge, Override and my namesake Crosswise (Autovolt). I had collected all the shows' main charecters and it was after this i realized i was a true collector.

Cybertron is probably my favouroite along with Beast Wars. I think Animated's gonna be awesome.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, Fit For, the kid sounded like a kid from the Snoopy show. Really cute-sounding kid, and his lines were great, especially the "I'm going to dissapear in a cloud of flatulance"

SPOILER for PSYCHROME, so don't read this since you are just starting on the series.....

And the voice work for Bud when Vector Prime dies was great, all things considered.

15. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really enjoyed Cybertron more than Galaxy Force. Sure it had its WTF moments due to continuity with Armada and Energon, but it was a great story with good characters. I agree wholeheartily with everyone's opinion of Energon, but Armada is getting too much praise IMO. If the animation was better, I wouldn't have nearly as big a problem with it though.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Energon was kinda brain-deadening, but I never found it painful to watch at all. Kicker was an emo whiney bitch, and there was a shot where Hot Shot was totally looking up Kicker's sister's skirt which made me laugh... not a whole lot of significant stuff really ever happens.

17. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Like others have said, the last half or so of Armada was pretty cool. Those last handful of episodes really made up for the first half being not so good. Energon was kind of hit or miss, didn't find it as interesting as Armada, course then again, Energon started to really not go anywhere too much and become slightly ridiculous as it went on. Cybertron was alright, but due to the messed up time schedule on cartoon network, I just really didn't care anymore and didn't try to watch it.

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say not to watch it. Watch up till Prime fights Unicron, then skip around and only watch a handful of episodes. Two episodes in particular, are the one where Shockblast shows up, and the special. The special is made of fun and win.

19. Psychrome86

thank you all for your input. brandon, i share your frustration with the schedule. i couldn't watch any of the shows because they kept moving it around and it just wasn't worth it.

i was thinking super link and galaxy force might be better to watch. i guess it's time to go on a hunt for those episodes.

20. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only good thing about watching the originals (aside from some minor editing and the association of Cybertron to the rest of the series) is that not knowing Japanese, everyone thinks the voice acting is better, when there are probably people watching it in Japan thinking that it's the most horrible thing they've ever heard.

Then again, I watched Star Wars Episode 1 in Spanish and the kid who played little Anakin sounds better in Spanish.