Customs: Finally! My Customs Room- WIP

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Jan 18, 2009.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    So, after doing customs work either on my computer desk in my bedroom, or on the floor in the living room, I FINALLY have a proper place of work for when I'm doing Customs! About a year ago, my younger brother moved out. He and I had been roommates for just shy of 5 years in this house. He's getting hitched in April.

Now that I'm not 100% broke (thanks to two jobs) I have finally been able to do something with the now-vacant bedroom here. I already had a cabinet, I had used it because the closet in my room was so horribly tiny (I placed sheets, blankets, books, and sweatshirts in there,) and I had a display case in my bedroom, and in the living room. I did all of my photo-shoots off my bed, placing a lock-box on there to lay a sheet of posterboard against, plus a second one on top of the matress. Yeah, not the most stable place to work with, and a consistent PITA for me over the years! I got my original desk brought up to me today while at work by my parents, who just happened to be in town for some other things, saving me a really long day and a ton of gas. The desk has been sitting in their garage for the last 8 or so years, so I first had to spend about an hour and a half getting it all cleaned off and I finished it off with a good dose of lemon oil.

I had previously moved my two display cases into that room, and had simply set up the cabinet, but didn't really have it set exactly where it was going to end up, as I wasn't sure where until I could have the desk back in my possession to get accurate measurements. I have 3 TF posters, one is the famous Alternators lithograph, and the other two are official Movie posters, all three acquired at BotCon '07. The two movie posters have to be theater-quality as they're not only really large, but they're also really thick. I only have the lithograph framed currently, as I have to space-out my purchases. I still need to get a lot of organization items as well, but Since the bulk of the set-up is complete now, I thought I'd share with everyone this WIP, as it's a dream that has been a long time a-comin' for me!

This first photograph is standing in the doorway of the room. You can see, just barely, the back of my old 25 inch TV. To the right is a nearly empty wall that I eventually will place a card-table to use as a permanent set-up for my photo-shooting. You can see the room is still quite in a state of flux :lol . I need 3 more display cases! You can see I certainly have room for them now, though, as I can fit two in the middle of those already there, plus one on the wall to their left.

[​IMG]

The next two photos are standing opposite of the entry-way, looking at the same wall as the door. You can see the TV, my old desk (doesn't that lemon-oil make a difference?), trash can, and my cabinet. Currently I have my dremel, hammer, bits, new cordless drill, dictionary, thesaurus, notebook, and soldering-iron in the big drawers of the desk, and all my brushes, blades, exactos, etc in the lap-drawer. I still need to get an organizer tray for those little tools. The cabinet has 3 parts buckets, a shelf of spray cans and clearcoats, a shelf with the little model-masters, etc. spray cans and dyes, a shelf with all my tiny bottles of paints set on a staggered spice-rack shelf and paint markers, a shelf with my iron skillet (used to place hot rivets in when first removed via soldering-iron) and sand papers, a shelf with a huge stack of newspapers, and two shelves with base bots for future projects.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This next picture shows the right side wall, where the one framed poster is up (I'll be placing the Decepticon movie poster to the left of it) and will eventually house my photo table. There on the floor you can see the lockbox, posterboard, and spare Reveal lightbulbs from my current Ghetto setup.

[​IMG]

This last photo is a peek inside the closet. This room was my old bedroom, and I moved into my brother's old room. His room is slightly smaller, but has a much nicer closet! You can see a few things here: A)my collection of Classics and Universe 2.0 packages, B) the rest of my base 'bots for future bashes that still need to be re-located to the cabinet once that things fully organized, and C)a really odd design choice of this house... yeah, WHY is there a window in a closet????

[​IMG]

I want to get some tackle-box type of organizers to fully separate all my parts stuff currently in buckets, which I could then also stack to take up less space, freeing up room for those base figures. I also would like some small totes for those base figures, as well, so I could better utilize shelf-space too. I also plan to eventually get a padded swivel-chair too.

In case you're wondering (I know some of you are!), the parts in the floor on the far wall are three separate WIP Alternators. On the desk is a headless paint-tweaked Universe Blaster with a huge surprise (that I carefully left out of the room for pics! :ev:  ), my WIP Universe Jazz, heavily modified, my Omega Supreme (I recently went back and re-did his head, and I want to re-do his main tank cannon too), and lastly, my Incinerator, as I still haven't done his right arm. Oh, and yes, I do still intend to photograph step-by-steps as I go on him to make a how-to, though at this point, probably very few will have interest in using it.

Attached Files:

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

thats some nice space, lots of room to swing a cat, congratulations :) 

3. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    Ya know its funny, I always pictured you had a sweet setup in your basement or a garage or something with all the nice bashes you push out.
    Glad to see you now haw have a whole room for yourself to do whatever you want to. Now clean it up, slob.--:lol  And hurry and make some more inspriations.

MAC

4. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Very nice setup. I'm sure you'll find work goes much more smoothly with a dedicated work area.

And I have seen one other house where there was a window in a closet, I can't remember where, but you are not alone!

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Coolness Redline...I know you're happy to have an actual room to do work in now.

I see some familiar boxes in those pics too :p 

6. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    what?!?!?! u keep mp prime in a closet?!!?!?! if u dont wanna look at him ship him my way lol

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    It's for a future custom :wink: 

I'm glad you've finally got a designated place for your work. Soon, you won't know how you operated without it. :lol 

8. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

That is cool you got a seperate room to work. I have an area in my basement for right now.

I'm not sure if you have problems with ventilation, but should I ever move, I am going to make sure I have a room that is well ventilated for painting.

9. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

kudos to you glad you found a place of your own. i have to use my dining room. i have a nice shop in the back of my house but i need to insulate it

10. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Great room! :thumbs2: I can't wait 'til I move to my house in St.Augustine, I'll have my very own TF room! Until then I'm on your old plan: kitchen table, floor, lap,etc.

I do prefer a laminate or other type of "hard" surface flooring, it makes cleaning up debris on the floor easier, IMO. Do you have any problems on carpet? Like hot styrene getting stuck on the fibers or not getting picked up when vacuuming?:thumbs2: 

11. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Super cool!! I wish I had a room to spare too!!! Hope you'll show us the final room set up ok?!

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    :lol  no, Mac, it's been wherever I can find room! I do my spray painting in my basement, so I've not had any worries about ventilation. As for the carpet, I've so far *knocks on wood* only had but a rare few times where I had a hard time finding a rogue screw or something. As for clean-up, If I'm grinding on plastic or something, I try to do it over my trashcan to catch the bulk of the debris, but yeah, there's been a time or two that I've had troubles with plastics. I'm sure some of you are now asking "why didn't you setup a place in your basement then??? That's because I've had 2 basement floods in the 5 years I've lived here... I not only do not want to have a setup that extreme circumstances could deny my usage of my customs work area, but I really don't want to deal with the risks of furniture or transformer damage from water or high humidity from such an occassion, either. For now, I have some massive styrofoam blocks that I got when I was an assembler for Lowe's Home Improvement (Jenn Aire brand grills have these, they get tossed!) which I cover with newspaper for when I am doing spray work.

Eric, I knew you'd recognize 'em *L* Allen saw the SW box right away, and I had to point out it wasn't mine!

kwickstrike - yeah, that's a DVD prime, for a future project :)  I have a beautiful MP-01 sitting on top of my computer desk's hutch in my bedroom.

13. REDLINE

News Credits:
    :lol  no, Mac, it's been wherever I can find room! I do my spray painting in my basement, so I've not had any worries about ventilation. As for the carpet, I've so far *knocks on wood* only had but a rare few times where I had a hard time finding a rogue screw or something. As for clean-up, If I'm grinding on plastic or something, I try to do it over my trashcan to catch the bulk of the debris, but yeah, there's been a time or two that I've had troubles with plastics. I'm sure some of you are now asking "why didn't you setup a place in your basement then??? That's because I've had 2 basement floods in the 5 years I've lived here... I not only do not want to have a setup that extreme circumstances could deny my usage of my customs work area, but I really don't want to deal with the risks of furniture or transformer damage from water or high humidity from such an occassion, either. For now, I have some massive styrofoam blocks that I got when I was an assembler for Lowe's Home Improvement (Jenn Aire brand grills have these, they get tossed!) which I cover with newspaper for when I am doing spray work.

Eric, I knew you'd recognize 'em *L* Allen saw the SW box right away, and I had to point out it wasn't mine!

kwickstrike - yeah, that's a DVD prime, for a future project :)  I have a beautiful MP-01 sitting on top of my computer desk's hutch in my bedroom.