Finally moving into the next generation...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Rodimus Prime, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With my unexpectedly large tax refund, I've decided to finally get an XBox 360 or PS3. While I really enjoyed both the PSX and PS2, I'm torn on what to get this time around.

I disliked the original Xbox’s controller, have they made it slimmer/easier to use, and if not, is there a good, 3rd party controller that is similar to the PS controller?

I’m primarily focused on RPGs, especially JRPGs, so for those of similar tastes, which system has the best RPGs out there so far? Also, aside from the obvious titles like FF, SO, etc. what interesting RPGs are you guys looking forward to for either system?

I’ve not heard of many issues with the PS3 keeling over like the early PS2s, but I’ve heard plenty of stories of the RRoD. How commons *is* this, and how difficult is it to have the system replaced/repaired, and is it free? What is with the cooling products for the XBox? Does it really overheat that badly?

I'm assuming that both XBL and PSN require a cable connection. If so, that lets me out on those aspects. That being said, is there any critical updates I couldn't get without cable or DSL?

2. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're looking for JRPGs now, then go 360. I'm certain Sony will catch up, but for right now, Xbox has several more.

3. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't own a 360, but that controller rules. I hated the original Xbox's controller, so I pretty much dismissed 360 before I actually held the controller. It's great, and even makes me feel a bit envious as a PS player... I mean, the Xbox got an amazing controller upgrade while the PS3 got... the same old thing.

I can't speak for 360, but PS3 uses a wireless connection to access the Internet.

If you want the most bang for your buck in the long run, I'd say go with 360. But if you think you're gonna opt for the "true high def experience" with a bigger hard drive, wireless internet, blu-ray, etc., than take a closer look at PS3.

Either way, you're going to have some sleepless nights ahead :bay 

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That still requires a DSL/Cable connection, IIRC.

Me, I am waiting for a price drop before i get a PS3.
    I am not getting it for gaming, either.
    I want it as an all purpose device for my living room. The Blu-Ray, the online features with the hard drive, to store almost all of my media on it and use it there instead of on my PC...that's the selling point.

I just haven't been impressed with its gaming library. not yet, anyway.

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Xbox 360 has wireless too, no cables going to it what so ever. Fine ok no access to surfing the internet but thats what pc's are for. Why rely on a games console to surf the net.

I suggest Xbox 360 over PS3 and the fact more exclusives are coming Xbox's way is even more a reason why, Tekken 6 all on Xbox 360 - yummy!

6. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You have to buy the 360 wireless adapter separately though and it costs about $100 from memory.

I don't know anything about JRPGs because I like good games. To be honest just look at the current exclusives available for each console and those planned for release in the next 1 - 2 years and then make your decision based off that.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Tekken is a 360 exclusive now?

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    According to Xbox 360 Magazine it is.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

10. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Tekken 6 is coming out for both the PS3 and XBOX 360.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Well its certainly not ps3 exclusive at least then, they both are sharing the love - its just as good. :) 

12. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

360 has Fable 2 as an exclusive since you're into RPG's. It was a pretty decent game IMO.

13. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Blue Dragon
    Lost Oddessey
    Infinite Undiscovery
    The Last Remnant
    Eternal Sonata

and those are just off the top of my head. I know there's a metric shit ton more.

14. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

If into RPG's especially JRPGs then lets compare the two.

360 has this going for it: Star Ocean Last Hope, The Last Remnant, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, Spectral Force 3 and Enchanted Arms.

PS3 side has this so far: Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice , Eternal Sonata, Folklore, Enchanted Arms

As of right now 360 has a wider selection in terms of RPGs. If that's your main focus I'd say you would be best with that system unless you plan to import.

15. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    All right, thanks guys. My thing isn't just present, though, it's long term.

Oh and I was probably using the term JRPG improperly. Essentially, RPGs that have multiple characters in battle and are not action-adventure games with RPG elements.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    When it comes to JRPGs, the 360 may have more, but they're of varying quality. Valkyria Chronicles is the absolute best game in the genre to come out this generation, and it's only on the PS3.

17. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    But isnt Valyria Chronicles more Strategy RPG Than straight RPG?

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's a wondeful hybrid.

19. Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I actually enjoy those. Hmmm...

I've heard (but cannot find to confirm) that Sony plans on the PS3 to be around for ten years, rather than the usual five. Is this true, and if so, is Microsoft of the same idea or no?

Another thing is the Japanese sales:

360: 866,167
    PS3: 2,664,366

Since most of the series I like are made in Japan, it doesn't bode too well for me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  20. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ehhhhhh. I say don't concern yourself with Japanese sales. Microsoft Japan's been playing really well with Xbox RPG exclusives, but Xbox doesn't have much to offer the Japanese other than those. I mean, Halo and other stuff like Gears of War are big here, but not there. That is reflected on the sales numbers.

Sony can't really afford to pull off another PS3 every 5 years. Sure they say it's profitable, but now is not the time for people to go out and buy $400 consoles. So, PS3 will be around a while. I mean, they're so comfortable with the idea that they're still making new PS2 units. Maybe a refreshed re engineered version of the PS3 half way, like the PS2 slim, but nothing drastic.

Microsoft will likely do the same thing. They've been patching up after RRoD nonsense, but they are new to the game. And there will be a major overhaul on the 360 hardware soon, but nothing that will make old ones useless. New Xbox 360 games will play on old Xbox 360s etc...

The point is, get the console that will have the most games you'd like to play.

Just remember that to not get old secondhand Xboxes because they'll stab you in the back, and the newer PS3s have less to no backwards compatibility.