Finally happened to me! (Updated With Pics)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ambushbug74, May 12, 2007.

1. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Dear TFW Forum, I never thought this would happen to me, but..

So 2 years ago I was working the Memorial day weekend for some overtime. I struck up a conversation with a few peopl there and we chatted alot for the 3 days. As is always the case when I get around people, my hobby comes up. One of the guys tells me that he has an old Optimus in his mother's house that was his sisters as a kid and it just sat there. I told him if she wanted to sell it I would be interested, but nothing happened. Of course, nothing came of it. Flash forward 2 years and he and I are still passing acquaintances, I would mess with him all the time about "Where's my Optimus?" and he would just say he hasn't been to his mom's yet. After a while I let it go and just talked to him like any other friend. The other day he asked me why I hadn't bugged him about it and I said I was just not wanting to press it. He looks at me and says "Oh, cause I've had it in my car for about a wek and a half waiting for you!" I ended up waiting for him after work and he opens his back door, pulls out a bag and inside is a G1 Optimus Prime, in box! I just stood there like a moron drooling over it. Ask him how much he wanted for it and he said "Nothing, your a good guy and I know you won't go selling it on eBay once the movie comes out." So I got a free G1 Optimus in a fairly nice box for free. I took it home and opened it, fearing the worse about it. Opened it up and it is gorgeous, minimal chrome wear, fists, gas hose and nozzel, gun, small gun, and roller. No instructions, no sticker sheet, no decoder, but who cares really? I look it over and there is no rust at all on the screws and the stickers applied are peeling a little, but I realy don't care. As many of you may know, I have a pretty extensive Optimus Prime collection, I'm no Elvin or Sami, but I got a nice collection going. Yet all these years the only one that has eluded me is the grandaddy of them all, a G1 Optimus Prime, until now that is. I could not believe this at all. After years of reading stories of people getting free toys from friends, I never thought I would get this lucky. I know this post is like a giant run on sentence, but I am just really excited. Oh and in the box was Ravage and Rumble(red guy) cassettes with weapons, and weapons from other figures that I don't know who they belong to and Frenzy is missing a right arm. I'll update this post in a couple days with pics, but for now I revel in my good fortune. My Birthday is sunday and so far my wife gave me a Wii and my friend gave me a Prime, what more could you ask for?

2. rid

rid Well-Known Member

Congrats dude! I'm happy for you. And I know how hard it is to get your hands on Op.

3. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Cool

Only thing close to that, that happened to me, was a guy at work giving me a worn out Go-Bot from 1983 last week.

4. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    So, not only did you get a Pretty cool BOXED Optimus Prime, but you got a nice Ravage, a busted Frenzy & some misc. TF weaponry? All for FREE, before your BIRTHDAY?

Frickin' Sweet! Happy Birthday!

5. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Congrats buddy. I am happy for you :thumb 
    I wish it would happen to me one day.

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Congratulation!

I'm still waiting for my sister's ex-boyfriend to drop off all those great condition G1-figures he wanted to give me. Going on 9 years now. HOLD ON TO THE HOPE!

7. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Congrats...really cool to have such a guft...

Boo - 9 years! I think you should forget about them...;) 

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Go you!

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    best I ever got was a beat up shrapnel insecticon that has no chrome and barely stands up, IF you kink the legs.

10. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Nice one! Congrats :) 

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Congrats.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Awesome man!

Closest to that I've had happen was when board member Weirdwolf got a big box of near mint complete G1's for only $50. He sold me a Omega Supreme, Metroplex, Sludge, Menasor, Superion, and several others I can't remember at the moment for just $80.

13. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    So when are you listing it on Ebay now? ;) 

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Congrats on your haul. I wish my friends have G1 toys for me too but alas none of them liked TF.

15. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Hell yeah man! I run into people all the time and always ask old friends and family if they have any old Transformers.

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Congratulations, dude. That's awesome. Superhauls like that are the most fun when they're unexpected. :D 

17. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    what a shame, i thought when he opened his door to show u the prime, i thought u were going to see a dead body...oh well, great story none-the-less...

18. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Good old RAOK. Congrats!

19. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You're a jerk and I hate you.

No, seriously, that's awesome. At my old job (thank the FSM I'm not there anymore) people would sometimes say that they had old toys in their attic and offered them to me. Me, being the nice guy that I am, told them that they should try to sell them because they might get something for 'em. (A lot of the people I worked with could really use the money.) I told them only to think about giving them to me if the alternative was throwing them away. I never got anything, but that's OK - I just hope they didn't throw 'em away. *shrug*

20. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

This is gonna be a pic heavy post, but here as promised is pics of my new prize. Bear in mine that I am a terrible photographer and have a crappy camera.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]