FINALLY got to see Beast Machines!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Jetstorm, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Ok let me start out with an introduction:

Back in 1999 I somehow COMPLETELY missed out on Beast Machines. I think part of it had to do with the fact that that was the year Phantom Menace came out. And while I am a huge Beast Wars fan I'm also a huge Star Wars fan. So anyway I guess a couple years or so later I went to KB Toys and they had this deal where if you bought a Transformer you could get a tape with a Beast Machines episode on it. So I bought the Transformer I wanted (Airraptor I believe it was) and the episode on the tape was "Spark War Pt. I: The Strike" where they introduce Obsidian and Strika. My first impression was that this show was totally lame and I didn't really like it. I guess it was the character designs that bugged me the most. I had read about all the episodes online (courtesy of bwtf.com) and came to know the characters like Tankor and Jetstorm that I never knew. But it's because of that one episode that I feel warm feelings towards Botanica, Strika, and Obsidian. It also had the quote that made me like Nightscream: Silverbolt: "Until the threat of Megatron is kwelled... love is a luxury I cannot afford." Nightscream: "Did he really just say 'KWELLED'?". I had picked up the toys of Optimus Primal, Cheetor, Rattrap, Blackarachnia, Megatron, Tankor, Jetstorm, and Thrust because I knew they were the main characters despite not having seen the show.

Anyway I FINALLY got to see the show! And, surprisingly, I liked it a lot! After reading all the terrible things most fans had to say about it I thought I wouldn't like it. I think it's mostly because I grew up with Beast Wars rather than G1 that the whole "Techno-organic" thing didn't bother me. I all was worried about was my characters, my friends, that I had gotten to know in Beast Wars. I was a little sad about Rhinox but I liked how he used his "Predacon voice" from Dark Designs. Although I kept expecting him to be like "What wha wha-- what happened?" in classic Rhinox voice just like in that same episode (but he didn't, oh well :rolleyes:  ). The episode with Waspinator was absolutely great! 'Ol Waspy was my favorite character and was glad he came back.

So overall I'd say Beast Machines is a good show and even though it's no Beast Wars, it is LIGHTYEARS beyond Armada and Energon.

And here's a bit of trivia: despite never seeing Beast Machines or REALLY knowing about Jetstorm, I still chose his name as my screen name for the forum. I don't know why I guess it's just what popped in there :redface2:  :thumb  :rock 

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Jetstorm is the only thing I like.. no, LOVE about BM. best beast-era character ever.

3. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Congrats on "finding" Beast Machines; it brought me back into the fandom after being away since childhood, and was the only reason I went back and gave Beast Wars a chance.

Beast Machines - Transformers for grown-ups.

4. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

Yay!! A positive BM thread for once. BM definately doesn't deserve the crap it gets from some fans, so it's always nice to hear someone post that they like it.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Now that my taxes are paid, I'll be ordering Beast Machines. I'll sooner take 26 episodes of BM than 104 eps of Armada and Energon. Glad you liked it, Jetstorm! (I liked BM better than Phantom Menace, but that's a whole other thread!)

It's too bad the BM toys don't look as good or in scale with the CGI. One thing that's been done very well in GF is the continuity between toy and cartoon.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Everyone tends to exhagerate about the negative points online. I was lucky to see the series before absorbing too much negativity from the TF community online, so I enjoyed it myself.

7. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I think I might have to look in to BeastMachines. BeastWars was my absolute favourate of all time shows so I might as well watch the rest of the story.

8. Nefud

Nefud Well-Known Member

Every BM thread since I joined has been a "We love BM!" circle-jerk, so I don't know why this one makes you so happy.

9. Matt Nelson

Matt Nelson Sinner

"Quelled" is the word you're looking for. And before you jump on me, simply know that I CAN'T HELP IT. I'm a word nerd. And "quelled" is an awesome word. :) 

That being said, it's pretty cool that you finally got to see Beast Machines. I'm not the biggest fan of the series, but I always thought that the BM version of Primal (monkey mode) was extremely cool-looking. I also greatly liked Blackarachnia's robot design. Actually, when you get right down to it, I liked a LOT of the robot designs in BM. They were so funky and alien. It was quite cool.

Matt

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, Beast Machines was really cool. That was the series that got me back into Transformers as well.

11. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

well, you have only been here since Feb. Trust me there have been a lot of negative threads about BMs, not only here but on other forums as well. I know I only joined here in january, however I belonged to some other forums since the late 90's.

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

I've NEVER seen a BM thread which didn't degenerate into some form of negativity

13. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Just finished seeing the last few eps and I must say, I have a deeper appreciation for the series.

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wasn't too big on the techno organic thing and I didn't really get into the designs of most of the Maximals, but I think it is the last greatest thing to have happened to Transformers. None of the series since then have been good enough for me. Nice to see I'm not the only one in the minority who liked it.

15. butz

butz slippery when wet

:peoples:  Uh... I take you haven't spent much time on TF message boards in the last six years (or you have a very selective memory if you have).

16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Heh it's all good. I'm a grammar/spelling freak myself (you'll notice I always use apostrophes, capitals, etc.) I was just too lazy to check on dictionary.com or anything so I was secretly hoping someone could or would correct me :thumbs2: 

17. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Does this thread ring a bell Nefud?It should as that thread is barely a month old

That thread is hardly a "We love BM circle jerk" as you so crudely put it

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Who doesn't love a Beast Machines circle jerk? Y'all are crazy mofos if you don't!

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

As a long-time fan, and someone who's seen countless Beast Machines bash fests over the years, I feared what I would think going into Beast Machines. I hadn't seen so much as a screen cap before I started spinning that first DVD from the box set I just picked up last week.

Having now seen eight episodes I have to ask, why did anybody hate this series? I hear that when it first started to air, people were LIVID at how horrible they thought it was. WHY? This is like a great murder/mystery type show in the beginning. Which, in a way, is something the entire Transformers mythos had been missing.

Animation wise, I question some of the choices. Having spent some serious time doing 3D work over the past few weeks, I really noticed the shift from the way Beast Wars had modelled details with some sometimes poor UV mapped textures, to Beast Machines having a lot of flat surfaces with almost all details UV mapped textures, which works great with head-on shots, but not-so-hot with angled shots. For example, those giant doors in the early episodes that, as they open, you can see all the details flatten out along the surface of the door. Sometimes I think the style is the most amazing thing ever, and sometimes I just want to beat my head against the wall over how bad it looks when a texture goes to an angle and gets lost on a flat surface.

But story-wise, I can't fault a thing. At least, not yet. Oh, sure, things are different than Beast Wars by a bit, but there's still enough threads holding it together to really pull me in. All in all, Beast Machines has some pretty powerful emotional ties to the past, while taking off in a direction you'd never expect. And I really, REALLY like the idea of having no clue in the beginning of the series, and being drawn along the story discovery-by-discovery with the Maximals. And I have a real hard time understanding how anyone really hated it for the first few episodes.

Maybe I'll change my mind as it goes on, but I doubt it. This is just a spectacular show altogether, and I'm loving every second of it. I've been having a hard time shutting it off so I can get some sleep at night. It's like those books I used to read. I knew I should get to bed or I'd never wake up in the morning. But I just keep thinking, "One more chapter. Just one more, then I'll go."

Sorry to be rambling, but I'm really swept up in this series. Even more than I was in Beast Wars, and I LOVED Beast Wars the first time I saw it too. This is good stuff. Probably as close as Transformers will ever come to being solid sci-fi in its own right. Which is what I've always felt it could be. Good stuff.

20. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah. Thanks for coming.

I dug Beast Machines greatly; I have every single BM toy released (in fact, I've been getting them all out to display today, as it goes), and all the major packaging/colour variant except one. The series was VERY good; I'm still not enamoured of the organic Cybertron at the end, but other than that I loved it. The writing might have had it's flaws, but compared with RID, Armada, Energon or Cybertron it's Shakespeare. I'll be getting the DVDs as soon as I have the spare bread to do so; if it was possible for RealMedia files to wear out, mine would have done years ago.