Finally got the Optimus Prime DVD 20th Anniversary Transformer!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sharkatron, Oct 18, 2006.

1. sharkatron

sharkatron Active Member

Actually thanks to Razorwires post about the Prime DVD and Classic. I didn't know they were re-releasing Prime and having a classics line. It was that post that got me motivated to search for the cool retro transformers.

Anyways I called the TRU in San Mateo California on Monday and they informed that the Prime DVD was sold out I also asked how much it cost and they said it would be $89.99. They said they were expecting a shipment Wednesday. Well I couldn't wait so today Tuesday I decided visit the local Target in Daly City CA. Well I was in luck they had the Optimus Prime DVD 20th anniversary version. And what was even better was Target charges only $69.99 for the Prime DVD transformer. So I was able to get Prime and pay less! I've been searching since 2004 but all the stores I went to were sold out. I gave up searching in 2005 figuring that it was pretty much a limited edition once in a lifetime release. It felt great to finally find the ULTIMATE OPTIMUS PRIME transformer! The other thing is Target is selling the Classics as well. However there was only 1 Star scream left. I didn't buy it but I hope to find Rodimus one of these days! But at least I got Prime.

The classic transformer were selling for $9.99 at Target.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool man! Thats a great figure to be the first-in-a-long-time purchase. Definately get all the classics. They are all great as well.

3. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i finally got my own DVD 20th Ann. Optimus Prime last weekend...
    i freaking love it..
    im going to buy another one and keep it in the box.

4. sharkatron

sharkatron Active Member

Cool! How much did yours cost and which store did you buy it at?

5. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I've picked up this figure as well. To say the least, things are different from the last release. The paint on the diecast is amazing. Looks just like plastic. But the colors themselves look like it's supposed to reflect the TV show, which I kinda can see. They are definitely brighter. The eyes are no longer metallic, but a blue that does accurately reflect the TV show.

Only thing I really don't like is the yellow on the head, and the gun being blue. Don't care about the talking stand, I'll hardly every activate the voice. BTW, main reason I got this is for my office, which severely lacked a prime.

6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    can anyone who has him do a pictorial? maybe even do a side by side comparison to MP-01 or even the 2004 20th Prime?

7. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For $89.99 I predict that TRU will be holding on to there stock for a long time!

I had planned on picking one up (even though I have 2 of the 2004 version), then I heard the talking stand... Its almost making me pass on this release all together.

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I saw the DVD Prime at TRU yesterday. I didnt buy it because I got the first Anniversary Prime for $11 ;) 

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I acquired DVD Prime too even though I have MP 1 and 2Oth. I felt sorry for DVD Prime, first thing out of the box I replaced his smoke stacks with long metal ones. ;D

10. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

Bought it. Doesn't even deserve to be in the same room as MP-04. I took a few pictures to see how they stacked side by sideā€¦

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Wow the brighter colors on the DVD release are actually pretty phototgenic, but it's too bad they didn't at least give the stacks proper chrome.

Having MP01, the og 20th, and an MP w/ trailer on the way I can't seeing myself getting this one unless I hit the clearance motherload.

12. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I think I will wait for it to go on clearance also. I like the brighter "cartoon" look but since I have two 20th Anniversary Prime's, one with gray gun and one with black, I can wait. If I see one for around $30 I will buy it on the spot, but a discount like that is a very long way off.

Amazon.com has him for $64.99 with free shipping plus if you buy $75 or more in toys you can get $10 off with the promo code TYSTEN75. Here's a link.

DVD Prime @ Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Optimus-Prime-20Th-Anniversary/dp/B000H44MD0/sr=1-105/qid=1161209347/ref=sr_1_105/002-2583020-5635251?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games

13. battlebeasts

battlebeasts Banned

People who say he isnt the same as MP-04 or any of the other Primes in the MP collection drive me crazy, and with the still bitching about the smokestacks and crying that the voice isnt from the cartoon:horse:  ....GOD!! It is a new reissue in different colors with a voice chip, why would they release the SAME toy in the SAME colors as a few years ago? Why continue to bitch about smokestacks that you know they will not change.....what is the point? I love the new color and it is new and fresh, dont give a damn about the stacks either.

14. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

If you don't like the stacks, buy replacemet ones :p 

15. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Uh-oh! I sense another "e", not "o" reprimand coming on...:lol 

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I love the new red. You're right, MP-04 and DVD Prime don't belong in the same room together. MP-04 belongs in the other room with other overly priced Takara re-issues.

MP-04 had to be clearanced at BotCon for the most part.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Even though I didn't have enough to spare, how much did he get down to eventually? I may still want to pick one up to keep sealed sooner or later.

18. sharkatron

sharkatron Active Member

You actually think you could get one for $30? Unfortunately that would never happen in the bay area. Everyone here buys ups all the Primes at regular prices. I can't ever see it on clearance out here.

19. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    Abrogate got the first release for $11 so it is possible but it would have to be on the shelves for a long time. I might get one if it goes to $50 and looks like it will sale out but I can't see paying too much more than that. That and I need the money for newer Transformers first.

20. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I'll bring this thread back from the dead. I got my DVD Prime today thanks to the HTS 25% off + free shipping sale. $52 was my price when the dust cleared. I only had to wait a little over a month to receive it...

Anyway, what a GREAT figure this is. I too missed out on the first offering and am just incredibly pleased to have THE real Optimus Prime. I've been just looking at him in awe all night. It's like the Prime that got taken away 20 years ago has come back to life. My Alternators are now crowded around in celebration.

I saw DVD Prime in TRU a few weeks ago when he first came out and was so not impressed. I even felt kinda bad for spending $50 on him. I donno. Something about the colors on this Op mixed with the packaging makes him look like crap. Out of the package, he's incredibly nice. I had plans to try to find an MP01 or something, but now I think I'm just gonna stick with cartoon Prime. Maybe some long stacks in silver to complete the look.

I'm a happy TF fan. It was a Prime day.