Finally Finished Masterforce

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Megabattimus, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Like the title says, I've finally finished my watch-through of Masterforce, and, I can honestly say, without a shadow of a doubt; this is my 3rd favourite Transformers show.

There were just so many great things about this show:

-The Decepticons were fantastic. They were really big threats and were developed way beyond that of the typical villain at the time; i.e they didn't retreat for no reason.
    -Speaking of Decepticons, Overlord and, when he eventually appeared, Black Zarak were hugely powerful. Also, I really liked how Overlord actually cared about his troops and I really liked how Giga and Mega, Overlord's godmasters, sacrificed themselves trying to kill Black Zarak.
    -Ginrai. Probably my favourite human of all time. He was just insanely likeable, which was probably helped by him being very down to Earth and real. He was just a really great hero.
    -Metalhawk and the Autobot pretenders. These guys were great, especially Metalhawk. The only thing that sucked, was that the Autobot pretenders didn't really get a lot of screen time at the tail end of the series.

The only bad thing I could probably say about this show, that isn't technically related to the show itself, is that it sucks that Hastak hasn't made Classics toys of most of the cast, especially Overlord and Ginrai.

Anyways, is anybody else a huge fan of this show?

2. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime IDW2019 Stan

News Credits:
    Ive watced it all and i thought it was pretty great. The bad part was that the case for the dvds itself was somewhat loose for disc four which ended up making it scratched so badly that i cant watch the first episode with doubleclouder

3. gregles

gregles quintesson

I wouldn't say it was amazing but it was a pleasant and enjoyable surprise after the long boring slog of headmasters. I think its best enjoyed when you mentally divorce it from g1, headmasters and victory and any other transformers continuity and view it on its own merits. most memorable bit for me was doubledealer (and the human) being really cold hearted and helping destroy there base and the epic battle to save earth at the end it really put early episodes into perspective.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm watching through it now, and yeah, I love it. The characters are great and I wish I could get a hold of some of these toys that I had zero interest in previously.

Someone a little while back said the series is a bit Sentai/Tokusatsu-flavored, and I can see that, especially with the Decepticon Pretenders and Giga & Mega. And when Turtler first appears, he makes sounds straight out of the original Kikaider series villains' playbook. I almost expected to hear Professor Gill play his flute.

But yeah, what a fun show.

5. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Another thing I really liked about was the Seacons, and how all of them, with the exception of Turtler, are drones. I wouldn't mind seeing that idea used again in something like Prime.

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I didn't care for it the first time I watched it, but really liked it afer watching it again last year. Glad you enjoyed it.

7. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Love, love, LOVE Masterforce.

As you mention, amigo, the Decepticons in this series are amazing, truly posing legitimate threats. I really do like the idea of a Decepticon-human alliance where the humans are equal partners and not minions - thanks to this series, my youthful Decepticon-loving mind was fired with fantasies of becoming a Decepticon Powermaster like Buster and Hydra, my favorite dynamic Decepticon duo of all time. And Overlord being a noble commander who genuinely cared for his men was a nice departure from the usual tyrannical Decepticon leader. A few instances of much-reviled 'villain decay' did occur on a few occasions, I have to admit, and the Decepticon Headmasters sometimes got on my nerves with their pettiness, but these did not overly interfere with my enjoyment of the series.

The Autobot Pretenders are men among men - the epitome of macho and cool. Metalhawk remains one of my best-loved Autobots, which really is saying something considering I'm a Con fan; a truly valiant and capable warrior. As for Ginrai, he could get a little too brash for my liking at times, but he was a good character on the whole - a worthy successor to Optimus Prime. I often regard him as 'Son of Optimus Prime' or 'Optimus II', which I suppose isn't all too inaccurate.

We have to disagree regarding the Seacons, though, lol - I wasn't pleased with the limbs being drones. Never been a fan of 'cannon fodder' Decepticons, as my many rants on the subject in the Movie forum clearly show. In my lighter moments, however, I can sort of bring myself to snicker at this apparent foreshadowing of Power Core Combiners.

8. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought it was a clever way to give the Decepticons more men and it made a lot of sense to me. Like, if any one of the Seacons gets taken out, the 'cons lose their combiner. So, it made sense for the limbs to be drones that could be used to not only form King Poseidon, but to defend Decepticon installations.

9. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

Finished it (Shout versions) as well. Had a hard time doing so, years ago, when I watched the import without subs. Back then I had an episode synposis, but its just not the same as following it through with dialogue.

I didn't think I would like this Power Rangers version of TF, but I do. Unlike Headmasters, this show has lots of twists and character development. Reminds me of Armada in some ways. I don't even mind the humans in it. It also helps that the transectors actually end up becoming real Transformers by the end too.

10. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watching through it for the first time right now. I'm on episode 6 I think, so it's just getting started. So far the things that are impressing me are 1) the quality of the animation and 2) the use of humans to highlight the sense of scale.

And man, Bomburst is a Pretender I've had since I was a kid, but unfortunately he never got much of a characterization in the U.S. stuff. Really glad to see him in this series.

11. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I have a question for those who have the Shout Factory release - does anyone know if they are planning on releasing Masterforce in a single series edition, like Headmasters was? Or is it only going to be part of this mega box set?

12. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

I felt the same way about Skullgrin. Loved his toy as a kid, and I like his character on the show. I barely know any Japanese, but I get a kick out of his VA.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I want someone to post an entire page of that ginrai combing his hair gif.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This kind of fluctuates as the series goes on. The animation is nearly always at least decent, and is usually better than that. But there are also some episodes where the animation gets a little more rough and the human characters get drawn extremely wonky. It's a pretty drastic difference in some episodes.

15. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree with the lack of screentime for the pretenders

16. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You know, I figured Dauros was Skullgrin, but I didn't actually know until looked him up on the wiki. When I get my Generations Skullgrin in hand, I'm just going to call him Dauros.

[​IMG]

I have to agree with this. Sometimes the animation is really solid, and then other times it isn't.

17. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

Out of all the TF Animes, this is the one I come closest to liking. Metalhawk and Overlord are awesome. But as far as I am concerned, the is no such character as Ginari- there is only POWERMASTER OPTIMUS PRIME!

18. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Masterforce is great. Megabattimus, if you like Ginrai so much, CM's Corps is making an action figure of him in his power suit along with Minerva. They've only shown Minerva so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(This is a digibash, official grey proto pics here: CM's Corp Minerva Guttu Kurru Figure Prototype Images - Transformers News - TFW2005 )

And I totally agree about it being a shame we haven't gotten more toys of these guys, either classics versions or even reissues.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I got excited for a second, thinking we were finally seeing color shots of this (and maybe even a release date). I'm still waiting for an announcement of price-point, too, although I'm pretty sure it will be priced outside of my comfort zone.

20. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Eh, wake me up when they make Revoltech-like figures of Buster and Hydra in full Powermaster gear.