Finally a TV show that...

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by brawl 56, May 10, 2011.

1. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    ...follows the personalities of the characters in a true way?
    ...is more mature?
    ...shows us how evil the Cons really are?

That's my question for you guys.
    I'm pretty pleased with TF Prime and how it turned out yet.
    The characters are so well done and the show adheres to the actual definitions of the Bots and Cons.
    Especially the ones that had so many years some characteristics like cruel, evil, cowardly and so on.
    You know who I mean. Megatron and Starscream are so well portrayed in TF Prime like never seen before in any of the TF shows.
    Just look at the last two or three episodes and you can clearly see that the new show is clearly not only a kids show anymore.
    The civil war is also a theme that was kinda minimized (I mean some kind of child-friendly) and wasn't a big deal.
    They may talked about what happened in some past cycles but the true meaning of the word war was always hidden behind some friendly words.
    There weren't many talks about the casulties or neither did they show some unpleasant scenes.
    I think with TF Prime all of that changed a bit into a more mature direction, which is (in my eyes) a pretty good change and was somehow necessary.

2. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I love the diversity of the characters and how they're not 2D and have backgrounds and personalities. One of my favourite episodes is with Airachnid because of how they allowed Arcee to emote.

3. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sick Mind in special was an episode that really showed their post-warand bitter situation.

Just look at how characters wanted each other dead so much, heck, look at how the only reason Megatron considered helping Optimus was to see him die with his own eyes.

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    That praise is going a bit far. Yeah, it's a great show that touches on more serious points, but there are still elements that keep it in kid's show territory. Mostly because of the kids and the role they play in the story (complete with plot armor) and the effect that they have on the Autobots (with exception of Arcee and Optimus). Then there are the Decepticons with their scheme of the week that always backfire. That's not something you'd expect to see in a show with mature story telling.

I do like the show though, and hopefully it will pull a Beast Wars and skyrocket it's story telling in the next few episodes and through most of season 2. The potential for greatness is certainly there.

BTW, I have to disagree with what the OP said about Megatron. This version is, IMO, outclassed significantly by TFA Megatron.

5. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    @Ra
    I can see your point there.
    And I didn't meant that the whole show is full of mature material. I know that it's still a kids show, but this time definately with some more serious moments, like you said.

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I agree with this. I think people have been overstating the praise somewhat. It's a pretty strong show in most departments, though it still doesn't excite me the way Animated did with it's inventiveness and sophistication. For the most part I'm reluctant to fault the show. The core of what they're doing is pretty solid.

While I'm leaning more to the animated camp in most matters, I really, really like this Megatron. But Animated Megatron was so great. I honestly couldn't choose between them.

TFA Megatron was a pretty cerebral guy. Very thoughtful and cunning. TFP Megatron oozes with power. The main difference I see between them is TFP's is more impatient and malevolent, whereas TFA Megatron bided his time while his plan came together.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with that. Hopefully it will just keep those mature themes coming, though I don't think it can ever come close to how fucked up the backstory of Animated is. When you stop and think about it, the Autobots in that show are a pretty terrible lot, with only the main group and Jazz being genuinely good people.

Yup. I think that it comes down to preference and what kind of villain you like best.

8. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    In the context of either show I find they both balance out quite well. I think each Megatron is a pretty good compliment for the characters they're interacting with.

I love the dynamic between TFA Megatron and Lugnut for example... how little regard he has for his biggest fan and most loyal supporter. Soundwave is similarly loyal in TFP, but in a very different way, and probably more because he recognises how scheming and ineffective Starscream is. There's an effective contrast between the leadership qualities of Starscream and Megatron.

9. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    I dunno. I watched the whole Animated show, but it didn't caught me as much as Prime does now. It wasn't a bad show at all, but I think Animated didn't had this strong character development. It may be due to the overall number of characters. Prime does now have 11-12 characters (IIRC), while Animated got up to 20 or more characters. I think this "small" number of Bots and Cons allows Prime to bring a certain depth (in my eyes never seen before) into its robotic protagonists.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'm not sure why, but TF Prime just never grabbed me. I watched the first 4-5 episodes, didn't hate them or anything, but haven't had any desire to continue watching it. I'm sure it's a decent show, but it just didn't instanly pull me in the way Animated did - the first & only TF series since G1 to ever capture my interest. I'm just not a big fan of CGI cartoons like this (or Beast Wars back in the day), I get easily bored with these small 4-5 main cast Autobot & Decepticon teams, I dislike the movie influence of Bumblebee yet again being a glorified R2-D2, and I really hate the kid element. But I'm not badmouthing the show. Like I said, I'm sure it's good and I'm glad other people like it. Hopefully I can join the party if I ever sit down to properly watch it one day.

11. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    what I especially liked about Animated was how strong the characterisations were. There was no confusing one for the other. Lugnut was such a brilliant conception. Consider how 2-dimensional his world-view is, and how ingeniously it's reflected in his one-eyed design. Also bear in mind that this show also had a Shockwave, and yet the two purple cyclops couldn't have been more distinct from each other. It was a great ensemble piece that way. Every character found their own niche.

A character like Sentinel Prime was great for creating conflict and revealing how much better a leader Optimus was. Optimus wouldn't have been as likeable and sympathetic a character without Sentinel. In this way each character benefits the rest. One bounces off another, and there's tremendous chemistry, and contrast, and personal history between all of them. Bulkhead and Bumblebee, Black Arachnia and Waspinator, Mixmaster and Scrapper, the whole triangle between Black Arachnia, Sentinel and Optimus.

As cartoonish and simple as it appears, there's an underlying sophistication.

12. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    But I think you could say that about TF Prime, too.

Thats true, but this nuanced characters are also in TF Prime. They may not have the same physical characteristics but that isn't important. Especially if you don't have two characters with something in common it gets somehow harder to split them. With Lugnut and Shockwave you can seperate them also with their looks. But if this fact isn't given, you need to have two different personalities, so the characters can be differentiated from each other.

True true, but is it really necessary for a successful written character?

13. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Lugnut had 5 eyes, not one.

14. Bumblethumper

News Credits:
    yes, but he favours one. The others are vestigial, useless.

In some respects, but I'm not really seeing the same level of contrast and chemistry so far. I like Megatron/Starscream/Soundwave, and Ratchet is a good counterpoint for most of the other bots. I'm not fond of this Arcee, but I recognise a lot that makes sense in her bond with Jack.

Characters like Skyquake were kinda forgettable though. Even some of the cameobots on TFA had stronger designs.

15. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    Kinda like Briareos from the Appleseed Saga.

16. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Though I really appreciate how the writers have thrown a few bones towards we older fans, I’m a bit disappointed in the cliché of good versus evil. Why do the villains always have to be portrayed as stupid, impatient, traitorous and/or crazy? And why are the heroes always white knights with the shiniest of armor with the bravest steeds.

I want something a bit grayer on both sides of war. Why couldn’t the war that fractured Cybertron be a mature, provocative war of revenge and survival?

I always felt dropping the Quintessons from Transformers was a huge mistake, as their nature could have basis for Megatron’s hatred towards organic life and the force to which he rallied his troops. Organic life turned Cybertron upside down, enslaved its people and whored them across the galaxy.

The Cybertronian uprising could have seen the end of the Quintessons and what followed could have been the very thing that forced Cybertronians to choose sides. Those who thirsted for justice might have continued hunting down those in league with the Quintessons, targeting organic life, raiding recourses from worlds or system with and without life indiscriminately could have been the very things that made uneasy Cybertronians follow Optimus Prime.

Yeah, I know what I’m saying isn’t all that different from what has (and still does) happen in each incarnation of the Transformers, but what I’m trying to say is this: I want the reasons for the villains to be clear and for reasons that aren’t tied to power. Moreover, I want both sides portrayed to have something light and dark about them.

Why can’t we question the actions of both the Autobots and the Decepticons? War isn’t always black and white. Why can’t we viewers decided who the heroes or villains are?

17. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Ratchet. Bulkhead. Arcee. You cannot tell me with a straight face that their armor is perfectly shiny.

18. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With the exception of Arcee, who has tested the waters (though she still holds the ideals of Autobots close to her spark), I’d say the others are still white knights, yes. Ratchet, though grouchy, still means well—he’s all talk, and Bulkhead is still a gentle giant who wants to do the right thing.

Had Arcee’s actions resulted in the injury or death of an ally or had she been punished for not following orders, I would feel differently. As things are now, the ones you’ve mentioned are all talk.

19. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Bulkhead? Wanting to do the right thing? Like letting an innocent human remain in Decepticon captivity just because "he's a jerk"?

As for Arcee doing things that end up with her partners killed... she doesn't have to do anything in order for that to happen, now does she? =D

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    He also did this multiple times, once with someone he didn't even know personally.