[Final Four] Contest #1: #1 Metroplex vs #3 Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Mar 30, 2009.

?

[Final 4] Contest #1: #1 Metroplex vs #3 Megatron

Poll closed Apr 2, 2009.
  1. Metroplex

68.0%
  2. Megatron

32.0%
  1. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Final Four Contests

#1 Seed Metroplex vs #3 Seed Megatron

Voting ends at 11:00 pm(CT), April 1st, 2009.

BRACKET LINK:
    http://www.geocities.com/cartoonsshowdown/ttourny2.mht

Tournament History

How they got here:
    Metroplex defeats Ravage: 37 to 15
    Metroplex defeats Skywarp: ? to ?
    Metroplex defeats Soundwave: 58 to 16
    Metroplex defeats Galvatron: 59 to 28

Megatron defeats Bumblebee: 45 to 8
    Megatron defeats Prowl: 59 to 8
    Megatron defeats Defensor: 56 to 11
    Megatron defeats Shockwave: 63 to 44

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

METROPLEX

ALLEGIANCE: AUTOBOT
    FUNCTION: BATTLE STATION

"Vigilance is the foundation upon which victories are built."

Profile: Possessed of startling versatility and staggering strength, Metroplex is the robot they depend on when all other options are exhausted. In battle, he is a mighty instrument of titanic destructive force, unwavering and ever-valiant in his attack. The very ground trembles when he unleashes the explosive energies of his weaponry. But despite his enormous power, Metroplex suffers from extreme modesty. In fact, he often berates himself for not being able to contribute more to the Autobot cause, a comment that never fails to mystify his comrades and even causes some to shake their heads and laugh at its absurdity. Metroplex's role usually prevents him from being in the front lines, a situation he finds frustrating, but one the other Autobots understand and accept completely. Their friendship and respect for him is clear evidence of that. And they all prefer Metroplex in his current role. Knowing he's backing them up is a constant source of reassurance. As one Autobot once said, "No matter what happens to the rest of us, the war's not over as long as Metroplex is there."

Abilities: In robot mode, Metroplex has enormous strength. He can lift 70,000 tons. His armor is the equal of any Transformer's; to merely scratch it would require at least a low-yield nuclear explosion. He has left shoulder-mounted twin high-energy MASER (microwave amplification through stimulated emission of radiation) cannons and a retractable omni-directional receiving and transmitting rod antenna in his right shoulder. His chest module contains a storage bay capable of holding a mid-size vehicle. In Autobot City mode, he has a helipad and ramps leading to the storage bay and various repair bays. Using a full complement of armatures, welders, presses, microsensors, gauges and spare parts, he's able to service up to four vehicles at any one time. His left rear tower transforms into a tank called Slammer. Metroplex can control Slammer for a maximum range of 40 miles. Slammer's cannon shoots explosive rocket-propelled mortar shells that have a 1.5-mile range. Scamper, the small sports car berthed within Metroplex, carries side-mounted electro-blasters that shoots streams of 20,000-volt electricity. In robot mode, Scamper uses a high-energy particle beam pistol. Scamper has a maximum speed of 150 mph and a range of 500 miles. Six-Gun, the small robot made literally of six guns and Metroplex's central tower, is a walking, talking artillery battery. In addition to the twin surface-to-air guided missile launchers he wears on his back, Six-Gun has ion-pulse rifles for arms and sometimes uses a seventh gun, a high-temperature acetylene pistol that can melt through most metals. Scamper and Six-Gun operate independently of Metroplex. Each has a mind of his own, although each essentially has a personality nearly identical to Metroplex and is mind-linked to him and each other.

Scamper tends to be more impulsive and gregarious, Six-Gun more belligerent. The three minds together can be considered units of a single, larger mind, although Metroplex's mind is clearly dominant. Metroplex mostly uses Scamper, Six-Gun, and Slammer to scout and defend his periphery, although occasionally he'll send one or more on short missions. Metroplex's final form, the mobile Battle Station, is a wheeled platform whose formidable firepower makes him virtually untouchable. In this mode, Metroplex can have up to 12 pieces of artillery blazing away simultaneously. In addition to the previously mentioned MASER cannons, ion-pulse rifles and missile launchers, he's equipped with twin independent mounted disruptor rays on top, capable of interfering with electric currents within a target's body; two laser lances; and two front-mounted anti-matter projectors, the most powerful of all his weapons, which are capable of producing and shooting minute packets of anti-matter that obliterate anything upon contact. Metroplex can also use all these weapons in his Autobot City mode.

Weaknesses: Metroplex's autonomous units - Scamper, Slammer, and Six-Gun - are all relatively vulnerable to attack as compared to Metroplex himself. In Battle Station mode, Metroplex is a rather slow-moving vehicle, making him an easy target, but his weaponry usually more than compensates for this. Using his anti-matter projectors, however briefly, is tremendously draining for Metroplex and can leave him nearly energyless.

MEGATRON

ALLEGIANCE: DECEPTICON
    FUNCTION: DECEPTICON LEADER

"Everything is fodder."

Profile: Love, compassion, mercy are words that have no meaning for Megatron. He has risen to the leadership of the Decepticons by a combination of brute strength, military cunning, ruthlessness, and terror. On Cybertron he was commanding general in charge of all military operations against the Autobots, who referred to him as "The Slag-Maker." It was a title of fear. A title of respect. A title Megatron relished. His banishment to Earth has only made him more bitter and more evil-minded, if that is possible. He aches to return to Cybertron and complete his mission of eradicating the Autobots. But while on Earth he is dedicated to eliminating those Autobots marooned here with him - and his plans go far beyond that. He realizes the Earth is one huge stockpile of metal and fuel resources and means to possess it all, with the aid of his fellow Decepticons. But his plans go even further, plans so grandiose even his fellow Decepticons are unaware: Megatron intends to enslave the entire human race. He allows no exceptions to his motto.

Abilities: Megatron is incredibly powerful and intelligent, the equal of Autobot Leader Optimus Prime. His fusion cannon can convert any small amount of matter into large quantities of explosive nuclear energy. The cannon can fire a blast up to 12 miles and release enough energy to flatten a small town. Megatron can use his internal circuitry to connect the cannon interdimensionally with a black hole, where it can draw on anti-matter as its power source. The blast from this is far greater, but it creates a tremendous strain on Megatron to do this for even one blast.

Weaknesses: Megatron has no known weaknesses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech Spec Breakdown

Strength:
    Metroplex:10 Megatron:10
    Intelligence:
    Metroplex:8 Megatron:10
    Speed:
    Metroplex:2 Megatron:4
    Firepower:
    Metroplex:10 Megatron:10
    Skill:
    Metroplex:9 Megatron:9
    Endurance:
    Metroplex:9 Megatron:8
    Courage:
    Metroplex:10 Megatron:9
    Metroplex:8 Megatron:10

2. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    Here we go! The first of the two Final Four matchups. Who will go on to the Championship? BTW for this contest voting will be open for 3 full days. Let the debate/discussion begin...

Autobot vs Decepticon baby

3. Allsparky

Allsparky Denied

If nobody else has done it thus far, I don't see Megs doing it either. I'm not going to bother elaborating any further on it (do I really need to)? Bring on Omega/Predaking!

4. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I voted for Megatron...

Naw, I realy voted for Metroplex.

5. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Metroplex easily

6. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see how Megatron can win this one. I don't recall subtlety being one of Megatron's strong points so I don't see how he can sneak inside.

7. OptimusSolo

News Credits:
    :lolol 

8. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Who will break the shutout??

Metroplex wins.

9. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    I think it might be safe to declare a winner in this one after three hours. The voting so far is quite one-sided.

As it should be. Metroplex is in an entirely different class.

edit: Seriously, I have to wonder how long this voting trend will continue. So far, it looks like Ravage put up more of a fight than Megatron!

10. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Yup. Trypticon needs to be in the tournament to balance things out. I'm backing Metroplex for the championship.

All rhetoric aside, Metroplex knows coming into this match that he is going one-on-one with the one and only leader of all Decepticons, the Emperor of Destruction, Megatron. All that doubt, etc. that is in his profile of thinking he doesn't do enough for the Autobot cause...well he has a chance right here to obliterate largest thorn in the Autobots. That's something Optimus Prime himself could never do. And you know Metroplex is thinking about that going into the fight. He's not holding back...he's making sure the Autobots get this.

Megatron doesn't stand a chance in hell.

11. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta go with Metroplex.

12. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Has there been a shutout in this competition yet?

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i voted for megatron just because no one else would lol. *laughs and runs away*

14. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strike it from the record!!

I was gonna say before that whoever votes for Megatron first should be required to explain his/her reasoning and not just vote and run lol.

You bastard:lol 

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow, I'm again torn. I think much like the last few rounds I'll read comments, mull things over, and vote on the last day, or even in the last few hours. (BTW, I voted Megs in the last round.) Well reasoned arguements have been made for both in the past, but still some points to touch on:

Megatron

The deck does look very stacked against Megs. His work manipulating Cybertronian society, keeping brutal cutthroats, and killing hundreds or thousands of bots to both keep his place in power and to earn the title of "The Slag Maker" takes one hell of a tough bot. In the various media we've seen him win with his bare hands, with mace and other weaponry, and with his iconic fusion cannon. He's brilliant, vicious, tough, skilled, and powerful.

However, none of that really matters against a freaking city, does it?

That said, the one power we've never really seen can win him this fight. Linking up with a Black Hole and firing off one hella powerful blast would probably be sufficient to kill Metroplex, particularly if it lands in the face or chest. All throughout the tournament, even I have been dismissive of this ability, as Megatron (and all of us) know that such a blast would leave him considerably weakened, with a cost of missing that's so great that Megs would probably not bother to employ said ability to win a fight. However, he's not fighting Shockwave, or some other bot, he is facing an entire cityformer. A being that dwarfs gestalts. A being that would be hard to miss. A being that would find it near impossible to dodge the blast.

Additionally, we don't know exactly how weakened a Black Hole powered blast will leave Megs. The bio/specs say tremendously strained, but that's a very vague term. Will one blast leave him barely conscious? Will he just be fatigued? Could he fire again, either another BH powered blast or a regular one?

Megatron knows who he's up against and what Metroplex is bringing to the table. Megs best strategy is end the fight as quickly as possible, by putting everything he's got in one blast to end the fight ASAP. And with a target like Metroplex, he isn't likely to miss.

Metroplex

Let's face it, it's Metroplex. The biggest and arguably most powerful Transformer in US Media. He's the only thing that S3 Galvatron outright fears (As Galvatron will immediately order a retreat if Metroplex has no foe to keep him busy, and when Soundwave had a weapon that would allow him to win against anyone, he passes up Cybertron to head to Earth to attack Metroplex.). He's huge, he's powerful, he's a freaking city! (Plus, as a kid, he really was a cool toy IMHO.) His bio includes more firepower then most nations do.

Knowing who he's fighting, and what Megatron is capable of, I think Metroplex is actually going to employ nearly the exact same plan. He's going to bring all the weapons he can to bear, and discharge his Anti-matter cannons with as much power as possible in an attempt to wipe out Megs with the first (and likely only) volley. Furthermore, with this strategy Metroplex has a backup plan. If Megs does use his BH cannonblast but somehow survives Metroplex's volley, he's also got Scamper to finish off a weakened Megs. Plus Scamper and Sixgun may both hold enough of Metroplex's personality or may even emergency download his Spark that even if Megatron obliterated the head/chest of Metroplex, Metro would still survive.

Hypothesis

This is almost a quick draw battle. I'm leaning currently towards Metroplex just due to Scamper and Sixshot as outlined above.

FWIW, that's really one badass pic of Megatron in the introduction.

16. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    I have to agree that Megs' black hole ability would be just about his only shot at beating Metroplex. I mean if people voted against Galvatron, who's a more powerful version of Megs, minus the BH ability, I don't think flying around and ebbing away at Metroplex will work any better with a prior form.

The biggest unknown is this black hole ability. How powerful is it? It's got to be powerful since it's connected to a black hole but just how much is the question. Enough to kill a citybot in one shot? How long does it take to charge up? Would he have time before Metroplex blasted him? Does he have to be stationary or can he move around while charging it up? If he's stationary and it takes a bit, Megs is pretty screwed. And as already mentioned, once used how bad off is Megs?

Looking at the media, there's hardly a mention of this ability. In the UK comics, Megs powered it up to take out Aunty. He didn't blast her though since Windcharger and Ravage saved the day, so he decided to turn his power on Prime. Windcharger prevented the blast from occurring by using his magnetic powers to send Megs through the mountainside and flying apparently far enough away to consider the danger passed. I actually went looking for any reference to this black hole ability used in any of the TF media outside this source and I found two although they're shaky.

One reeks of bad plot device where apparently he used the black hole ability to take over another body to become Rebirth/Reverse Convoy. How does a black hole grant this ability? Dunno. As I said, it reeks of bad writing.

The other instance I found was in the Comic Bom Bom Generation 2 manga, where Megatron apparently used an ability called "Black Hole Burn". Megs was aiming at Prime but missed but apparently nailed Hooligan in the process and vaporized him. Now whether this was the BH ability or just a powerful fusion blast with a funny name, I dunno. Hell, I don't even know if this was a G1 Megs prior to getting a tank form or not. I got this from the Megatron tfwiki page, so if anyone has the original source material, please post it...preferably translated.

EDIT: Nevermind about being a tank or no. Apparently, according to G2's tech spec from tfu.info, he also has the BH ability.

As of now, I haven't voted but I'm leaning towards Metroplex. There are too many questions around this BH ability of Megs for me to lean his way.

17. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Megatron may be one tough bot with no weaknesses, but he couldn't even possibly bring down Unicron by himself.

So.... I voted for Metroplex for the win.

18. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Unlike the Shockwave vs. Megatron round, I believe this fight will be short and to the point. As others have already pointed out, both combatants will want to end the contest as quickly as possible.

MEGATRON

Megatron would probably use his black hole ability, but even a fully-powered fusion blast from him is said to level a small town, so I don't think he will discard it completely. He may use it to disable some of the many, many (many) weapons that Metroplex has in order to line up a clear shot with the BH blast. This, of course presumes that Megatron is quick enough to stay out of Metro's line of sight. He is faster than Metro, but that doesn't say he is faster than Metro's guns.

METROPLEX

Which brings me to Metro's side of the fight. Obviously, Metro would want to prevent Megatron from using the BH ability, so he would probably keep a near-constant barrage of everything he has (minus the anti-matter cannons) aimed squarely at Megs.

The question here is, how fast is Metro able to lock on to a target and actually hit it? Obviously, his physical movements are painfully slow for a one-on-one confrontation, but it also stated in his bio that his formidable weaponry was usually enough to compensate for this shortcoming (at least in battle station mode).

It is also stated that it would take a minimum of a low-yield nuclear blast just to scratch his armor, so Megatron's normal fusion blasts won't do very much to Metro himself. However, as mentioned above, it could potentially take out one or more of Metro's weapons systems. Even so, I don't believe Megatron's speed would allow him to take them all out before being struck by one or more of them first.

Also, there is the matter of Scamper and Slammer. They can offer flanking artillery or diversionary tactics to keep Megatron off-guard. Sure, by themselves they may not cause too much damage, but that's really not their purpose. They would be used to divert Megs' attention away from Metro and Six-Gun (who would be in his component pieces during this fight).

Megatron could take them out with one blast, but it doesn't state in his bio that Metroplex would feel any pain like Optimus would with his components. It may just come off as a loss of communication. But it would probably affect Metroplex somehow.

Besides, I think Megatron would be more concerned with Metro himself than with the other two to notice them outflanking him. He could attempt to stay out of range, but that may hinder his own chances as well. Not to mention it would be highly uncharacteristic of Megatron.

My vote goes to Metroplex.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  19. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    Technically he did give a reason for why he voted. Just not one you're likely to accept. :lolol 

20. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I'm torn here. I want Megatron to win, but I just don't see it happening. I think Megatron could start out the fight rational, but after some time, seeing his attacks having little to no effect on Metroplex, I'd imagine Megatron would get angry, which would make him sloppy. He'd either try to pull off his BH attack without proper cover, probably leaving him vulnerable before he could fire or while he's recovering, or he'd try a head-on attack, which doesn't really work when your enemy had weapons on his head. Big ones too.