Final Four: #1 Whirl vs #1 Wreck-Gar

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OptimusSolo, Oct 4, 2009.

?

Final Four: #1 Whirl vs #1 Wreck-Gar

Poll closed Oct 8, 2009.
  1. Whirl

59.0%
  2. Wreck-Gar

41.0%
  1. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Not much being said about WG despite his 11 votes.

2. PB379

PB379 Autobot

At this stage I will be voting for Whirl. I think he has the FIrepower and Skill to take out Wreck Gar. As someone else has already stated, it is one thing to be able to reassemble yourself, and another to have time to do it without being shot to pieces again.

I also don't think the Cybertron would have the Raw Material lying around to reassemble himself like the Plant of Junk.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Hm. That's a tough sell for me. I don't really see the Junkions as "insulated"... if anything, there's probably more holes in their superstructure, and more exposed wiring, etc. The notion that their "junky" construction gives them a sort of additional "armour" doesn't seem likely to me.

Why is that? If one is insulated, wouldn't a second blast just run into the exact same insulation? Would the insulation become "degraded" with subsequent shots?

I might be inclined to grant Junkions some additional defense against a weapon like the Null Ray, but more for the reasons Krypto is suggesting.

It is a linear direct beam weapon, yeah... but if feels to me like whenever we see it's effects, it's as if the entire TF is engulfed by the Null Ray's effect... in that sense, it doesn't matter where the target is hit, the neutralizing power covers the whole body. Possibly like getting an electrical shock?

But that's open to discussion. That's just the impression I always had.

Mayyyyybe... there's a logic there, but I doubt it would respond quick enough. Obviously in order for Wreck Gar to operate, he must have some kind of central nervous system, even though it might be capable of operating in fragments.

Or do you mean that each major junction is autonomous, like they're all connected to one wireless network that just happens to work in concert?

That seems to match the described effects of the Null Ray actually... the Paralyzo box probably works differently.

zmog

4. Omnus

Omnus needs more time TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really, you're going to go with the illustration on the front of the manual as a good canonical source, really? Even when the labeling in the instruction manual directly contradicts the tech specs for what his photon beam rifle and the incendiary-shell cannons are among his equipment?

I'm just going to quote his tech spec here. Whirl doesn't have a published MU long-form bio, so what we're seeing at the beginning of the thread is just a parsed form of the tech spec anyway.

Does a pattern strike anybody here as to the grouping of the weapons and noting of other abilities?

On this subject, I'll stop right here for the moment. I've had a day filled with aggravations, so the only thing else I can think of to say is cruel, petty, and does not deserve to be said (right know there is a part of me that wants to spew alot of vitriol that I am beating back down with a bat that has sharp chunks of ceramic embedded in it).

Well, I would say something, but it's been a long day (see my last paragraph). Maybe I'll think of more positive things to say.

Although it does seem to me that people are focusing alot on how much Wreck-Gar could put himself back together in this environment. Not much on how it helps him otherwise.

And then there's the fact that he has a shield and a '10' in Endurance and doesn't trail Whirl by much in the stats that he does, except for Speed.

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm not saying "additional armour".

I'm saying that typically when one is salvaging parts from electrnics one will find that that the insulation from other machines or other constructs is still useable.

The way I see it,Junkions would have plenty of insulation to work with from all the junk they collect.

All types of insulation is rated and only protects against a certin amount or degree for a certin amount of time, of what its designed to protect against.

Kind of like a fire proof box only being able to with stand degrees up to [lets say] 500 degrees for about [lets say] 2 hours.

Assimilation of heat or time past what it was designed to handel and the insulation of the box becomes ineffective.

And the way I see it, the effects of a Null ray are acumilitive.[spelling?]Hit some one with either enough endurance or better insulation and the first hit may not do much.......but keep hitting him and you can wear him or his insulation down.

6. BurnedAlive

BurnedAlive Horrorcon

looks like whirl is a good distance ahead of WG in the polls. and as Omegagoalie said, no one has posted a good wreck-gar argument (or any argument for that matter).

7. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Well it smells like Omnus has an idea cookin' so we have his post to look forward to :) 

8. SMOG

Yep. :) 

And the manual doesn't contradict anything directly. It only shows that the weapons can be reassigned to the various parts of his body (though someone who actually owns the toy can fill us in on whether this is possible or just artistic license).

His bio doesn't match the names of any of the weapons to their physical likeness. The Manual is the only source we have that actually defines which weapon is which. It's usually what I turn to when I want to know more about the equipment that comes with a TF.

For example, nobody ever talks about Megatron's Infrared Laser Gun.

Also, you yourself have referred to such secondary sources in the past. Even without looking at the manual, there was some debate as to whether the bio indicates he is limited to the use of only certain weapons in each mode, or whether some flexibility might be allowed there. The manual (and possibly the design of the toy itself) might further strengthen the case for this flexibility.

What do you want... an award? Passive-aggressive semi-contained tirades and condescension is still spewing vitriol, but with a false face of high-handed restraint slapped on top.

But whatev... you just touched a nerve here too, so I'll leave it at that... and you can get a grip on your cruel and petty proclivities. :mad 

I think it's more to do with the fact that he DOES trail Whirl in those attributes, and most of his Endurance is attributed to the mere fact that he CAN put himself back together, rather than expiring outright.

Given that they both have similar specialized weaponry (though Whirl has more, and additional damaging weapons to boot), and similar physical capabilities (though Whirl's are still better generally), I'm not sure if that little round shield makes up for Whirl's speed, agility or flight capacity. It still seems like Whirl has the edge. It's not an unsurmountable edge... but it's enough to expect him to come out on top in most circumstances.

zmog

9. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neither of these two should have made it this far.

10. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    Sure they should have. They have the numbers to prove it :)  Do you just not like these two?

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    come now thats not fair both have unique talents and skills that helped them get to this point just because they may have beaten someof your favorites is no reason to dis them

12. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    The null ray can be held in either "hands" and the weapons that mount on his legs do face forward in bot mode which leaves me to say that they are in fact available to him in bot mode.

13. Omega_Soundwave

Omega_Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They didn't beat my favourites, I just think that they should have been knocked out earlier. They're strong, but I don't think either should be in the top 4.

IMO, Wreck-Gar should not have defeated Motormaster.

14. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut snack TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I vote for Wreckgar because he's weird, unpredictable, and, in the Animated Series, voiced by Weird Al Yankovic. How many transformers have the star power of Weird Al and Eric Idle behind them, Hmm?!? Hmmm?!?!?!?

On the other hand, Whirl hasn't even been in any transformers media that I can think of. This lack of popularity will translate into feelings of low self esteem on the battlefield, which will severly hamper his performance. His paralyzo box and null ray don't factor in because he will simply not use them. "What's the point," a depressed Whirl will say as Wreckgar gleefully beats him to a pulp.

Also, I hate to bring this up but Whirl's toy looks dangerously skinny, especially in the legs. I think the lack of media exposure may have sent Whirl into a spiral of depression and eating disorders. Though his stats are great, in his weakened condition he's in no shape to continue these contests. Let's all hope Whirl gets the help he needs, soon.

Wreckgar for the win!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  15. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    fixed :lol 

16. SMOG

I hate you.

:D 

17. omegagoalie

Ebay:
    He should have and did :D  Wreck-Gar was the better bot.

18. BurnedAlive

BurnedAlive Horrorcon

He won just because he is a popular and unique character, while motormaster is your average unlikable decepticon. Motormaster could easily flatten him under his grill.

IMO, Motormaster should have won, and wreck-gar should have lost.

also, i think sandstorm should have beaten WreckGar.

19. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Motormaster is nothing more than a Thug who lacked what it takes to down Wreck-gar and lets not get into it about that @#%$#@#@!!! sword okay?

as for Sandstorm he lacked a weapon that could do enough damage to beat Wreck-gar

20. BurnedAlive

BurnedAlive Horrorcon

hes not really a thug, more of a fierce brawler.

and sandstorm could have just out-skilled WG to death.