Final Fantasy? ...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by eyeballkid, Aug 8, 2012.

1. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I just picked up 13, it's OK... stuck on Odin. I know there is a sequel, and maybe a sequel to that in the works, but what else can they do? It just seems like they design a bunch of cool stuff, and then make a game around the art. Perhaps I'm wrong. For the record, I have played and beat 1,4,6 and 10. 6 is hands down my favorite. Thoughts?

2. Shatterpoint

Shatterpoint Neato

News Credits:
    Kill it with fire.

3. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Good luck with Aster Protowhateverium. It took me half a year to beat him.

4. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    how bout you play though XIII and XIII-2 then get back to us.

XIII-2 is left open on a major cliffhanger, one that I hope to play a XIII-3 for and see resolved.

5. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

The story in 13 wasn't bad at all, and the battle system while simplistic was fun. The only thing that gets worn out is the linearity of it. But like FF8 if you want a good story then you're able to get it. Only thing that irks me is that they made a sequel to it and now have a planned sequel to the sequel.

But on a different note, you might wanna download FF7 on the PSN and give it a whirl, a definite classic.

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The logistics of the sequels are understandable, though.

The HD assets are intensive as hell to develop, so they're going to milk them for all they're worth.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My main issues with FF13 was the ability capping and lack of anything to do but battles. There were no real diversions outside the cinematics. The capping was frustrating becuase it shoehorned you into fighting battles precisely the way the developers wanted you to with little to no room for error or experimenting.

I liked some of the characters, the story was unique, the visuals were top notch, and the soundtrack was pretty good. I just assume that 13 is it's own game and the sequels are "what ifs?", since it looks like they took some liberties with the story.

8. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

I didn't like XIII. It was the closest thing to an "on-rails" RPG I've ever seen, giving you virtually zero freedom until the third act of the game. The battle system, while visually dynamic, is rarely interesting because it usually ends up with one or two characters flinging nondescript spells at enemies. You can launch enemies in the air, but then it's just the same uninteresting combos. The classes were eventually shared by everyone those certain characters were better in certain areas. The game's environments were pretty but choked into bland corridors with little to no branches, so that when you were finally given a large playing field you felt overwhelmed. Oh yeah, and having absolutely nothing to do aside from fight and proceed to the next fight was dull. The story was bland and featured each character discovering the same thing every hour or so, and while some of the character relationships were very well devised, the character never resolved issues between one another and no character really had high stakes. I mean, they had the chance to do a drastic kill, and they faked us out? Why?

From what I saw of XIII-2, some issues with the battle system were fixed, but the lack of of cohesiveness due to the nature of the story and jumping locales with a real lack of overworld still damaged the game, in my opinion. That, and the story just seemed to come out of nowhere in comparison to the first game, with all of the old ideas intact but this entirely new, wonky crazy aspect thrown in.

I don't know, I think XIII needs to end and Square needs to go back and rethink their JRPG elements. While XIII-2 had more content and other things to do aside from battles, it still just felt so limited.

I hate to bring it up, but I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles for a while now, and clocked in 60+ hours without finishing them main story- there's so much to do and so much freedom in that game coupled with a varied and interesting battle system that allows you a lot of freedom. It's just a great JRPG, and XIII pales so much in comparison with it- even XII, which has similarities in battle system, is nowhere close to this game. I just hope Square can get back on their game.

9. tinspider

tinspider Well-Known Member

7 and 8 were by far the best FF games for me. I can't seem to play FF13. I get very bored and just can't be bothered. First time I've ever felt that in a FF game and I've played and finished every FF game since 5.

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Of the Final Fantasy Series, I've played I, II, IV, V, IV, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII (for like an hour) and XIV. Of them I beat IV, V, VI, VII, and IX, got to the last disc of VIII before deciding I just didn't care anymore and have been playing XI actively for about 8 years and finished most major story lines.

I and II I didn't get to play until well after I was used to modern graphics and play features so I was never able to really get into them. I played IV, V and VI on my PSOne however so I didn't really have the same problem as they were updated enough to easily get into. VII was my first FF title (like many people I'm sure) and is still one of my favorite games to date, with VI and XI along side it. VIII I played a lot but never really enjoyed it. The story, the characters and the battle system all seemed more annoying to me then fun. Though looking back the "Squall dies" theory in my head, it does get some extra bonus points for sort of working with a possibly abstract story concept. IX was a nice throwback to the original FF games, though the...unique character design art style and the abrupt ending did kind of irk me.

With X, I played it, I beat it and I just did not like it. It was the first of the "No world map" FFs that's so common place today, the story was just convoluted in all the wrong ways, the setting and style of the game was just...ugly (imo) and out of a playable cast of 7 characters, only one was actually badass and cool, two were kind of ok but ultimately useless in the long run and the remaining four were outright annoying. And XII, well as I said I played it for an hour or so...but really only like 20 minutes of that was actual gameplay. I enjoy a good cut scene just like any other gamer but my GOD was there way too much movie in that one. Overall though I can't really say whether it was good or bad because I never gave it a full chance, it just didn't do anything to make me *want* to play it. XIII and all it's sequels just gave off the same vibe to me so I never even attempted to give them a shot, and from all I've heard I'm not missing out.

XI on the other hand, and I'm most likely alone in this regard, I fell in love with as soon as I started it up. It was my first MMO and really my first PC game, so I didn't have anything to compare it to at the time I started playing, but the world, the stories, the music and just about everything about it was exactly what a Final Fantasy game should be. The only real downside to the game was the required grouping and grinding to actually get anywhere in it, which was more a side effect of it being an MMO then anything. But that artificial difficulty made it so any and every accomplishment felt like it actually meant something. It also led to me meeting people who to this day I still talk to on a daily basis both in and out of the game. Combined with some of the best music, stories, characters and battles in FF history, and the game has given me good reason to continue playin git for the better part of a decade.

XIV however did not fare so well. Despite being built on some interesting gameplay ideas and some beautiful visuals, it was launched *way* too early and was no where near ready to be played. It's initial failure was well deserved as the people who were in charge of it at the time showed absolutely no interest in releasing a finished product and instead seemed to just be banking on the FF name to sell the game. A decision that quickly bit them in the ass as even the most hardcore fans wouldn't play that game in the state it was in. However the old team was swiftly removed and a new team was put in place that started aiming the game in a much better direction to the point where it's upcoming 2.0 re-release looks like it might be worth trying. While the game failed in many aspects, characters, stories, music and cutscenes were always high quality. With improved gameplay mechanics it just might be worth giving it a month trial to see how much it's changed.

11. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    XIII was fine I liked the story, though Final Fantasy 7 will always remain as my top favorite FF game. But I will admit the way you upgrade weapons, XIII urks me just a bit. XIII-2 while still having a great story it was just more simple this time around and a bit easier...Which I do not mind, but the going back in time thing during the same area didn't do it for me it was if Square Enix got lazy and decided "Oh lets make this place snowy to add more variety into the game" , but non the less it's still a great game.

12. Cracka J

News Credits:
    what's up with all the love for VIII here? It's by far considered to be one of, if not the worst game in the entire (offline) franchise as far as gameplay/story/graphics go. the only saving grace is the soundtrack which imho is uematsu's best work. I had such mixed feelings about the game because I hated everything about it, yet uematsu kept reaching for my gut on some of those tracks and made me want to actually care about the wtfbbq mess of a story and characters. honestly I think that's why it's such an important soundtrack to me, it kept me playing all the way through when every other part of my body was telling me to stop :lol 

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Because people finally got around to stop judging VIII by the "it's not VII" yardstick, and started judging the game on its own merits.

I love VIII. The gameplay itself is far more refined and engaging than VII (with a lot more focus, rather than VII's "we're 3D now! how much crazy 3D things can we throw in?!" grab-bag). Apart from a few cludgy writing conventions, the story is far more in-depth and thoughtful than most FFs, and the characters are much more grounded and realistic and believable. The political intrigue angle, in particular, created one of the most driven and intense plots in the series as a whole. It's got the best damned mini-game the series has offered as of yet. The Draw/Junction system was a bit of a misstep, but combat itself was the best that the traditional ATB system had to offer: fast-paced and hectic, with a few extra tactile elements to prevent you from falling asleep at the wheel.

Loved XIII as well, but I recognize that the game needed a bit more variety to its step. I had no problem with the on-rails aspect, when it can be similarly assessed that the vast majority of previous games were similarly linear (they just tried to hide it by making the corridor a wide-open field. But there was still only one town you could go to, and one person you needed to talk to at every major step in the road that would actually see you make any progress). It just needed another element or two to distract from the constant battles, as much as I loved those. It was the first FF game since forever where I actually derived any sense of challenge at all from the regular encounters, and many of the bosses could be real pieces of work until you could deduce a strategy. The plot itself was shallow, but the real point of the game was in watching this small group of characters grow and adapt to their situations, and as a character-centric piece, the cast really shined, and I grew to love each and every one of them.

XIII-2 addressed the gameplay variety issue in spades, although I felt the plot suffered a bit by shunting away that core cast which I loved so dearly. The best parts of the story were in simply catching up with old friends. But dang, if the ending doesn't have me drooling in anticipation for the next chapter...

14. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I'm a big FF8 fan. The only FF I think that may be better is FF6. I have to say one of the main reasons is the soundtrack. I felt that FF7 had a disapointing soundtrack after following the amazing FF6 and being CD based, but FF8 made up for it with some incredible orchestrated pieces and battle themes. The battle and learning system in FF8 could be complicated and tedious if you try to over do it right away, but once you get the hang of it it turns out to be pretty fun, intuitive, and extremely customizable. It's not my favorite system, but it's close. The script had a lot of character and I liked a lot of the characters since they seemed realistic and relatable, but the overall story wasn't the strongest- if you focus on the main plot about a sorceress from the future. If you pay more attention to the characters and the subplots, particularly the one between Squall and Rinoa's parents, then you have some of the better story telling in a FF. The main plot was more then passable by JRPG standards, but it wasn't the best. Either way, I would take good and entertaining characterization over a better general plot anyday- it just keeps it far more entertaining IMO. FF8 had that in spades.

Now, I'm no longer really a big JRPG fan anymore, and some of the designs now can bother me and I don't really like how everyone is always so young in the games- but to me, FF games get a free pass because they have been doing it before it got overdone. However, if you tried playing the Playstation era FF games now or several years after the fact, there's a chance of them being far less appealing.

15. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

8 was OK, except for the card game. I just wish that a future game can give the characters individual skills that other characters can't learn. I liked 10 because of that, and 4 and 6. Sure in 6 everyone could learn magic, but it was part of the story.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Blasphemy. Triple Triad was the best mini-game ever. I could just keep playing that and completely forget about the main quest and I'd be happy.

17. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    13-2 is so much better IMO... didn't finish 13... Got a deal on 13-2 last week and got curious.

My sister is replaying 13 from scratch after getting interested while watching 13-2 gameplay.

18. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Agreed- triple triad was great. FF9 Tetra master... not so good.

19. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you have a PSP...

Dissidia/D2 and Crisis core are a must buy ;) 

20. Cracka J

News Credits:
    you know I actually forgot about that game. I remember DL'ing and playing a standalone hacked version of it for quite some time after the game was released...I think it was online vs too if I remember right.

how did I forget about that card game...that was the only other thing in 8 that passed the time for me :lol 

I still haven't played through IX. I have it on ps1 but I'd rather just dl a digital copy once vita gets ps1 compatibility. I remember playing a few hours of it and liking it a lot...but then I started dating my (now) wife :lol . I kinda put all gaming on halt for awhile when that happened :)