Final Fantasy VII Remake - Could it happen on the Wii?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Jul 31, 2008.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Ever since E3 2005 with that little 'tech demo for PS3', fans have been screaming at Square-Enix to give them what they want, a remake of the most popular title in the series, Final Fantasy VII. It was shortly announced after the tech demo that it was NOT a game in development. If they did remake FF7 on the PS3, it would take them 5 years to do, which would take away from other projects.

The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII has seen the prequel title, Crisis Core, the sequels Dirge of Cerberus and the movie Advent Children thus far in the States. There was another prequel title in Japan known as Before Crisis on Mobile. It has been stated that this Compilation, which expands the FF7 brand, will end on the original title's twenty year anniversary, in other words in 2017. Currently we are in 2008 with no new additions this year, the earliest would be next year 2009.

With the announcement at E3 2008 that Final Fantasy XIII will also be released on the XBOX 360 instead of a PS3 exclusive here in the States, new 'numbered' fantasies are no longer exclusive to Playstation consoles. In a recent press conference, Wada stated that Square-Enix is not exclusive to any console and will make the most profitable games for each console, thus why FF13 will also be on 360.

For a faithful PS3 remake of FF7 to happen it would take a good chunk of time to produce, thus taking away time and resources from other projects. If developed for the Wii, an easy piece of hardware to work with, the game would take considerably less time. Crisis Core on the PSP did a fine job graphical from which the Wii can easily surpass and pre-rendered Advent cutscenes are no problem. It won't look as good as the PS3 or XBOX 360, but it would look far better than the PSOne original.

That carnival-circus center in FF7 which served as a break of sorts to play mini-games. Well using the Wii with the Wii remote and Wii MotionPlus, it would be like Wii Sports contained within Final Fantasy VII, but instead of using Miis, you would use characters from your party like Cloud or Barrett. The motorcycle chase and other portions of the game like that would be done justice with the Wii. Motorcycle chase, think Mach Bike reborn on the Wii.

FF3 on DS, FF4 on DS, FF5 will be on DS, FF6 likely on DS, FF7 on Wii?

Finally, Square owes Nintendo. Back when before the launch of the Nintendo 64, Square produced a 3-D playable demo of Final Fantasy VI on the N64. Many thought, just as with the PS3 FF7 demo, that FF6 was going to be remade in 3-D on the N64. Well Square actually planned it, but those cartridges were a challenge to work with, so Square turned to the lesser console (technology wise), the PSOne and created FF7. After six great titles, only 3 in the U.S., Square seemingly left Nintendo behind and took Final Fantasy to Sony and the Playstation. The N64 saw no Final Fantasy title. The Gamecube saw one, FF Crystal Chronicles.

Its about time that Square (now Square-Enix) finally fulfilled their promise and bring the first 3-D Final Fantasy title to the Nintendo home console and bring FF7 to the Wii.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FF7: Crisis Core on PSP, I think Wii can do better. Top: In-game cutscene Bottom: Pre-rendered cutscene

[​IMG]
    The N64 Fantasy that never was.

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Final Fantasy will never be made for the Wii.

Graphically, Square-Enix wants to put out the most breath-taking game that they can, as it is expected of them to do as much. If they were to remake Final Fantasy VII, they would take it to a console that could give them the visual game that they want.

They will keep the kiddish, cutesy looking crap to the Wii.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Square doesn't owe Nintendo dick. Sorry.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Honestly, I never got all the hype on FF7.

There are plenty of better games out there, and there are better FF games as well. This one's actually near the bottom of my list.

But it is popular, so I hope for the folks that do want it, they do put out a remake.

5. girafeswordsman

girafeswordsman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It needs to happen, but will probably not happen.

6. Lasbrook

Lasbrook Well-Known Member

It's easy to understand when you realize this: Sephiroth=Starscream=Pyramid Head in that they all have legions of fanfic wielding female fans who must be appeased for that characters returned appearance as much as possible.

Other than that i guess it's the more industrial world with the shiny ceegee, cutscenes and the swearing. I don't get it either, i'll stick with 6.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been around since FF1 and I can definitely say that FF7 was an important game in the series. My favorites are still 6,9,4,7, and 12.

There might be better FFs but 7 was Square's vision of what they could do with more storage, and had a great cast of characters. Not only were they great characters (sans Yuffie) but they also went through changes that even the old FF characters didn't. There was also, for the time ,a great design, particularly in the contrast between the industrial world of Midgar and the cities and towns surrounding it, which resembled more of the older FF's "fantasy" style. That's not to say that 6's design was not stellar in their portayal of its world, it's just that they were no longer limited to tilable textures, and now they could design organic buildings with pipes sticking out, and electrical, broken neon lights, etc. etc.

The Death of Aeris was also one of the first console deaths of a main character, for many people (Though Nei came WAY before that). Basically, the game introduced RPGs to a lot of people and it was due to all of these elements put together. It didn't follow the typical cookie-cutter Fantasy themes. It mixed it all together, and it created a world that people love to revisit. Half the reason why I loved Crisis Core was for the chance to revisit the locals, almost as much as seeing old characters.

So, in some ways, I do agree with the attention 7 receives. While I would now rather see the further adventures of Vivi, Zidain, Steiner, and Dagger, I definitely am not complaining about a potential remake to 7.

8. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

If that's the case, why release anything, ever, for the PSP or DS?

Square wants to push the limits with the new, numbered installments (XIII, the eventual XIV), but the Wii could certainly offer a significant upgrade to the PS1 FF7. Hell, it could offer an upgrade to FF12.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because a game like that(considering the changes made to it in order to consider it a true upgrade) would definitely exceed the Wii's disc's limitation. Multi discs are definitely an option, but there is nothing on the wii that would provide a reason to port 7 over. Motion controls? I, for one, wouldn't be swayed by that. Life as a King definitely fits the demographic and styl of most Wii games. 7 would just seem out of place. But who knows. I would prefer it on 360 or PS3. Hell even PSP wouldn't be bad, after playing through Crisis Core.

You didn't pick the best images to illustrate that. Even the real-time shot looks pretty damn nice for a handheld. Especially considering that Wii's first FF outting doesn't look much better than said Handheld game.

[​IMG]

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I think there will be an FF7 remake/rerelease. But there's a twist.

I think it'll be on the DS.

Discuss.

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering how badass 4 turned out. I wouldn't mind.... except, that it wouldn't be as amazing as it could be. So it would be a mild port instead of a "I just shat in my pants port to PS3 or 360" or the , "I peed in my pants...not shat, but peed... that the PSP would be"

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would prefer this. I never played 7, so it would be welcome on the DS for me.

13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Final Fantasy V and VI will be done on the DS.

But FFVII is something that would have to go from old-gen to next-gen. They'd have to do it on the PS3 or the 360.

The Wii is still graphically less than both the PS3 and 360. If they're going to put the time and money in to remaking their most successful game of all time, they're going to do it on a system that will blow your fucking mind!

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This and that

15. MisterE

MisterE What?

If there is ever an FFVII remake, I can almost guarantee it'll be PS3-exclusive. I'd love a DS port, but I can't see it happening.

16. strscrm

SquareEnix has stated that they are not exclusive to anyone, although most of their exclusives have been going to the 360 and the DS ala Star Ocean 4 and Dragon Quest 9. Final Fantasy XIII used to be a PS3 exclusive, but now will also be on the Xbox 360 here in the States.

If they did a full-fledged RPG sequel to FFVII, thus FFVII-2 but named better, I believe that this sequel would be on the PS3 and 360, wrapping up the whole Genesis storyline. This could be the 'blow your f***ing mind' game that would be on par with FFXIII, thus running on the same engine. Instead of slow classic turn-based gameplay, which would be expected in a FF7 remake, the gameplay would be just like FF13 which was inspired by the combat found in the movie, Final Fantasy VII Advent Children.

17. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

This.

18. strscrm

[​IMG]

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I just hope whatever remake eventually comes fills in some of the content that was cut for time. I read somewhere that something was taken out of the later parts of the game, much like how Xenogears got rushed with loads missing from the last disk. I think there was meant to be something else in the end of FFVII as well. Not sure what, though. There's nothing as glaring as Xenogears' "Fei and Elly narrating what happened" scenes.

Heck, maybe it's all an overblown rumor like the whole "resurrect Aerith" thing.

And I would cry if any remake actually included that as an option.

20. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I think some content involve Vincent and Yuffie. IIRC they were not in the ending movie at all.