Final Fantasy VI Advance

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Anyone else pick it up today?

I'm about to have a long night getting back in to the old school, again. Because III and V weren't enough for me. It feels like they came out just last week ... and that would almost be correct.

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

store didnt stock any when i went in the morning...i'll check again tomorrow....i wont plan on playing it until i finish Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All (i'm on the last chapter)

let's see:
    I & II - never finished I and never started II. Think my brother has it
    III - never finished, might go back to finish it
    IV - never finished, my bro borrowed it and accidently erased my file, so i guess i dont plan on playing it over again.
    V - still need to buy
    VI - will buy and pass, this i guarantee.
    XII - played for 10 hours total and got sick of the (fighting) gameplay

3. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FF6 is my all time favorite game, I hope this version doesn't muck it up. I kinda wish the release of III had been a port rather than the whole updated thing, I guess I'm just a purist with this crap. I understand the updates make it more desirable to most people, so it's fine.

4. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I braved a blizzard to buy FFVI last night. Now I just need time to play it.

5. OmegaScourge

changes in FFVI:

via siliconera.com:
    - Doomgaze now named Deathgaze
    - Mind Candy (SNES) are now called Rock Wasp
    - Cyan’s sword technique, which was simply called SwdTech is now renamed as Bushido.
    - Addition of classes for the characters, which were previously removed in the SNES version.
    - No more Kupop or Kumog, now you have Moogret and Moggle in your party.
    -Terra is still Terra (and not Tina like in the Japanese release) and Sabin isn’t changed to Mash.

and other stuff from wikipedia:
    - Four new espers - Leviathan, Gilgamesh, Gigantuar (a giant Cactuar), and Final Fantasy VIII's Diablos
    - new dungeon called the Dragon's Den
    - Soul Shrine, a place where the player can fight monsters continuously.
    - Three new spells also appear: Flood, Valor, and Gravija.
    - bestiary and music player.

6. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Is the cheat still enabled where you could dupe items :D  i beat the game fair and square but that cheat was bad ass afterward lol.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    How can you say that? It's the same great game, but with extra things added and nothing taken away.

I mean, I played through the original five times, but I doubt I would get through a sixth without extras to keep me interested.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I need to buy this, I loved the game...back when it was called FF3 on the Super Nintendo.

9. honestgabe

honestgabe I

I heard they re did the music and that its real shitty. My buddy was going to buy it but then he remembered he had Final Fantasy Anthologies for the PS1 and never played it.

10. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    Redid how? The midi output on the gba is a little different, but they're the same tunes. Playing it right now.

11. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I played this all last night, maybe I can clarify.

The music isn't shitty, it's quite good. They didn't change it so much as adapt it to the technology of the GBA.

Like FF5 Advance, holding B will let you sprint. Wearing the Sprint Shoes relic in this game boosts you to 4x walking speed. You can also set your character to auto-run so holding B makes them walk instead.

It's not exactly true that nothing was removed from the game, the scene in the dungeon where Celes was chained to the wall and punched was altered so her hands were tied and she never got punched, this was done in the japanese version because of current concerns over kidnapping scenes in games.

A lot more is changed than what Omega Scourge listed. The translation is much more accurate to the original japanese version rather than being dumbed down for a younger audience like the SNES game was. This lets you see more details and subtleties in the storyline that you couldn't see on the SNES version. This also means your spells and attacks all have accurate translations of their original japanese names, for instance Sabin's Pummel technique is now Raging Fist, and Aurabolt is now Aura Cannon. This also means spells like Demi and Fire3 have regained their original names, Gravity and Firaga. This also means you have to get used to a lot of different monster names, like the before mentioned Doomgaze/Deathgaze. This is because a lot were dumbed down because they include words like death or because of the old letter limitation on the SNES cartridge and a shorter name needed to be added. That limitation being removed is also why spell and skill names have been restored.

All that being said... FF3 for the SNES was the game that made me a gamer in the first place and after suplexing the Doom Train like the good old days, I'm eager to hit the Veldt again. There's enough changed to make the game interesting again even if you have played it a dozen times over before.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh daaaamn...That just brought back memories.

I must go out and buy this game.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    That would be a blast to relive. But cool enough by itself to buy a GBA? And I have the SNES version already.

14. Ktulu

News Credits:
    As a game hardly anyone outside of Japan had played, I wish they'd left the recent FFIII release without the new graphics, or at least a possible either or option, original or updated. You played the original version of Final Fantasy III five times, or did you misunderstand me?

I'm saying I'm glad they didn't change FFVI as much (as in total overall of the graphics) as they did with that one.

15. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    You're right, I did misunderstand. I only played the NES final fantasy 3 twice.

My Final Fantasy III SNES cartridge is well broken-in, however.

16. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Oh hilarious Final Fantasy numberings, creating confusion even in 2007~~~

17. OmegaScourge

with the Deathgaze/Doomgaze name....i actually like the name Doomgaze better.

as for the word Death, it was actually because Nintendo was very strict on the language, trying to make it family friendly.

there's also the nudity that got covered and i figured it'll stay...if not, aint that a "M: rating (lol): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:FFVI_Siren_Uncensored.png

18. honestgabe

honestgabe I

*fapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfapfap*

19. Ktulu

News Credits:
    The original Japanese version also had some nude/topless dancers in one of the pubs/bars if I remember correctly, anyone know if that's in again?

Not that it matters at all, would just be interesting if that's back again. It's not as if the tiny 16 bit sprites were very detailed!

20. OmegaScourge

i doubt it...as parents and Jackoff Thompson will be making a big scene about it not being a rating higher or something, 16-bit or not.