Final Fantasy Play Arts-Help please

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by chaosbringer_00, Dec 8, 2008.

1. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I've been looking into getting a Play Arts figure. More specifically, Sora of Kingdom Hearts. As I understand it, the figures are advertised as being very articulated, and from what I can tell that appears to be true (though how any of the Sephiroth toys can move their legs underneath that trenchcoat is beyond me). Now, Sora has very baggy pants. Pants the reach past his knees. Pants that appear to be one solid piece. So my question is this: does Sora have any appreciable knee articulation? I'd love to get this toy...but not having knees would kill it for me.

Please help me out here. Thanks in advance for those that do.

2. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    his pants bend at the knees via a joint

3. chaosbringer_00

Ah, thank you very much. Now I know what I'm gonna spend my Christmas money on :D 

4. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Fantastic figures. I have every single figure from the KH lines, including Sora's drive forms. The only drawback I've found with the figures is that occasionally, such as with Wisdom Form Sora, his Keyblade is very hard to get into the hand peg, since the hilt is too thick to work into his hand. You can get it there, but it can be a luck-of-the-draw situation.

Also, on the topic, KH Play Arts figures are getting more attention, and Waves 2 and 3 are coming out semi-soon. January and March or May, can't recall.

Wave 2 includes KH1 versions of Sora, Riku, and King Mickey in his black robe.

Wave 3 includes Halloweentown Sora, Cloud Strife and Sephiroth (both using their Kingdom Hearts likenesses).

5. chaosbringer_00

Thanks very much for the advice. I feel much more confident trying to get this now that I've heard some positive feedback. I wish they weren't so expensive or else I'd be snapping them up like candies.

I saw wave 2 on Square Enix's online store, and I can't understand how mickey could have any posability whatsoever.

And while I'm at it, anyone know of a good place to buy from? The only reasonable place I've found is the aforementiond official site, and I still haven't checked what the shipping will be *gulp*.

One last question for anyone else who glances at this thread: How do some of the characters with cloaks (Sephiroth, Vincent, AC Cloud) pose? can the cloaks move at all? Or are they as restricting as they look?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I've just been hard-pressed to find any info on these things. Thanks again in advance.

6. NoenGaruth

NoenGaruth Not liking ze dizzy...

Ok, as someone who owns all 3, I can tell you that Sephiroth and Vincent's cloaks (and Also Aerith's dress) are soft vinyl and bend easily so you can move their legs, tho i might add that AC vincent's legs dont bend too good at the hip and his arm's are a little confined by the top cloak (If you want a good Vincent I suggest going with the FF7 PA Vol2. Figure) Now as for AC Cloud, his side cape is pretty rigid but not really a bother, and can still ride the bike ok.

7. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Let's see here...the shipping was alright I suppose. I bought the Final Fantasy Weapons set from there for $29.99 and the S&H came out to be $9.49 from there to Colorado.

All characters have the soft vinyl so it's easy to bend whatever needs to be bent. Plus AC Cloud can actually remove his side cloak since it has to be adjusted to ride Fenrir.

8. chaosbringer_00

Thanks guys. $10 shipping doesn't sound too bad. And it's good to hear that the cloaks and such are bendy. Now if only I could afford more than one...:redface2: 

9. Spartan Prime

Do you know if that vinyl the cloaks, etc. are made of is buy-able anywhere?
    I'm working on a custom and I've been looking to make the short skirt on Kairi's figure longer.

I also didn't think he could pull off being a badass in the videogames, but by jove, he did it. The toy, from what I've seen, is highly poseable. I'm getting it soon, since it comes out here in Japan before the states get their hands on it. If you want, I can put down a review here (if I find my camera).

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Here's my question....where the hell is the Game Version Cid, and Game version Barret?! I can't complete my Playarts game cast without it! Plus, I want the big stuffed animal for Cait Sith!

11. NoenGaruth

Not sure sorry, tho been wondering that myself since it would make an ideal cape for MP Starscream (not like that cheap fabric that comes with the corronation set >_< )

Yeah I'm waiting for those to come along too! Tho since they make the waves in sets of 3's I'm wondering who the 3rd figure would be... (Im hoping for an FF7 Rufus)

12. Spartan Prime

Amen. I'm hoping we'll get at least one of them.

There is lengths of vinyl you can be at craft stores. A buddy who is into model making told me this last night when i was asking around. You can cut it out to size/length, but it does take some fiddling to get it how you want it. So check your craft stores or ask the employees, they should be able to hook you up.

This. This this this, a hundred times, this. I would love to have a Rude to accompany my Reno, but I would oh so love a Rufus Shinra with Jenova's Head in a box accessory and that flip-side pistol he whips out on Kadaj in AC.

13. NoenGaruth

Interesting, there's another project to undertake in the future, cheers for the info!

Nah I'm wanting a Rufus figure like he was in the original game with the double barrel shotgun! (plus in VII he's so badass that he's a boss battle whereas in AC he's injured and can barely stand up) Rude would also be a welcome addition but he'd need to be part of another Advent Children wave to match Reno.

14. Spartan Prime

True, no matter which Rufus we get, it's guaranteed awesome in a box. But he wasn't as sick as he made himself out to be. He only acted that way because he wanted to get away with having Jenova's Head on his person the whole time, which is why he kept himself covered with that cloth.

But him standing up, pulling out the box, and telling Kadaj "A good son would have known" in that smug-ass voice of his was one of his greatest moments.

Second, maybe, only to his escaping in the video game by grabbing onto the leg of a helicopter and making his escape, shotgun in hand.

15. chaosbringer_00

Wow, I didn't even realize that this thread was still going. Usually my threads only get a couple replies :redface2: 

Spartan Prime, it'd be awesome if you could do a review. Do you think you could do one of one or more Sora's? That'd be awesome.

So, does anyone know a good place to get the weapon upgrade kits? Or just the line in general? I'd LOVE to get some extra keyblades for Sora, but the price at Square-Enix's store is ridiculous-35 bucks! That's more than the figure itself, which has to have at least 3 times the weapons' mass! They already overcharge on the figures...

Also, has anyone else had trouble finding info/pics of this line on the web? I've done a bazillon searchs, but I've found about 2 reviews of some of them and only stock photos. It's driving me nuts.

16. Spartan Prime

I found my weapon packs on Square Enix's US website. And the price would have bothered me, but I just got paid and was aching for some new keyblades. I love those things. The only reason I got all of the Drive Form Sora's was to get all the Keyblades (the completist side of me knows no bounds). I think the pack is completely worth it, despite the fact that I have no love for the Three Wishes keyblade. I wish they would have thrown in the Bond of Flame, or better yet, the Two Aross. But having my Roxas figure posed up with the Oathkeeper and Oblivion Keyblades made up for it.

And yeah, I've never done reviews on a figure before, but I'd love to take a crack at it. As soon as I find the software for my digital camera and hook it up to my computer here, I'll get to work.

17. chaosbringer_00

...hello?

EDIT:

Bad timing...

18. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Only weapon sets I'm willing to get are the Final Fantasy ones. I don't care much for the Kingdom Hearts ones considering I only bought 2 figures from the KH series. I just got KH II Sora & Kairi. Otherwise I'm pretty much done with KH.

19. chaosbringer_00

Excellent, I can't wait. Do you think you could tide me over with a pic or two of Sora?

As for the Keyblades, I reeeeeaaaally want the KHII Ultima Blade, along with Oblivion and Oathkeeper. I'd pay the price two, except I'm a teenager with no income and I don't want to waste Christmas money or the little I've got in the bank. Ah well.

Incidentally, can the normal Sora dual-wield? If I ever got more keyblades, that would be rather important.

20. Spartan Prime

Unless you want stock photos from the web, i gotta find my camera stuff first. I just moved to Japan from Ohio and everything is still in boxes.

All of the Sora's can dual-wield. The Keyblades have small holes in the handles, and each Sora has a peg for them on each hand. I picked up Roxas and a second Roxas which I customed into an original figure from an RPG site I belong to, so I had 3 Kindgom Keys for a while. Sora dual-wielded them for a while, and the third, I repainted into King Mickey's Dark Kingdom Key (it's paint apps looked better than the originals I had, in my opinion. Everyone I showed it to thought my repaint was a genuine article).

I'll go dig through some boxes and try and scrounge up the camera software now, but I do have dinner plans tonight, so I might not get anything up for a few hours at the earliest.