Final Fantasy movie (2001)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ace Convoy, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just finished watching and.....um great visuals but what relation was it supposed to have with the games?

2. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

Absolutely none.

3. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Let's see...they were probably doing what every other Final Fantasy did, made their own story that didn't have any bearing on any game. It did have a Sid/Cid character though.

Again, another movie that people hate, but I like.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Um, no relation to the game.

It's just like the Avatar movie not having any ties to the Avatar: The Last Airbender series, hence why the latter's live-action movie is simply called The Last Airbender. >.<

5. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Or like ROTF not having.... LOL nope, Not gonna do that.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within would have done a lot better if it was just called "The Spirits Within". Attaching Final Fantasy to the title and the last games (FF7/8/9) being so big, forced the expectation of Chocobos and big haired emo warriors duking it out with massive swords. What they got is a greif ridden director creating a movie about coming to terms with death and his idea of what lays in the after life.

not exactly: Dun dun dun duuun dun dun dunt dee daa!

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Not really. Spirits Within was directed and written by FF's creator and made by the film division of Square. It may not have ties to the games, but it is a Final Fantasy movie of sorts.

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^so, the Star Wars movies are all American Graffiti or THX 1138 films based on your logic?

just because the creator of FF wrote that, don't "sorta" make it a FF film.

Spirits Within has as much to do with the FF universe as Ryan Seacrest with manly men.

in the end, FF:SW was a showpiece of CGI magic; as for creative input, it was a bomb that turned into a dud.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Each Final Fantasy game is its own universe, so why can't a Final Fantasy movie? :shrug

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    There is no "FF Universe".

If the people who make Final Fantasy games make a movie and call it a Final Fantasy movie, that means it's a Final Fantasy movie.

10. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There you go. I'm not going to walk up to Hironobu Sakaguchi and say "this isn't a Final Fantasy movie."

Not to mention that it was about one planets life stream destroying that of Earth's life stream. They may not have called it "Lifestream", but it was the same thing FF7 featured. It had some great scenes, but lemme tell ya, talk to any animation/art snob and they will always scoff at it because of the stiff characters, not giving the story much of a chance.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    My point exactly.

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    That's my ringtone :D 

Ontopic: I liked the movie.

13. Keroshino

Keroshino Beasties: Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    liked it...it just should not have been called Final Fantasy imo

14. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

This was a pretty neat scifi movie but it was by no means a Final Fantasy movie.

The CGI was pretty impressive though.

15. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    It was neat, but I think it would have worked better as an actual game. The basic plot was interesting, but it felt like there were things missing. This is going from memory though; haven't seen the movie in ages.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Actually the Avatar movie is a direct retelling of the animated series, so it's undeniably linked to the point where you can tell scene for scene where things are taken from the show. Only reason why it's not called Avatar is because of licensing issues caused by Cameron's Avatar movie, effectively preventing the Last Air Bender from being able to use it's full name.

And there is no singular FF Universe so the movie has just as much to do with FF as anything else they use the FF label on. As far as FF movies go, it was certainly better then AC imo, but not as fun as Legend of the Crystals (which still doesn't even have a DVD release, that's a shame). Because there were no big swords or cast of quirky/cliched characters wielding odd weaponry around though most people didn't see it as an FF movie, and I can understand why.

SE took a big risk with making that movie, however it didn't really pay off in the box office. Though it may have possibly paid off in the long run as they were pioneers of the photorealistic CG tech which they put into good effect for some of their later games.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, I like it too.

Final Fantasy 1 has NOTHING to do with Final Fantasy 7, and especially now, Final Fantasy 13 has nothing to do with Final Fantasy 9. This is a science fiction Final Fantasy with the resounding themes of Friendship, love, and some kind of epic planetary crisis. Which, while could be applied to almost any movie, this one has the Japanese take on Gaia.

If I were the creator of this movie, I wouldn't have strayed too far from what people "Expect" from final fantasy, but never has anyone stated that there is a physical representation of Final Fantasy, but you can certainly point out thematic similarities in everything called Final Fantasy.

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I'm not going to presume that Square shouldn't call it a Final Fantasy movie or anything like that, but I can't say I disagree with this statement either. I think that if the movie had sort of come out of nowhere and just been called "The Spirits Within" it might have ended up being more well regarded.

But, with all of the hype, the Maxim spreads, and the name 'Final Fantasy', people expected something different.
    Gamers expected something closer to Final Fantasy core items -there are points to argue, but has any Final Fantasy ever taken place on Earth?
    The main movie viewing expected 'another video game movie'; which is not a good thing and not at all what it was.

I remember someone telling people directly not to see it because if you didn't play any of the games you wouldn't have any idea what was going on.
    At the time I thought he was a moron, but now I realize he had been in some kind of time warp and was actually talking about Advent Children.

Personally, I like The Spirits Within, but I'm more inclined to watch Advent Children.

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Especially the new version that makes a lot more sense and has some awesome new scenes.

20. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Visually it was awesome, but had no charisma whatsoever