Final Fantasy IV DS

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Picked up this little beauty yesterday. Haven't had a long time to play it, but there's some awesome new features in the game that weren't in it before.

For starters, the graphics are a notch up from the Final Fantasy III remake on the DS. I honestly feel like I'm playing a handheld version of Final Fantasy VII, but with Final Fantasy IV characters/story/music. As for the music, I can't decide if it feels like it's more MIDI sounding than before, or if this is actually how they intended to make it sound. Either way, I'm digging it.

The voice-acting is ... well, let's just say it's obvious they didn't put their budget in to the voice-acting. Kain's voice is pretty cool though, and that's all that matters. Kain is Final Fantasy IV, why do you think he's on the cover for crying out loud? :p 

The battles are much different. Where before you'd get hit and take, oh, 9 damage, or maybe 15 damage ... no, this time, for example, the Myst Dragon hits you for 55 to 65 damage. Random encounters (Goblins, Rats, etc.) in the beginning area will hit you for anywhere from 15 to 24 damage. And when they all target the same person at once (say it's a 4 monster party) and you got "Surprised!" to start the battle, that's close to 100hp of your starting 200hp gone. So they upped up the difficulty, but I leveled Cecil and Kain twice in 10 minutes. So I'm not sure if they possibly changed the level grind in the beginning or overall.

They have a new feature called "Augments" ... basically, as you progress through the game, you can receive various character augmentations. This gives your characters more special abilities.

EXAMPLE.

Palom and Porom do "Twincast" ... where they cast a spell together. Takes twice as long to cast, but it's usually a powerful spell that does serious damage. Well, if you meet certain requirements (I believe you have to give them each two augments to receive it), you will receive their Twincast augment. You can then give it to Cecil and Rosa, and together, they cast Ultima, which we know is the most powerful spell in Final Fantasy (and has never been in Final Fantasy IV) before. Or give it to Cecil and Kain to get "Boost", which boots everyone's hit points up to start the fight. Or give it to Rydia and Rosa to have them boost up everyone's magic points.

The character "Namingway" has a significant role in this game. Sadly, you can no longer change your characters' names in the game, but it ties in to a Namingway story that lasts the entire game.

Rydia has a little summoning thing called "Whyt" ... and it's an interesting thing to say the least. But she starts with it.

They've also added "Onion Armor", which you get from even MORE rare rat-tails (because the pink tail was never a pain in the ass to begin with). All those stats are based on your level. And when you beat the game THE FIRST TIME (you can beat it up to three times), you not only get a New Game+ feature (you get to keep your previous augments), but you also get the "Limit Break" augment, so you can do more than just 9999 damage.

Overall, it looks like an amazing remake to a classic game. If you love Final Fantasy, or have an affection for these oldschool games, or you loved Final Fantasy VII and would like to see what a classic 16bit Final Fantasy looks like remade in the eyes of Final Fantasy VII ... then pick this bad boy up.

kthxbye

2. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have it, but haven't started yet because I want a decent chunk of time to invest in it. This is probably my fourth favorite of the series, and over one of my favorite games. Really looking forward to it- but I must admit I am a little curiou as to your music comment. I'd expect it to have been redone with remixes and better instrument samples, but it doesn't seem that way.

3. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I need to pick it up. I also want to be amused by the voice acting.

4. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Sounds good. I'm seriously considering picking this one up. I came quite late to the FF universe playing my first FF in 2005. Since then I've played (in this order) 10, 12, and 6 (on the GBA). 4 certainly sounds like a good place to go next.

5. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

Awwww crap! I have money for a videogame this week and now i gotta choose....

Diablo 2 battlechest or FF4 DS....

Maybe i can eat hotdogs at work for 2 weeks.... again.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm probably picking this up tonight.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I've got way too many RPGs to play already so adding one more to the queue is not going to hurt!
    I'm glad that there are some new additions and not just a graphical facelift, it makes it a more distinct game. I like!

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Scratch that. Picked it up. Thanks for the review. It was the final push I needed to get it.

9. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

picking this up tomorrow for sure. i've been waiting for this for a while. ff4 was always one of my favorites. they better have left the spoony bard line in. that's the one thing i want left in every version of this game, and square hasn't disappointed me yet.

10. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Just a little side note. If you have a Wii and like Rougelike games *mystery dungeon, Azure Dreams, Shiren the Wanderer etc...etc.* Pick up Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon!

11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

went to Circuit City to see if they had it (cause the ad shows you get a free $10 gift card) but sadly they didn't have any.

i might try the other CC on Sat...if they dont have it, i'll just pick it up somewhere else.

12. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Picking it up Friday. I just wish you could name your characters still, cause I always used the same names (which I made up) in the NES/SNES FF games. Now I can't do that anymore. :( 

13. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

I really want this but $40 for a DS game is a tiny bit steep to me. Hopefully it'll take a dive pretty soon. I thought $35 was steep for a DS game but Zelda has taught me otherwise.

Anyone have an opinion on it for some one who doesn't usually play JRPGs? I've played some of them through the years but generally can't stand the gameplay. I really want to play all of the FF games.

On a side yet somewhat related note, I can't wait till Crono Trigger comes out on DS. I've skipped playing that game on several occasions.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Saw G4's review of it on X-Play last night(4 out of 5 stars). Looked pretty good. FFIV is my all time favorite FF. Guess I finally have a reason to get a DS now, unless...

Have they come up with a way to play DS games on your TV yet? A la the Gameboy Player for the Cube or something?

15. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

No, and I don't think it's likely either considering the touchpad aspect of the lower screen. I could see them trying to do something with the wii maybe, but I don't think it would work well.

This is my favorite FF game and I'd much rather see a PS3 remake of this than of FF7 (though I'd take that too). I'll be getting it soon.

16. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    For those curious about the stylus and the touch screen...

You don't have to use it. I don't use the touch screen or stylus for anything as it's too much of a pain. But in dungeons it displays a map, and you get items (like 5 potions) everytime you "clear" a map by exploring every part of it. When you're in a castle or a town, it shows you where you are and where you're walking to. It'll even show treasure chests for you.

Only part I have difficulties with is if I set myself to auto-run, I have to go back to "walking" in order to flip switches on walls or find items hidden in pots, bushes, etc.

If you have older strategy guides for the other FFIV games ... DO NOT USE THEM! Everything is changed in this game. Boss strategies have changed. Boss weaknesses, etc., have also changed. Kainazzo, as he was originally called (the Water fiend) will DEVASTATE YOU if you're not ready to heal because he counters EVERYTHING (magic gets magic counter, physical gets physical counter). And his tsunami will rape your childhood worse than Michael Bay.

If you loved FFIV and just wished it was harder ... congratulations, you got your wish.

17. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Story any different? They were talking about how, when they made the original, only 25% of the story got into the final product.

18. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    More backstory.

Example, in the very beginning of the game after Kain tries to bail Cecil out of having to go to Mist Village, if you go out and talk to Kain after he tells you to get some rest, you'll go in to a flashback scene and watch Cecil and Kain training with each other.

The entire thing in Mist Village changed a bit too.

Where in the original and the first couple of remakes the story made no sense (Kain suddenly says "We must save Rosa!" and you're like WTF?) they've changed it to make more sense. Just bad translation. Something like this now...

Cecil: The ring ... we were brought here to destroy the village!
    Kain: His Majesty wanted this village burned and its people murdered.
    *girl crying*
    Girl (Rydia): sob sob sob mommy sob sob sob
    *Cecil and Kain walk up*
    Rydia: My mom's dragon died ... so my mom did too ...
    Kain: His Majesty wants all of the Summoners killed ... Cecil, we must kill the girl.
    Cecil: Kain, no! She's just a child!
    Kain: You would dare disobey your King?
    Cecil: Anyone who would condone what has happened here is NO King of mine!
    Kain: I will not let the blood of these villagers stain the good name of the Dragoons.
    Cecil: Kain...
    Kain: Baron has a strong army, the most powerful in the world. We will need help, we must speak to other countries to seek aid. And ... we need Rosa.
    Cecil: Yes, of course.
    Cecil: Kain ... why are you helping me?
    Kain: I'm not doing it for you.

etc. etc. etc.

So you see, they've gone in and actually made the story flow. The little flashbacks and cut scenes you don't usually get are nice too. Cecil's voice is going to kill me though.

19. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

Dunno. I like Cecil's voice better then Kains. Kain just screams, "Evil Betrayer." to me.

20. Kickback

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    :lol 

Wait ... you were being sarcastic, right? :)