final fantasy iv ds trailer

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by toma, Dec 7, 2007.

1. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Looks pretty cool

3. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh my- that makes me very happy.

4. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

Hopefully the frame rate won't be as pathetic as it was in FFIII.

5. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

looks good, but I aint digging the big heads, that crap went out with NBA jam!
    That and the swoony japanese singer in the background may be making it seem a bit more epic than it actually is, but as it seems it will be version 4 for me also.

6. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I will say that the big heads kinda bothered me to. They bothered me every since 9, although 9 did it slightly different. Anyways.. here's a quick rant...

Back on the NES and SNES, they made the characters up of several different sprites so they could animate them, and they made their heads larger so they could put enough pixels into it to make them distinct while maintaining a diminutive size and animating. Now, the enemys you fought generally did not animate and were larger, so they were still images, and as such, were detailed with correct proportions (based on the original Amano drawings of said enemy). So, to summerize, the playable characters had large heads to get around techinical limitations. They weren't "meant" to have large heads to be styled- because if that were the case, the enemies would be unproportional as well.

Anyways, fast forward to FF9, and they threw away the more realistic proportions of 7 and 8 to be more "traditional" and have large heads. So, it seems they missed the point about why the heads were big. In my eyes, 9 was less traditional for having cartoonier characters. Either way, they ran with it, and now we have these remakes with large heads again. This time, it could be for technical limitations in 3D, but I am pretty sure they could pull it off otherwise.

Thanks for reading my rant... if you did.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't think the large heads are a deal breaker by any means, I would just prefer them otherwise.

7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Thats the Chibi/Super Deformed style of drawing. Some people like them, others dont.

8. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I do know that, and that's what I meant when FF9 did it a little differently- I just feel it wasn't more "traditional" to have it that way. The Chibi/SD style is ok, but FF4 is a pretty dramatic game, so I really feel they would fit standard proportions a bit more, similar to the cinematics we see in the trailer.

9. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, I have played FF IV many times, but after seeing that, I want to play that version of it. It looks really really good.

10. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i actually like the big heads. i liked the art style of ff9 and crystal chronicles too. the pseudo-realistic girly-man style of ff games from 8, 10 and up always turned me off

11. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I can't place where the scene with the realistic cutscene takes place with Golbez and the four fiends. Anyone who's played the game more recently care to enlighten me?

12. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

they're adding new scenes into the new version. i have a feeling all of the "realistic" scenes are just parts of the opening/ending fmvs anyway, like in ff3. i did notice one scene that i think was cecil/kain/rosa as children though, looks like cecil and kain are fighting and rosa breaks it up around 2:56. that part looked kind of neat. it also looks like the "you spoony bard!" could be voice acted. they've kept that line in every version so far, if i get to hear that line yelled out of my ds speakers in a grouchy old man's voice i'll be pretty darn happy

13. Bumblebee78

Bumblebee78 Well-Known Member

I have not bought the game for the SNES when it came out. I bought it for the GBA and it was neat. I am now very tempted to buy it for the DS. The remake of FFIII for the DS was very well done, I have great expectations for that one.

14. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Wow, impressive for the DS. Seems like the games are getting better and better...

15. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I like it. I missed out on the previous versions, except the one that came with my PS copy of Chrono Trigger, so I'll definitely pick this up.

16. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Looks great! I hope they end up giving FF6 the same treatment.

17. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

Holy shit! I've been thinking about getting a DS for a while now, It's definatley on my to do list now.

18. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I believe it was announced at some point of 5 and 6 will get this treatment as well.

19. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

I'm really looking forward to this. I've never palyed any version of FFIV before so everything here will be all new to me. :D  :rock