Final Fantasy 7 kind of sucked

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gryph, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
  2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I have to disagree.

For the amount of people that love Final Fantasy VII because of the over-hype, there's a large group of people that dislike it for the exact same reason.

The graphics, for it's time, were great! The game was not just a gateway for new RPG fans, but a gateway for *ALL* RPG's by setting a new standard in how a game has to play and look.

Did it age well? No. But if it was a horrible game none of us would have beaten it, or spent 100+ hours unlocking everything. It's unfair to go back 10+ years and be like "in retrospect, after playing 5 sequels to the game, it wasn't that good". That's like me going back and saying how shitty PONG was.

3. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    You ACTUALLY listen to Adam Sessler? *Facepalms* IMO, G4TV is about as biased as a standardized test you take in school. In other words, I disagree. Granted, the game hasn't had much success standing up to the tests of time. The primitive polygonal graphics and FMV cutscenes are solid evidence, yes, but it's still a great RPG to play.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I didn't like it at the time. I still don't.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's kind of the thing, though. I'm not looking back 10 years. I disliked it not long after beating it. The only real reason I even beat it, is because I hate leaving an RPG half played. I played a bunch of PS1 rpgs, and I enjoyed most of them far more than FF7. FF7 just looked really nice. I mean, come on, Emerald Weapon was a joke. Nigh impossible to beat with any real tactics, yet is a cakewalk with the Knights of the Round trick. That just pissed me off. Not to mention bore me to death. When 8 came out, I hated 7 even more. It was just such an all around massive improvement.

6. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Pong was a shitty game even for it's time :D 

I dont like FF7 either, but I don't think it was a sucky game at all. I might be a wee bit ignorant for saying this one but it that game felt like it set the standard for JRPGs. It did really well for itself and "the people" love it.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It was a good game. For the time. It's aged badly is all. There's nothing really wrong with it other than the fans.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to agree with some of the posts and just say it didn't age well. It came out around the time everything was 3D to be 3D, and those early games look atrocious by today or yesterdays standards. FF8 and 9 suffer in a simliar fashion but not quite as much. In addtion, "JRPG"s are almost a punchline now, but not so when FF7 came out. I think FF7's biggest problem actually was the music, which somehow hit a decline when it hit a CD format and just wasn't as good as FF6. One of the main reasons I think FF8 is better then 7 is simply the music quality got back up there.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hated it from the start. the plot and characters were empty, soulless, and badly written. and my opinion of it's graphics at the time? terrible. because the basic polygons showed far less detail than the sprites of previous FF games. battle system? sucked. the materia system removed any individuality the characters had outside of limit breaks. everyone could be used for anything. there was no longer any strategy in building a party, you just threw whoever you liked in a party and their materia made it work.

FF7's emo clone drama pretty much killed JRPGs, too. now they ALL have to be like that. uuuuuggghhh.

10. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Ditto. I played through it because it was a Final Fantasy. Since then 9 is the only one I still play willingly.

11. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Final Fantasy 8 was even worse, 9 is where it's at.

12. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    FF7 may have been flawed but I enjoyed it at the time. I'd play it again actually if I had the time (But not likely).

13. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I agree, listening to Sessler about game advice is the most rediculous thing anyone could do. To say the music was bad was the stupidest thing he could have said about it, seeing as how it's also one of the most popular game soundtracks of all time. His entire spew is based more on personal opinion than actual reality. I treat this whole thing like I would treat anyone who says something I like sucks (the same way we do with trolls who show up here and flame Bayformers): Congrats Sess'. You formed an opinion, now instead of seeking attention through it, go find likeminded people and have a conversation amongst yourselves with it.

I loved, and still love 7. At the time it was a brilliant piece of work, character-wise, musically, the story was so deep that it had numerous layers beyond just what you were told or shown through gameplay. A decade later, I have favorites over it, but it's still amazing IMO. 8 and 9 were possibly the worst in the series; 8 felt like a god damned soap opera arc that didn't know hot to end, and 9 was so boring I got on Disc 3 of the 4 and still had no idea what in the fuck I was trying to accomplish storyline wise, I ccouldn't give two shits about a single character in my party, had no clue who the enemy was or why (and even when you find out, there's still randomly some higher enemy you have to fight that you never even hear of during the course of the game). By the time I got onto Disc 4 I was so bored I put the game away and never touched it again.

14. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Only RPG I ever took seriously was Pokemon. I just don't like having to level up to kick ass. Sure in some FPSes like Bioshock and the latest CoDs there's perks and upgrades and stuff, but in most FPSes you can still ruin somebody else with just plain old skill.

15. Synical

Synical Well-Known Member

The answer to wether or not I was an RPG fan was decided at that point in time. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night came out at the same time. My brother bought both. I played FF7 for one day, and then played Castlevania every chance I got for a week. Then replayed it more thoroughly the next week.

So, no, I am not an RPG fan.

16. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

*checks title of thread; re-reads post above* Grats?

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was a valid argument until I read this.... nah, I'm kidding, there wasn't. It's currently "cool" to bash FF7, but it marked a very awesome moment in RPG history (and that's because I was into it back in the Master System days), and I will always hold it in high regards.

18. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

::looks at name:: in case you haden't noticed i love FF VII. granted most die-hard fans have really taken it too far. yes i teared up when Aeris died. but it was also my first "REAL" final fantasy game. up to that point the only ff game i played was "Mystic Quest" if you can even consider that an FF. i had played many other RPG's at the time i just never played FF. FF7 was the deepest plot i had ever seen in ANY video game before. the characters were great and for the time graphics were good too(granted i played the PC version so the graphics were "slightly" better).

agreed, FF 8 got old quick to me, the relationship between Squall and Rinoa seemed a bit forced. it also seemed they tried to make it more like the deep plot of 7 and failed misserebly. and as for Final Fantasy 9............well........i barely got to disk 4 and by that time, i was so bored with it i never even finished it.

19. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

Also agreed. I will always hold it in high regards along with many of the other FF games that get bashed. It's no surprise though- if it was left well enough alone, people would still admire it, but since SquareEnix is using it as their money teet and there's a crazed amount of Sephiroth cos-players, people who never really payed it any mind decide that they have to try to knock down the fans a couple pegs.

20. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

I'm still pissed off that Aeris died. I also don't like my main character to actually go insane.