Final Fantast XI

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Star Sabre James, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I was thinking about getting it for my PC. I was wondering if there is anyone here who plays it. Could I start it at this late date. Would I probably enjoy it. Thanks!

2. Darkfall

Darkfall Savior of Shadows

Well you're likely to get some strong reactions in both directions on this one. I, and I know a few others around here, have played FFXI. That I can tell, not many besides myself still play. Many left for World of Warcraft, or Guild Wars. I'm sure FF and WoW will both see a drop again when RF comes out. Its the nature of MMO's I'm afraid.

As to your other question. The good thing about these games is that there are always people starting, or existing players leveling new jobs or characters, so there really isn't a problems starting any of them late.

EQ 1, 2, WoW, Guild Wars, and FFXI are all seeing expansions this year. Ranging from next week with EQ, to some time in October for WoW. So there should be some nice extra stuff in all of them. As to if you'll enjoy FF, it depends on what you like in a game, and what server you end up in. Most MMO's are "decent" unless you know other people who are playing (don't have to know them when you start, just meet some when you get there) and when you have a group of people, they're much better games.

To help decide if FF specifically is the right one for you, take this into consideration.

Final Fantasy XI: More "realistic" graphics (Note: I'm talking about the style of the characters and color schemes of the game here, not graphic quality.) More in-depth storyline. Much higher dependancy on grouping for advancement. Little to no PVP system at this time.

World of Warcraft: More vibrant colorful graphics, fairly heavily stylized. Easier solo play early on, but endgame still requires a fair amount of grouping. A fairly effective PVP, which can be good or bad depending on your wants.

Guild Wars: No Monthly fee, fairly good graphics, but a bit glitchy still. This is not a Bad game, but if you're not looking for heavy PVP I don't recommend it.

3. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I am a fan of the FF series. This is the only one I have not played yet (besides the Game Cube one). Since I am not replacing my broken PS2 till the PS3 is out for a while, I have lots of video game time to kill so I think I will get XI.

4. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

FFXI was ok. I burned out on it personally but then again I just didn't have the time or drive to get anywhere in the game.

5. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Sure it's easy to get started in FF11. Go to ebay or IGE, buy some in-game money, and you're set ! The economy in FF11 is destroyed (at least since when I played), so you pretty much have to buy your items with real money now.

But that's it. Easy as pie.

And uh, WoW PvP isn't good. It's a game of paper scissors rocks. And the expansion is coming out next year, or possible the year after. Blizzard works too slow.

If it's PvP you be seeking, play a FPS, seriously. MMORPG are horrible because someone is always going to complain that another class is "stronger" and "better", and they'll want other players to be nerfed down to their skill level.

6. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

I myself didn't like FFXI's battle system and just found it rather boring form what I remember. I also think there monthly fee system sucks. I liek to have more than 1 Character type, and I don't think I should have to pay more per month to have a extra 1 or 2 characters to have fun with.

If this is your first time in a MMORPG though, I tell people to give Guild Wars a try as there is 0 Monthly fee, so you can't feel to bad if you just stop, or take a a week or more off at a time.

I myself cant wait for PSU, and am looking into finally gettitng WoW and maybe RF Online.

7. SpazmasterX

SpazmasterX My turn to protect you.

Don't listen to him. The economy is mildly inflated with the exception of 3 or 4 "popular" servers. (Popular meaning the ones with cool names i.e. Ragnarok, Odin, Bahamut, and I think Fenrir)

All the others are fine and there are plenty of ways to make money in the later levels. Early ones (<50) have to do boring things like craft, farm, or hunt. And don't consider the ones that drop really high priced items are botted/over-camped by gilsellers. Gilsellers being those fantastic people that the quoted person buys from and REALLY ruin the economy. A couple weeks ago several hundred gilsellers were banned and approx. 300 billion gil across all servers has been removed from game. So expect a slow increase in the economy.

If you want I can hook you up with a worldpass to Carbuncle (currently has one of the better economies in the game) and a few thousand gil to get you started.

EDIT: Also, Treasures of Art Urghan comes out in a couple months so there will be a slew of new stuff to do.