Final Battle Discussion: Optimus vs. Sentinel

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Willocrew, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Willocrew

Willocrew Well-Known Member

It's been a few months now, but the final ending still really bugs me quite a bit.

I didn't like how the final fight scene played out at all. It just felt so opportunistic.

Basically, Optimus (who up until that point was looking like a major badd@$$ throughout the movie) makes a fatal mistake, allowing Sentinel to disarm him and was just about to get killed when suddenly Megatron pops out of nowhere, sneaks up on Sentinel and unleashes a flurry of suprise attacks and takes sentinel prime down.

Optimus Prime sees an opportunity to strike back and catches Megatron by suprise and kills him. And proceeds to finish Sentinel Prime off after that.

Man! This is such an unsatisfying Final Battle Royale!!! Realistic? Maybe. But, dang, I didn't sit through 2+ hours just to see such an unsatisfying ending!

Did you guys feel that way?

2. LacksAFace

LacksAFace Devastator's Balls

I thought it was fine.

Would've preferred it if Megatron and Optimus had a 2v1 against Sentinel.
    Or even an Optimus vs Megatron vs Sentinel fight.
    Or even better, an Optimus vs Shockwave vs Megatron vs Sentinel fight. That would be fun to watch.

But I like how it played out in the movie.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    My version would have involved Megatron and Optimus working together to kill Sentinel. They succeed, but during the course of the fight, Megatron is mortally wounded. As Optimus rushes to Megatron's side, the Decepticon leader states with his last breath that all he ever wanted was to restore Cybertron and ensure the survival of the Cybertronian race, and hopes against hope that Optimus and the Autobots might someday forgive him. Optimus, full of emotion, is on the verge of saying something in response, but we never know what: Megatron expires before he can do so.

4. Willocrew

Willocrew Well-Known Member

That brought a tear to my eye.

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I think Bay ended up thinking that the movie was getting too long. That ending was rushed. We still needed Optimus to face Megatron. I think we all thought that it would be Optimus and Megatron vs Sentinel. If that was embraced more then Optimus beheading Megatron could have been seen as an extention of that battle rather than an anti-climax.

6. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The ending was very rushed, maybe if bay didn't spend ten minutes plus on the ridiculous and uneeded wing men we could've got a longer ending.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    That's actually pretty good.

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think Natch's ending is pretty nice, but some parts would need to be cut [Megatron asking for forgiveness would be an example, it would be pretty tough to swallow the psychopath warmonger asking for forgiveness, specially since he looks the freaking bibilical Devil son with Freddy Kruguer], I think something more sublte would be better.

Regardless, cool idea.

On the thread itself...

Optimus actually never did any mistake, and he is still badass, Sentinel is just too damn good to outwit.

On Megatron being killed, I don't know, it's confusing to me:

- In one hand, it was anticlimatic to see Megatrong going out so easily.
    - On the other hand, the scene had a badass score, good camera angles and some golden dialogues ["Where would you be without me Prime?" *score stops briefly* "Time to find out." *mouthplate closes, score kicks in and awesomeness ensues*].

9. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I don't think the ending was rushed at all, plus if you really think about it, the final fight between Optimus and Sentinel lasted for quite some time. It didn't all take place on the bridge.

10. DeXaPiTaToR

DeXaPiTaToR Well-Known Member

Shockwave and megatron and driller vs optimus vs sentinel would be epic

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I loved the battle between Optimus and Sentinel.

I loved Megatron coming in at the last moment and ruining Sentinel.

I loved the epic final exchange between Optimus and Meagtron.

I didn't love how it wasn't a fight so much as "We've got five minutes left, stand still, Megatron."

Tad weepy considering Megatron has been nothing but a titanic asshole who kills and tortures for giggles. It'd seem really fucking random, TBH. It's like "Oh, Megatron's a good guy now? Huh?"

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    The only thing that bugged me was how brief it was; but it had to be do oh well.

I definitely would have preferred Optimus + Megatron vs. Sentinel though.

13. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I think what we saw was Megatron seeing an oppurtunity to take advantage of Optimus, while eliminating Sentinel at the same time. I believe that megatron fully underestimated the resolve of Optimus to end the war once and for all.

In Optimus' futher defense, I suggest that he, like all of the Autobots, was extremely tired of the war, and realized that Megatron would never give up his destructive ways, would never relent, and thus decided to act to prevent futher bloodshed.

Just my take on things as I percieved them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  14. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

I would have loved the ending if only megs had died fighting, and optimus had killed Sentinel in the heat of battle with the rust gun. Moral issues aside, the dual-execution was antli-climactic

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Nachtsider should honestly write the Transformers Fiction. Who here's with me on this?

16. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    This.:) 

17. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

I would have loved to see the novel ending because I don't want to see Optimus beating everything. Even if there was a better fight between OP and Meg, it would still be SP was about to kill OP and Meg ruined it. Only Megatron surviving would have been acceptable to me.
    I am. It's better than what happened in the film.

18. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I...I actually like that.

It would be kind of weird how Megatron would suddenly be all sappy, but otherwise I'd like that as an ending.

19. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    The Sentinel Vs Optimus fight left me wanting more - but as in, "OMG that was so good give me more!" It was so badass to see that the combined Autobot force couldn't even scratch Sentinel. Decepticon ships, Autobots, Optimus and Sentinel, Decepticons, Wreckers, humans, missiles, every stop was pulled out.

Megatron being suddenly killed by Optimus? Anticlimatic. I would've loved to have seen Megatron and Optimus team up. But I absolutely loved the score that plays in the epic slow motion of Optimus killing Megatron once and for all. And of course the "Who would you be without me, Prime?" seemed to reference how Optimus never seems to properly kill Megatron in any continuity, and Optimus decides, "Fuck that, you deserve this." It should've taught Harry Potter a thing or two, to show how the biggest baddest villain finally DIED (not crumbling into dust like he did before to a sad song).

20. Ironhidebot

Ironhidebot Wrecker

I agree that the end seemed rushed, especially megatron's death. I mean, being the main antagonist of the 2 previous movies, he should've died more epic-ly, or teamed up with optimus, and beat the sh*t out of sentinel that way. after killing sentinel, I think megatron should've opportunistically taken a lunge at optimus, but optimus, sensing his attack, should've killed him in an epic way