Customs: Filling styrene 'seams'?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Slothboy, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Hey everyone! I'm new here (I may have made a post a few years ago, but I can't remember!), but hope to post more and share pics of my first Transformers custom once it's done.

Just a quick question about styrene. When two pieces are glued together, what's the best way to get rid of the 'crack' formed from where they're joned? At the moment I'm using apoxie sculpt and will sand it down once it's dried, but just wanted to know if I'm on the right track?
    Also, if that is the case, what grades of sandpaper will be best for it?

Thanks! :) 

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Apoxie is okay, I tend to use it for thicker stuff. If the seams are small I like to use Tamiya putty or something similar, but you can't put the stuff on too thick.

I just work my way to higher grit with sandpaper to get a smooth surface. Lately, I've been using the four sided nail polish things, they are just really convienent to go from rough to smooth quickly.

3. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Thanks alot! I'll look into the Tamiya stuff.

4. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Hey my friend!

Just saw this post I figured I'd let you in on a great little filler for the seams between styrene parts:

Talcum powder & quick set CYA glue!

Believe it or not, if you mix equal parts of both of these together, it makes a fantastically strong gap filler that cures fairly quickly & can be sanded,polished & painted without delay! :) 

Cheers amigo!
    ~BK

5. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Devcon plastic weld. Only thing you need to use and know. Best stuff out there.

6. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Zap A Gap has a green gap filling formula. Leave some of that in the crack, and let it dry for half a second before carefully wiping off the excess. Then, after paint, you won't know there was ever a crack there.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

There's also CA gap-filling glue which works well. But problem with that stuff is it's very thin and goes everywhere.

8. Slothboy

Slothboy Nick

Cool beans guys! I bought the Tamiya filler once Boggs recommended it and it's worked great since I've had it.
    But seriously, thanks for the thread revival. I'll make sure to try some of the suggestions. :) 

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Superglue, put underwater. dry and sand.

10. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    REALLY? Well I gotta try that! I LIVE in the world of Baking Soda and CYA Glue (promotes ISNTANT curing {depending on glue brand} and SUPER strong bonds), gotta see how talc works, sounds like genius!

D/L