Figuring out the Devastator: The Transformation

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Oric, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a clip from revenge of the fallen where the Devastator forms and have been analyzing the footage to get a sense of how you could do the robot mode toys and the main body. I have come to some observations and conclusions from watching the scene over and over again.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss how different people perceive the transformation of Devastator, and for this purpose as much information as possible is being put here to jog our memories.

== - I - DEVASTATOR BY NUMBERS ==

This section is used to identify the various vehicles involved in Devastator's construction.

At about 1h50m into the film Simmons and Leo drive into the area where we first see some of the stationary constructicons.

So we see first in the area:

1) Long Haul (Dumptruck)
    2) Hightower (Crane)

Simmons turns around, presumably facing the crane at 1h52m we see four more vehicles pull in, from left to right we see:

3) Overload (articulated truck)
    4) Scavenger (Terex Excavator)
    5) Mix Master (Cement Mixer)
    6) Scrapper (Dozer on 4 Wheels)

--- Note that Scrapper does change positions in the next scene. Also there is a fifth constructicon mentioned above who would be out of scene so for consistencies sake he will be mentioned below. Mixmaster also has an extra set of dolly wheels on his back and yet another set between the gas tanks and the other ones we see on the voyager toy. Also the innacurate cab roof for Scavenger in the combiner set is actually the same cab roof for Overload instead.

Above looking over at this time we see two more constructicons

7) Long Haul2 (Dump Truck)
    8) Rampage (Red Catterpiller Dozer)

--- The '2' is not a typo. There is in fact two Long Haul's in this scene, as well as two Rampages. More on that later.

*User iamamachine pointed out these two*

A ninth constructicon is also in the mix, but is out of view being on the far right out of frame, so:

9) Rampage2 (Yellow Catterpiller Dozer)

--- This one is Distinct from the other one situated above with Long Haul as there are no cosmetic mods and is yellow in color. This one looks very much like the toy incarnations of himself, not to mention his transformation sequence resembles his deluxe, more on that in the third section.

== - II - THE LINE UP ==

The main cluster of Devastator's parts converge in the center of the yard. If you were to look from the top down they would line up like so:

---(6)--(4)-------
    (3)-----(5)-(2)(9)

---(1)-----------

=============
    (7)--(8)
    =============

And again that is:
    6) Scrapper
    4) Scavenger
    3) Overload
    5) Mixmaster
    2) High Tower
    9) Rampage2

followed by:

1) Long Haul

and on their own:

7) Long Haul 2
    8) Rampage

== - III - PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER ==

we will start with what we know first:

1) Scavenger splits his arm in two, revealing an interior ocelating gear grinder. His arms swing back behind a set of panels, his treads however do not shift yet.

2) Mixmaster's dolly wheels drop as well as the part that syphons the cement. His gas tanks push back as his extra set of wheels folds under, The drum splits in four in a cyclone shape of gears is exposed as tentacles drag him into Scavenger, a clamp locks mixmaster in place, the rotating panels lock back onto Devastator's neck and the cab seemingly forms the head out of seemingly nowhere.

3) Scrapper at the same time we see his shovel flip up and begin forming the fingers as he attempts to skate away.

4) Scavenger's demolisher hand locks into place behind Scrapper. Scrapper does not appear to shift about too much in terms of his parts remaining relatively the same aside from the hand.

4) Off camera Scavenger had plugged himself into the back end of High tower again without too many parts shifting around and slams him into the ground.

5) Meanwhile Rampage2 splits his shovel and the camera pans away to...

6) Long Haul, whose shovebends back as his front end appears to compress inward from the sides.

8) Again off camera, Rampage2 has stood on his shovel fingers, the arms of the shovel are now his wrists, the lifting hydraulics are high in the air and the rest of his underside has appeared to lift up, indicated by his tread direction, Hightower slams into Rampage2 thus forming the entire left arm. The treads compress which appear to be the lock and a portion of Hightower from underneath swung down before the connection so this would either be a lock or a hinge.

Effectively this forms everything from about the chest up, by the time we see Devastator again, everything else has formed. We do know Long Haul forms the right leg, HOW he does it is another matter, and there is a point of interest in the second Long Haul whether he is part of the makeup of that or not.

== - IV - OBSERVATIONS ==

iamamachine believes the two constructicons on the cliff form other parts to bulk out Devastator's body.

Another theory is that, since Long Haul2 and Rampage never transform, that Sam could not have been too far away, since the scene immediately afterward involves Rampage, Sam's parents, Sam and Michaela, insecticons, Starscream (who was not far from the site) and Long Haul among other more random Decepticons. Further evidence by Jordinian assistance, falling helicoptor proximity also suggest how close everybody is to Devastator. It's up to you.

There are a series of observations regarding Devastator, in different scenes that are described below:

-The other leg and assumedly the lower torso (which doesn't account for much space) would probably be taken by Overload and possibly the other Rampage in the mix. That entire area is red.

-Scavenger's cab is actually underneath Devastator's neck, and it would be appropriate to deem Mixmaster as the head and neck.

- On the underside of Devastator's left leg and his crotch there is a large amount of white parts mixed in with the red. This offers further evidence that..... SOMEHOW Overload becomes these areas, the crotch also looks like it could very well be the cab of the articulated truck.

- Suspended between Devastator's legs are two very large, heavy balls-- wrecking balls as a matter of fact. How they got there is anybody's guess. Have a ball, I mean have fun figuring it out.

2. fulbob

fulbob Member

Ebay:
    ^ sounds spot on to me!

3. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    To avoid confusion, I borrow the names from the toys.

At least 9 vehicles form Devastator :
    1. Hightower and 2. Long Haul are parked.
    3. Overload, 4. Mixmaster, 5. Scrapper, 6. Scavenger arrive and park beside 1. Hightower.
    7. Another Long Haul and 8. Rampage arrive over the ridge.
    During transformation, there is another 9. Scrapper to the right of 4. Mixmaster.
    Together are :
    3. Overload, 9. Scrapper, 4. Mixmaster, 5. Scrapper, 1. Hightower and 6. Scavenger is behind them.
    2. Long Haul also transforms.

Details of transformation :
    6. Scavenger splits his scoop arm to form shoulders like the Legends Devastator.
    6. Scavenger pulls in 4. Mixmaster.
    6. Scavenger pulls in 9. Scrapper for the right arm.
    6. Scavenger pulls in 1. Hightower for the left arm.
    Use of 3. Overload and how the green right leg (using one of the 2 Long Hauls) and left leg are formed was not shown.
    5. Scrapper is added as the left hand.

In the movie, Long Haul is 2x longer than Rampage so the legs will never be even unless more Constructicons are used. One easy way to get even legs is to use 2 Long Hauls for the legs. Rampage can be added to the right arm instead.

The $100 Devastator toy is not movie accurate bec. in it, Scavenger is placed upside down and the scoop arm is not split but is in the scrotum area and folded over the butt. The $100 Devastator toy is also missing Overload.

4. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hmm I think we are definitely getting somewhere.

I did notice the extra constructicons and duplicates but didn't see how their makeup was involved in his body.

Although having said that we definitely don't see other constructicons running around near Devastator.

I did notice the movie accurate Rampage and long haul above but I don't recall them being close to the area where Devastator transformed.

Confusing.

The hand add on to hightower isnt scrapper though if you end up seeing it again. It has treads on it, flat ones with the dirty shovel like we see in the combiner set and similar to his Rampage toy equivalent. Weirdest thing about it is, even though he is clearly a catterpillar shovel thing like we have at my mine site, he isn't shown parking with the rest of the group. Unless he is the one parked next to mixmaster I will have to check it again.

The second long haul I think is the first one, I could be wrong but I think it was a case of shots being put out of sequence, and only because there is very little green anywhere on Devastator's body.

Perhaps then the movie accurate Rampage as I will call him, is in fact the other leg.

What do you think? Are you able to view this as well like me?

5. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    UPDATE:

Thanks for your help!

So we got

1) Scavenger, main body
    2)Overload and possibly screen accurate Rampage forming other leg. Though when Turturro parks next to Long Haul there is another crane there, perhaps thats the other leg which would explain why he has 'wrecking balls'
    3) Scrapper forms right arm
    4) Hightower and toy accurate Rampage form right arm
    5)Mixmaster forms head
    6) Long Haul in the leg possibly two bonded

Having viewed this scene probably thirty times at this point... I can see why Hasbro would be confused....

6. ManiactoaLaco

ManiactoaLaco Well-Known Member

Sounds fairly good to me.

However, note when Devy's head is coming out of Mixmaster. It's gray.

In the rest of the scenes, it's red.

Plus, there's no way ONLY the cab of a Cement truck becomes Deavastaors entire head.

I think Overload bcomes the necand head, along with Mixmaster.

THis also gives him the ability to do the vortex thing, along with actually being as nig as it was in the movie. Plus it lets it be red.

Man, I wish the $100 guy was at least ALMOST as accurate as this. A whole bunch of 8-9 vehicles would be more worth $100 than 6.

Not to mention the fact that the $100 guy barely looks like movie Dev.

Plus, the sizes on the $100 guy really annoy me for some reason.

MTL

7. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    In Hasbro's defense, my God, it has taken so many views and I am just beginning to wrap my head around just what this guy is made out of.

I think you could very well be right on the Overload thing. The head does get a heck of alot more red on it.

You know I never liked the add on take off method from transformers when I was a kid, such as Power Master's head being removeable... but in the movie universe I think it would be a forgiveable sin.... I think I am going to update this with you two's information.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    From what I saw, Rampage doesn't form the entire lower left arm, but about half of it. He also seems to be a much smaller kind of bulldozer that is different then that of the toy, while another, larger bulldozer that DOES match the toy's altmode (confused yet?) forms the left leg.

9. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    yeah I agree, it took awhile to edit this post but it reflects that now

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Somebody from ILM needs to find this thread and shine some light on the subject. Obviously they planned this all out, so they must know how many vehicles they decided to use and what went where. (unless they just started making parts up out of nowhere as they went along, to make him look cooler, like the rest of the robots. Look at bumblebee for christ sakes, he makes no sense at all, just randomness.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm betting this.

12. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    OMG, please stop. As commendable as it is for you to analyze the scene to this degree, the transformation isn't cut & dry enough. A general sense can be had, but back shortly before the premiere of the first installment an official DM.net Stooge (I really don't recall which one, but they could likely answer instantly if asked) interviewed ILM and they made clear that there is cheating in the transformations, "parts that come out of nowhere". So while I certainly bow to your breakdown of what happens to certain identifiable pieces at certain points during the transformation sequence, you have to understand there's very likely a great deal of pieces & parts that show up out of nowhere, especially given the scale of RotF Devastator.

Then again, who the hell am I (of all people) to tell someone not to overthink something Transformers? :lol 

13. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Had a bad feeling this was happening...

Still think for $100 they could have made this thing better, esp since the vehicles don't transform into anything else...

14. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I still find Mixmaster's mass shift hilarious.

15. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    instead of mixmaster or hook saying constructicons merge to become devastator..
    reember when scorpion shot out the arrow from his hand that's how it's done

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'm pretty much certain at this point that the extra Long Haul and red Rampage on the cliff are the individual bots we see later; everybody that forms Devastator was down there in the pit somewhere.

17. Mattamus Prime

Mattamus Prime Well-Known Member

I think they should bring back Devestaor in 3

HERE'S MY THOUGHT:
    Overload is the leader of all constructicons and is the one contructicon that can make the rest combine. I say they go with that idea for the next one.

How else do you explain all the contructicons all over the place. 2 Longhawls, 2 scappers, 2 mixmasters, etc.

I only saw one Overload though:) 

I think that one transformers should be the key to transforming the rest. Then they can keep a lot of constructions for the next movie, make Overload a character with depth and then go with the idea.

18. Necrocom4

Necrocom4 Well-Known Member

in the $100 toys defense: i recently took my brother to see the movie. hes not really a transformers fan but he liked the movie. i showed him pics of the supreme toy and he knew who it was without having to tell him. i told him that i just wish it was a bit more accurate to the movie and he says, "well there seemed to be alot of moving parts and to get a toy to work and be that complex im suprised they were even able to make what they did." so yeah i agree with the hasbro being confused thing.

19. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    The left hand of Devastator is a yellow Scrapper. The shovel of Scrapper has holes at the top and teeth at the bottom and transforms by splitting the shovel into 3 parts. Scrapper has no tracks and the tracks are from Hightower after the combination.
    So there were 2 yellow Scrappers and only 1 yellow Rampage shown in forming Devastator.

There is no extra Rampage.
    The extra Long Haul and the single yellow Rampage that came over the ridge were not spectators and obviously came over to form Devastator. It does not make sense that the Long Haul and yellow Rampage that came over the ridge just came over only to watch Devastator form.

2 Long Hauls were used to form Devastator. One of them can be seen in the green right leg of Devastator. Rampage alone is too short to form the left leg of Devastator. More vehicles are needed to make Devastator look right and some of the vehicles were probably not shown in the scene. There were at least 9 vehicles shown but there could've been more. Long Haul 2x longer than Rampage so the legs will not be even unless more vehicles are used.

As for the $100 toy, my guess is they sacrificed accuracy for stability. They also got rid of Overload to keep the price low. Overload also makes Devastator look too slim. They probably decided not to split the scoop of Scavenger for stability. One giant Scavenger for the body is more stable than a Scavenger split into shoulders and a folded Overload for a slim body. I do find it strange why they decided to put Scavenger upside down which just looks stupid. Everyone who has seen the movie knows Scavenger was not upside down in forming Devastator.

20. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It is a yellow rampage, there are four treads on devastators left arm. I paused and slowed down the clip I have for frame by frame to make my assessment. At the point if you are able to watch it again, the yellow rampage looking character 'waddles' away a bit and hightower is thrust into him, the smaller treads lock around the wrist while the larger ones remain in their stationary position.

However, after the top five pieces are formed, it is anybodies guess what happens. The yellow Rampage is just a catterpillar dozer and absolutely not a Scrapper.

I don't mean to correct you with the extra long haul and rampage, I just see it differently with those two. They could very well be a part of it as the lower portions of Devastator actually never go through a visual transformation and the parts don't seem to fit any other vehicles all that well.

Of the nine vehicles shown only six of them are in frame for the transformation sequence. The Overload character if there is a transformation sequence available it never showed up in the film, and the Long Haul on the ground barely goes through any change on camera.

The two constructicons overlooking the pit where they all are remain stationary, and in the very next scene Rampage along with Ravage and Sam's mom and dad happens; which also includes Long Haul and shortly thereafter an additional Scrapper. That village is also overlooking the pyramids and around the dropsite for Prime. I put that in observations as I can only guess by that.

Considering the bulk of Devastator however, I can't say with any degree of confidence that those two are not part of the transformation, however there just doesn't seem to be alot to suggest that they are involved. All of the other constructicons were in the pit and go through some sequence of changes with the exception of Overload, perhaps at the request of Hasbro not wanting to offer too much attention to this vehicle for the sake of their 100 dollar constructicon devastator. Lending further credit to this is the fact that Devastator does crawl out of that pit to the best of my recollection when Megatron calls out his name later.

Covenant-

I can definitely believe that! However the top torso up really do seem to fit pretty well (though Scavenger and Mixmaster's changes seem overly sketchbag to really say that at least 'some' of their parts don't identifiably come from the vehicles.)

Anything below the chest though, even on the pyramid scaling, some of those joints just don't look like they come out of a real machine. There are no Terminator style knees of that size I can see being used in any vehicle.