figures you messed up when custumizing.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Magnus12, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Has anyone accidentally ruined one of there figures in the proccess of customizing?

I sort of screwed up prime ratchet while making him more red. hopefully I can take some of that red paint off. I also ruined my movie 1 leader megatron.

2. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Classics Ironhide... not ruined, but not looking too hot right now.

Short of that, anything I've painted/customized has come out really well.... which I don't mean in a "I'm patting my own back" kinda way, but more of a "damn I was SURE I was gonna screw that up... glad it came out OK!" kinda way :lol 

3. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol yea i screwed up a prime rid optimus trying to color in his clear parts. i used those paint markers and the plastic looked pink when it dried. glad i have a first edition cause im not trying that again.

4. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

lol thats exactly how I feel when custumizing. I really should have been more careful with ratchet though. I cleaned him, but I should fo really took him apart first. I still really like the way his arms came out, but the parts where some red paint got on him dried up. I took it off, but now they look pink :( 

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Classics Rodimus...back in 2008...when I was trying to turn him into Omnibot Overdrive.

6. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

I tried to take apart a Classics Drift and spray paint it black. After I got it all apart and painted I tried to put it back together. The paint, even though it was a thin coat, was too thick and made it impossible for it to fit together without scraping every joint.

So I bought another one and tried to Dye it Black. I thought I did everything correct but, they dye wouldn't take. Came out as white as when I put it in.

7. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wouldn't say messed up, but more of a happy accident. I was trying some different color combos (with an 18-pack Sharpie marker set) on one of the two RiD Arcees I bought, in an attempt to get the dark metallic blue color that's more accurate to the CGI show.

Instead, I have her painted up in a very nice metallic purple using the dark blue Sharpie. The color is totally wrong but at the same time I dig it very much and she's coming along very nicely with Elita-1 homage colors instead. The way the marker goes on the light blue plastic gives it such an unreal metallic sheen that I'm very impressed with it and decided to go all in on finishing her with this color as a custom. (I'll post in Radicons once I'm done detailing her.)

I'm still trying to find the right color marker to give my other Arcee more accurate show colors. XD Time to google some color theory combo charts.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My WFC Optimus Prime. I tried to paint him up to be like Ultra Magnus. Didn't turn out so good. Going to try removing all the paint soon.

9. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    my universe 2.0 ratchet. i tried to remove his decals on vehicle mode but they only partly faded off and i can't get the rest off.

same thing happened with my MP starscream, i tried taking off the grayish on his jet mode but its still all messy

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Probably about the same time I let one sit in dye too long. Several of the parts shrunk.

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twice I've done this, two very different situations. I'm far more cautious about even using sharpies now.

First time, I was trying to repaint Energon Towline into a classics Ratchet. It was going grand, except I didn't seem to comprehend that old modelling enamels I found in the garage aren't the best paint to use for such a process. Nor is not thinning them with water.

Nope, I sloped it on and, sure enough, the end result was a rather dirty looking Ratchet. Got the head looking good, and the arms were awesome, but that's about it.
    Luckily, a proper customiser took him off my hands and hopefully he's now living a full, rich life in a decent colour scheme.
    The chap was on here, shame I can't remember their username or I'd PM em and see how that Towline custom went!

Second time, I was removing paint apps from my classics Optimus Prime using... I think it was diluted acetone. Either way, I tested this stuff on a PM Prime rifle to remove some paint apps there, worked a treat. Thought "hey, let's get rid of those daft yellow stripes on Prime's arms!"........my poor Prime is still scarred to this day. I'd try and replace his arms, but it'd prove too much effort and I'm really hoping a new classics Prime gets released that's styled more after the IDW design.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :useless 

13. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

3/4 of my collection...:cry 

14. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

How many people take pics of their failures?

15. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm curious to see what people consider a screw up and just how badly they screwed up. :) 

16. TheMrmaster21

TheMrmaster21 I will swallow your soul.

I messed up my ROTF Sideways by trying to give him the the black paint and silver stripes he had on the hood, roof, and trunk, but it looked a little under "so-so". This is not much of a mess up, but on First Edition Starscream and PRID Ratchet and Optimus, I used red sharpie to make them all a little more accurate. They all came out fine, but the sharpie keeps rubbing off onto my fingers, sometimes staining the figures. The stains usually disappear, though, and they are very faint.

17. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    Several. Not going to go into the details. Let's just say I've learned to leave well enough alone.

18. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

My first custom was a TFA Activators Cliffjumper I made with an extra Bumblebee. I taped over the wheels and symbol then spray painted it. It looked like shit and his face melted off.

19. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Lets see:

Try painting Movie 1 Recuse Ratchet into Hoist's color scheme, gave up 3/4 of the way due to parts breaking, losing parts, paint freezing joints in place, and laziness kicking in.

Painting Movie 1 Camaro Concept Bumblebee Silver, same reasons listed above

Trying to mod Universe Blaster to transform into a boombox, Universe Blaster, Armada Optimus Prime (the one with Sparkplug), and Energon Inferno are damage beyond repair.

20. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

This.... But it was the Premium version.