Figure Storage: Are Ziploc Baggies Safe?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Mar 13, 2011.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I recently had to break down my Transformers room so that I could turn it into a bedroom for my 3-year-old daughter.

I have alot of loose figures that I placed into Ziploc bags and then stored them into your standard brown storage/moving boxes.

I'm wondering if I keep these figures stored in Ziploc bags over time, will they harm my figures? I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to take them out of storage and I'm wondering about the acidity of the plastic that Ziploc bags are made out of.

I started wondering about this because I once had an autographed baseball that was stored in a standard plastic baseball display. Over time, the ball got all of these orange "bloches" all over it because apparently the plastic the ball display was made out of was not acid-free.

So is there anyone out there who can answer this for me? THANKS!!

2. AMG

AMG Old School

The best advice I can give for TF storage is to get some large plastic bins (30/55 gallon). Transform them all into alt mode (so less parts are sticking out) and layer them into the bins with cloth (pillow cases, old shirts) between each layer. They will be snug and safe from scratching this way.

3. John ofthe Dead

John ofthe Dead Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Be very, VERY careful if setting soft plastics on soft plastics. I had several TFs stored in large plastic tubs for a move. When I took them out, I discovered that Bludgeon's treads had been laying on Classics Silverbolt's canopy and the two parts had fused together. It wasn't melted due to heat, as everything was climate controlled. No, it was a chemical reaction between the two. I got them separated, but Bludgeon's tread brought red paint with it, and Silverbolt has a deep imprint of the treads in his chest.

I think with most TFs, you'll probably be OK, but different plastics react differently, and usually the softer they are, the more reactive they are.

4. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    The only piece of advice that hasn't been said is DON'T USE FOAM MESH. Certain types of paint bond with it when left touching too long.

5. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I store most of my TFs in bubble wrap and put them inside storage bins. I use zip lock bags on my figures like Marvel Legends since there are less surface area and less prone to scratch against each other like TFs do.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you put them in plastic bags, poke some holes in the bags to let the plastic "breathe".

7. kraven

kraven Decepticon

Hey Grimlock, Im in the same situation as you. But I currently still have half my daughters room (shes 2 1/2), so that means half my collection has been in storage for the last 3 years. I put my toys in ziploc freezer bags and store them in rubbermaid storage tubs. From time to time I go into my storage room to look around and swap out some figures I have on display and Ive seen no problems at all. Seems to work. I also have a bizillion other tubs with toys from when I was a kid and I go through those far less than my TFs, for instance I just went through my Dinoriders tub that I had not looked in for about a year and a half, all that stuff was fine too. Anyway, I definitely would invest in storage tubs.

8. rcal7109

rcal7109 Maximal

I do the same for my TFs in storage right now. Will the bubble wrap leave marks on the plastic if left wrapped around a TF for too long?

9. Dinobots Rule

Dinobots Rule Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive had figures wrapped in bubble wrap for over 2 years and it didnt hurt them. so my guess is no.

10. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    It depends.

The answer is mostly, yes they are safe. However, the releasing agent used in the baggie production is not safe. So, if you have one sealed up for a long while and that particular baggie happened to not get all the releasing agent washed out or off of it in production, it can react badly with the plastic.

It's not a likely situation, but you asked.

(information is from my wife, who is a soon-to-be PhD chemical engineer)

11. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I only use Ziploc bags for instructions and additional accessories. For TF storage, I still recommend hard plastic boxes that you can find in say, Target. They are a bit bulky, but will leave you with a bit more a sense of security

12. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    When I moved last summer I used baggies. I didn't have any issues, but I never left them out in the heat.

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good topic. I never thought about this when packing up my TFs. What about wrapping them in tissue paper or wax paper before putting them in a bin?

EDIT: Try googling the topic and didn't get much except for that fact that Ziplocs are made from polyethylene which is generally safe but you'd still have to worry about the releasing agent that Counterpunch was referring to.

Where are you storing these? You don't want to put them in a place with large swings in temperature. Also, if you put them in the brown moving boxes keep them out of any areas that may get insects and/or rats.

14. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Foam mesh is the destroyer of paints.

15. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I never really thought about this, because I keep all the boxes and cards for my Tformers (I've only been collecting for the past couple of years). But now I'm wondering if even those are safe to store in. Usually have them wrapped up in the same store plastic bags I bought them in too.

16. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those are probably safe. Foam mesh is that stuff you usually use for shelf liners in kitchen drawers, or put under carpets to prevent slipping. They have to amazing ability to suck off paint. You can see damaged paint and foam residue here on the chest:

[​IMG]

17. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I read somewhere that it is safer to use acid-free Ziploc bags, and you also have to replace them with new ones every 2 years.

Anyway, I would like to ask how safe is bubble wrap when loose figures are wrapped in them, and also MOSC ones, will it have any chemical reaction with the bubble or card?

18. jru42287

News Credits:
    I totally quoted you by accident actually. What I had to say about storing in the boxes and cards really had nothing to do with foam mesh at all haha. Sorry about that. But thanks for the info!

What figure was that from by the way?

19. process

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ROTF Silverbolt.

20. jru42287

News Credits:
    From the Superion combiner set?