Figure line overveiws

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaikeruSan, Apr 14, 2008.

1. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    Well I thought it would be nice to start a kinda line overveiw thread.

G1
    Fun toys none are super awsome but none are bad either. I think they were fun becuase they were bricks. But were never really accurate. Overall the g1 line as a whole is great but not super great.

Beast Wars
    The line I grew up with. There were some great figures there were some not so good figures. They were fun poseable, accurate but somtime floppy as hell. A great line but yeat again not the best.

Beast Machines
    Barley resembled there counterparts, really floppy, most colours chose were horrible. Not a good line at all. I cant think of one toy I liked in that line.

RID
    Awsome line. Shows combiners dont have to be bricks to work. Rubber tires, Ultramagnus Prime fusion. One of my favourite lines so far.

Armada
    Kinda felt like we went back to g1. They were bricks but accurate. I thought they were fun. Good line but not great.

Energon
    SHIT

Cybertron
    Awsome line. Accurate fun detailed. But the cyberkeys were annoying and go in the way. Then again they were so accurate to the show it was like you having that character. Do to they probably just used the toy models for the characters in the show. Great line another favourite. I had my favourite Megatron in it (of course im talking about galvatron)

Movie
    I liked the line had some cool transformations. But not a fun line. So much kibble. It bassicly made it impossible to move them due to all the floppy bits. Not my favourite line, But an ok line.

Hope to see your reviews on the seperate lines to guys.

2. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

"do" and "due" aren't interchangeable.

3. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    Did you post this in the wrong thread?

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say you're contradicting yourself by saying the movie line is kibble ridden, but don't say Beast Wars or RID was. I would say those two line have more then the movie line.

Otherwise your assessments were pretty fair. I grew up with G1, but I think I like the Cybertron line the most.

5. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    I loved the movie line. I just didnt feel the fun in them.

6. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

What about classics??

7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    There are many figures in the movie line that can move without kibble getting in the way. Starscream, Leader/Voyager Prime, both Bumblebees, Leader Brawl, Ironhide, Ratchet, Incinierator, et al, there are a bunch. For the ones that did have kibble that got in the way, Jazz is one of the worst.

I collected the AEC trilogy figures and movie line, and the movie line blows away both armada and energon combined. Regardless of whether or not you liked the movie or styling, Leader Prime is one of the best mainline Primes ever concieved.

8. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I understand. I liked the movie line a lot- it has some of my favorite molds, but in truth I am a bit tired of the line and ready to move on. I liked RID and Beast Wars as well. I was just commenting on the kibble comment with the movie line. When I think of the worst kibble, RID always comes to mind thanks mainly to Prime's super mode (the ginormous, unyieldly ladder on his back) and the car Bros. I also think Beast Wars had a bit of kibble since it often had large chunks of the animal body hangining somewhere or the hand being the animal head and such. I personally don't get bothered by kibble as much as a lot of others here, so I'm not really insulting the lines from my own perspective. Anyways, sorry, I don't mean to be all anal about it, you can disslike the movie line all your want for whatever reasons.

9. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:

I agree 100%. It also has alot of my favourite figures in it. My favourite is g1 grimlock^.^. I dont care about kibble at all. But Brawl, Ironhide, Jazz kinda bothered me. Still loved the line dont know how anyone can hate it. Is anyone else going to do any overveiws like I asked? Id like to know what every one else thought of the lines. I loved the leader prime

10. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme supremest of unicrons

News Credits:
    I might do one later since I actually have something from every American line thus far.

11. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    Just to be nit picky

out of American lines you forgot G2,Classics,universe and Titanium.(and maybe more if I'm forgetting something)

The last three are forgivable since they were not mainline, but still.
    Also seeing as how big G1 was, it'd probably help to separate it in into different parts.

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Cool Thread idea.

G1: It's hard for me to remain objective when looking back at a 25 year old toyline, but as a kid there were few things I remember being more excited about than getting a new Transformer, opening it up and having my dad help me apply the stickers. In the timeframe it was in it's heyday the engineering was jawdropping to a little kid my age. Nostalgia is a huge factor with me, but I remember Transformers being with me through a lot of good times and bad times.

Favorites: Grimlock, Slag, Sludge, Swoop, Trypticon, Jetfire, Fort Max, Megatron, Soundwave and the Decepticon Jets

Least Favorites: Again, it's really hard to look at it objectively especially when modern engineering is in my face every time I go into my collection room, but I gotta say at the time I was pretty let down by the '86 movie toys. I appreciate them well enough now but back then they didn't seem to mesh well with my older Transformer toys.

G2: Ninja Turtles and Comic Books got me out of Transformers in the late eighties/ early 90's but I was excited about getting Jazz and Sideswipe, two molds I never had during G1's release. The colors were VERY early-90's-riffic, but seeing them back on shelves was very cool for me. The new molds were very cool, I REALLY liked the Laser Rods when I got them at the very tail end of G2's run.

Favorites: All the Laser Rods and most of the Cyber Jets.

Least Favorites: I honestly don't have enough of the line to make a fair judgement, but out of what I have, Skyjack is pretty flimsy. But I still like it!

BW: I admit when I first saw BW on the shelves I was one who knashed their teeth about how "Tranz4murz wurn't teh meet thyngz!" but I did get the original Dinobot which I thought was pretty cool. Then I caught some of the season 3 episodes and started liking some of the characters so I bought TM2 Cheetor and TM2 Dinobot. Then a couple years ago I got the entire series on DVD, went ebay-crazy, and bought a ton of BW toys. I know the Cyberjet's introduced ball joints to Transformers engineering, but BW totally made it a standard. The original releases were VERY kibbly and pretty ugly to be perfectly honest, but as the line went on it got much better.

Favorites: Original Dinobot, TM2 Dinobot, 10th Anniversary Optimus vs. Megatron, Air Hammer, TM1 Optimus Primal.

Least Favorites: Original Rhinox tops the list.

BM: I watched the first few episodes of the show but never got that many toys. Unfortunately the Show designs just wouldn't lend themselves to toys very well at all, on top of the very weird size class choices. I still only have a handful of them...some are cool, others have grown on me, some still just don't do anything for me whatsoever.

Favorites: Deluxe Jetstorm, Obsidian.

Least Favorites: I skipped out on everything I thought looked terrible, so I like the ones I have well enough.

RiD: This is what got me back into collecting full time. I bought X-Brawn and Prowl and it just escalated from there. I loved the articulation and the designs. The major downside is the kibble, the fiddly-ness and the partsformer aspect some of them had, plus the fact it was mainly just a line made up of repaints but I still totally dig it in spite of the fact I can't stand the show.

Favorites: Optimus Prime, Car Brothers, Scourge, Rail Racer, Dreadwing, Smokejumper

Least Favorites: It's hard to say I dislike any of them...but Spychanger Ironhide has a hard time balancing lol...I'll have to go with it.

Armada: After being totally stoked about the Car Brothers and Rail Racer, Armada was a MASSIVE letdown for me overall. I wasn't a fan of the gimmicks and the toys just felt like a big mass of plastic with hardly any articulation. I appreciate them MUCH more today than I did when I first got them, but I still have the opinion it was a major step back after RiD.

Favorites: Unicron.

Least Favorites: Sideways.

Energon: Much better than Armada, but the Autobots' combining gimmick seriously put a damper on what for the most part could have been awesome toys. The Decepticons on the other hand were consistently very cool. The energon weapon gimmick was very cool IMO, since it was unobtrusive to the toys they came with, plus it gave extra weapons to the larger toys.

Favorites: Landmine, Mirage, Strongarm, Inferno, Ironhide (yes Ironhide :lol ), Towline, Sharkticon.

Least Favorites: Deluxe Optimus Prime.

Cybertron: I still wasn't too fond of the gimmicks BUT for the most part they were much more unobtrusive than the previous two lines. The toys in both factions are consistently good with decent articulation and some very cool alt modes. This is the first main line I bought every release of, and IMO it's the best main line released thus far.

Favorites: Optimus Prime, Evac, Mudflap, Landmine, Armorhide, Sideways, CD Scattorshot, Ransack GTS and Galvatron (mine is still in the box but I like the Megatron mold just like the Galvatron colors better)

Least Favorites: Overhaul, Scattorshot and Backstop

TFTM 2007: When I first saw the movie designs I swore there was no way they could possibly make toys based on them. While not absolutely 300% faithful to the on-screen renditions of the characters I'd say the engineers did a DAMN good job of at least hitting fairly close. Some of them are a tad bit too fiddly for my tastes, but overall I've really enjoyed the movie line. I just wish Blackout and Bonecrusher had been released in bigger sizes, and the Voyager Optimus mold had been retired MUCH sooner. I can't forget the Real Gears which are totally fun but unfortunately plagued by way too many repaints!

Favorites: Leader Optimus, Longarm, Landmine, Concept Bumblebee Overcast, Leader Brawl and Dropkick

Least Favorites: Blackout, Bonecrusher, Jazz, and Payload.

Universe: Backing up a bit to the original Universe....I think it was a FANTASTIC idea, just poorly done. I was very happy to get many of the molds I missed out on the first round of their releases, but the paint schemes left MUCH to be desired. I wish they'd released more Japanese exclusive molds like Nemesis Prime and the Micromaster Combiners to the Stateside market, then maybe it would have gone over a little better. Maybe.

Favorites: Skywarp, Nemesis Prime, Micromaster Combiners.

Least Favorites: Ratchet, Magna Stampede.

Alternators: Loved the line at first, but it went downhill hard and fast (though Mirage was great and toward the end). I understand why collectors love them, but to me a) they're boring, b) they're not nearly as articulated as most mainline toys, c) they're only released at a (fairly) expensive price point. I understand repaints were needed to recoup cost, but the ones toward the end were poorly done halfassed attempts with characters few collectors really gave a crap about. They look cool displayed on my shelf, but thats about the extent of it for me. They should have killed it off long before they did and put it out of it's misery.

Favorites: Silverstreak, Tracks, Grimlock, Shockwaveblast, Prowl (with the leg mod), Skids, Mirage.

Least Favorites: Corvette Ravage, Optimus Prime, Camshaft, Rollbar, Ricoshet

Titanium A neat idea, but too expensive and way too much die cast. I did like the character choices for the most part though and think it would be cool if they continued the basis of it in Universe 2.0 (in plastic of course).

Favorites: Rodimus Prime, The Fallen, Cheetor.

Least Favorites: WW Optimus, GI Joe Megatron, Soundwave.

Classics: Love it. My favorite Transformers line ever just because it's what I've wanted since I opened up the RiD Car Brothers.

Favorites: Pretty much everything, but if I had to pick one it would be Mirage.

Least Favorites: Deluxe Optimus vs. Megatron.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    my views, as someone who's been around a long time:

G1: The standard by which everything is judged through rose-colored glasses on the internet. There's a lot of coolness to be found if you don't expect toy and cartoon to look exactly alike, and view it by it's own standard instead of by toys that came out decades later. I do remember even then being annoyed with toys that had seperate hands, or where both legs were molded together as a solid chunk.

G2: The grand experiment, albeit one with some funky color choices. Pity it wasn't more successful. It set up the building blocks for most future lines by bringing us new and different gimmick-based ideas, and most notably, the introduction of fully-articulated robots where the joints are above and beyond those needed for transformation.

BW: The line that brought me back to TFs, though the show had more to do with it than the toys. I was amazed at the level of paint detail and articulation at the time. I wasn't so crazy about the monstrous and/or TMNT grimacing face sculpts. Transmetals (1) was probably my favorite point overall (except when the chome starts deteriorating)

BM: Hit and miss for me, though I liked several of the Vehicons. Had one of the worse issues with show/toy disparity and scale, such as Nightscream being one of the largest toys while Silverbolt is one of the smallest, or all Cheetors dwarfing all Megatrons. There were several excellent toys though.

RiD: At the time, it was what everyone seemed to want - a return to vehicle toys but with the tech level of BW/BM. I like them, but had issues with the kibble and complexity, not to mention the heavy use of repaints from other lines (Scourge is excellent though) It became a good place to let out some of the better exclusives/repaints and unproduced BM toys, paving the way for Universe (1)

Armada: Obviously a return to the kiddies, who preferred simpler transformations and more gimmicky toys, and successful apparently. I liked the Minicons, but kinda indifferent to many of the larger toys, especially when articulation was lost. Unicron, Hoist, and Bendy Prime were quite nice though.

Universe: As an all-repaint line, it was a mix of terrible and pretty good.

Energon: An improvement on Armada, especially on the Decepticon end of things. The Autobots were kinda hobbled by the 'everyone combines' gimmick though. I kinda wish the Energon weapons were more modular in design, as then new large weapons could be built up from the pieces Lego-style.

Alternators: Great start devolves into repaints and whatever.

Cybertron: Armada take 2, with keys replacing Minicons. Much nicer and more consistent overall, though there's always a few clunkers.

Classics: Fun bunch. Basically Cybertron-style toys built on homage. Grimlock was the only one I didn't care for. I even liked the minicons.(well, some of them)

Titaniums: Nice ideas, poor execution for the most part

Movie: The complexity was ratcheted up out of necessity, and it's impressive how close to the movie CGI designs they toys got. Some toys were great, though I found I prefer the less complex, less alien lines.

Animated: Only seen a little thus far, but am impressed with the design, quality, and expressive style, not to mention the close parity between show and toy in every one I've handled so far. I expect I'll continue to be impressed, though the overall style of the line leads to me mentally separating it from other lines, as they don't mix well.

Universe 2: Looking forward to it. That's all I can say so far.

14. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    G1- A very diverse line. Amazing amount of detail in a lot of the molds, great nostalgia level, and really set the stage for things. Its main downfalls was that it got too gimmicky. Otherwise, to a toy owner of today, the toys contruction (articulation) is very obsolete and brick like.

G2- I love the Prime and Megatron molds, but otherwise there was nothing I recall much besides it's eye blistering colors.

Beast Wars- Added great amounts of articulation and had a nice show backing it. However, I think it's slightly overrated only because, at least to me, it would seem that making an animal alt mode change to an articulated bot seems easier then making a generally solid object like a jet or a car change to a fully articulated bot. I still like it and it had a lot of good molds.

Beast Machine- I don't know much, since I never collected these, but I don't really like what I see.

RID- This got me back into collecting. I like a lot of things about these but also am bothered by the complicated transformations and piece forming larger bots. Not enough to disslike them, just that it is a pimple on an otherwise clean face.

Armada- I must admit that I like a lot of the molds in this line. It was a step back for articulation but a step forward in cleaner, easier to transform toys.

Energon- Honestly, I was not a big fan of the line. I have about 4 toys total from the whole line just because they just weren't too appealing to me. It does have one of my favorite Megatron/Galvatron mold though.

Cybertron- My favorite line. Pretty much had the classics construction before the classics came to be. Had a bunch of well articulated, interesting looking molds. Probably my favorite Prime mold not taking nostalgia in to consideration.

Classics- Well, from what I have collected, this is basically Cyberton level construction with more nods to the G1 counterparts. So it's great, and only really falls behind Cybertron because of, well, the limited figures we have. But, we will see where it goes in universe.

Alternators- When I started reading more online forums I was surprised to see how well loved this line was. Beforehand, from I guess an "oustiders" perspective, I didn't like the licensing factor of it, the limiting alt modes, limit to size, and complex transformations and repaints. Although, each indiviual mold is actually really good, but they, in my opinion, needed to be only a small fraction of a larger line without the restrictions.

Titaniums- I liked the odd character choices, and the way they visited WW characters. However, the contruction wasn't what it could have been. It was getting better though, and I was looking forward to the cancelled bots. It had some great, fun molds, but also one of the worst- Soundwave. Ugh.

Movie 2007- Great complexity and detail, and had some great molds, such as leader Prime and Leader Brawl. My main problem was that I'm not crazy about having so few actual characters but a lot of size classes and repaints for each.

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I'm going to agree with pretty much everything Feralstorm said.

For one thing, I don't think the G1 line was fun because they were bricks - that just seems silly. Why would you like a figure because it has hardly any articulation? G1 figures were fun because they were a fresh idea, combining cool vehicles with cool robots in one toy. And they had personality, thanks to the packaging (and later, the comics and cartoon).
    Which brings me to the second point - the G1 toys were accurate, the cartoon wasn't. I think that's an important distinction - don't knock the toys for not resembling the cartoon characters, who didn't exist when they were designed.
    And there were a fair few 'super awesome' figs in my book. Fort Max, for sheer brute size; Overlord (not in the States, but he was part of G1 here); the Constructicons; Soundwave; the Headmaster Horrorcons. Whether you consider them impressive next to today's toy technology may be up for debate, but you can't question how much innovation was going on when they were actually made.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    G1 - Awesome for its time. Especially 84 and 85. 86, unfortunately, was a big step down, and it never quite stepped back up after that. By today's standards, I prefer toys that can pose, but the cornerstones of G1 stay with me; my favorite toys are always the ones that are G1 updates, and the more G1 it is, the better. For instance, I love the Alternators because they have so many throwbacks to the 84 line, such as trunk feet rather than normal feet pulled out of the trunks. I dont like how much it costs to collect G1, or how small they are, but they're still hugely important.

G2 - started out odd, with weird repaints of G1 figures (though some, like Sideswipe and Ramjet, were awesome) and some rather lame new figures. But then it gave us something amazing: MOVING LIMBS. Cyberjets, Laser-rods, Dreadwing, some of the greatest stuff to come out of the franchise, and in some ways not even topped to this day.

BW - I wasnt really buying BW toys when they were on the shelves, and as a result I dont own many that werent Universe repaints and I dont have much nostalgia for the line. However, the toys that I do have, I think are all very nice. Toys like Tigerhawk and Cryotek have massive detail and wild transformations. My only fault with this line is that I cant integrate with the other lines very well.

BM - not a great line, in fact, almost all of the Maximals were... just awful (Blackarachnia being an exception). However, I really love the Vehicons. Some toys, such as the 86 G1s or the Cybertron figures, are criticized for being overly futuristic but still trying to pass for real vehicles. The Vehicons basically sidestep this by not pretending to be real vehicles. They embrace the fact that they're freaky made up machines of destruction, and they look cool doing it. The Mega sized Tankor is one of my favorite toys in any line.

RiD - RiD is a good line, but with some odd quirks. The Car Bros (who I dont own any of, despite the numerous repaints), have much better vehicle modes than many figures, even the ones from Classics and the Movie. Yet their robot modes suffer from Takara's shellformer syndrome, much like BWNeo. In fact, they're basically BWN figures attempting to turn the clock back to vehicle modes. The other figures in the line, however (Prime, Rail Racer, Megatron) are all amazing, and (as I said with G2), even better than many newer figures. Rail Racer is, almost unquestionably, the best combiner in the franchise. Plus, this line gave us a new chance at owning Fort Max, and a lot of very nice looking repaints, such as everyone's favorite Scourge.

Armada - I got really into Armada when it was new, and I still love the mini-con gimmick; I find it to be the line's major redeeming feature, as it makes playing with the larger toys more fun than they would be without the mini-cons. Because the larger toys are fairly lackluster. At the time, I thought Demolisher, Megatron, and Starscream were all finely detailed war machines. I still like Demolisher, but I now find these toys to be overly cutesy and not nearly posable enough. On the other hand, it gave us a fantastic Unicron, the likes of which we'll probably never see again.

Energon - much like BM, this line featured horrible good guys and awesome bad guys. Practically NONE of the deluxe and voyager Autobots in this line look good (in my opinion), and it's all because of that silly powerlinking gimmick (which also doesnt look good). There were a few decent ones, like Cliffjumper and Towline, but the rest were just eyesores. On the plus side, the Scouts and Ultras were MUCH better (in fact, the Autobot Scouts were better than the Decepticon ones). The Decepticons, though, just plain ruled. Galvatron, Shockblast, Mirage, Sharkticon, all awesome.

Cybertron - A fun line due to the massive variety. The idea of making Transformers from different planets gave the designers a lot of room to get creative. If you liked Beast Wars, this line had something for you. If you liked Energon, Armada, and 86 G1, this line had a lot for you. If you liked realistic vehicles, it STILL had something for you (Downshift, among others). Plus, almost all of the toys were adequately posable. Hard to find anything to dislike in this line.

Movie - the figures (aside from some) are LOADED with detail, making their robot modes really stand out. Their transformations, for the most part, are very involved and feature some outstanding engineering.

Classics and Alternators - are awesome. Period.

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    machine wars?

18. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    MW was cool, but there wasnt much to it. Some 'european' end-of-the-line G1 toys given less zany color schemes. So if you wanted more G1, MW would've been the place to get it (instead, it sold miserably). And some unreleased G2 figures (which we now have in abundance thanks to repaints) that are roughly the same as the Cyberjets. Given the mix of G1 repaints and tiny new molds, it was little more than an extension of G2, with all the things that made G2 good, and even more of the negligence that G2 got from the fanbase.