Fighting Yellowing!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MechanovaKing, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "I'm going to mess with my MP starscream I love that figure. And he's just been chilling on my dress for half a year....GASP! YELLOWING"

He's has not been in sun light at all. And it's only been half a year and he is just as bad as my 20 year old skyfire.

Is there anything out there to help get ride of yellowing?

(these are the only pictures I have that show it. It just wouldn't show up in most of the picture I took. But trust me, It's worst than it looks.)

Attached Files:

2. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Heat and good ol O2 can do this too. I heard too much light can do the same so I better start packing my figures cuz I just installed bright, white lights into the room. So far the only things I've heard about whitening a figure is using Hydrogen Peroxide or applying the right paint for restoration. I heard that you could use HP tooth paste and brush on the yellowed parts as well.

3. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    Won't that kill the paint?

4. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, that sucks; he's also my favorite figure. I'll have to check mine tonight when I get home

5. terry981

From what I heard, the paint doesn't get screwed. I only tried bleaching a 93 MMPR blue ranger figure where most of his white yellowed and most of his blue was very dark blue. I think it also depends on the quality of the plastic. Because after I bleached some parts, the yellow (very severe) came out out light yellow and I stopped because some of the blue, indeed, did turn very light on his boots (that diamond shape part). His arm and stuff came out alright though there was some mold damage, not sure if this is from me mishandling it or the hp. I stopped there since the results didn't seem that good to me.

I've heard so far that many people were able to restore their TF figures using HP. Not so sure on the MPs. I was talking to another person on these boards and he told me that HP doesn't affect paint. But what I also heard is that each time you use HP, it makes the plastic brittle, so it doesn't matter whether you are using toothpaste, hp or not, it will weaken it as you do it years down the line.

As for heat, you can bet this will be a factor and Oxygen supposedly is responsible for making yellow SNES. I have one too. The thing is that if you want to bleach the parts, you remove the parts you want to bleach and not stuff the whole thing in at once. Look at video tutorials on Youtube or find them on websites. There is are alot. From what I've seen so far, most people had, indeed, restored old vintage TFs. Ratchet and Fort Max is probably the most popular restorations. But remember and research MP and talk with others. I just told you about old TF's and other old toys. Not sure how good the quality or how well it works with MPs. I can tell you that it didn't seem to work that well with MMPR or maybe it was just too severe to be restored. Good luck.

6. MechanovaKing

News Credits:
    HP?

7. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits:
    Hydrogen Peroxide.

8. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Hydrogen Peroxide works a lot better (i.e. safer) on the '80's - 90's plastics than it does on modern plastics, which are made with different (cheaper) formula's and ratio's.

I'd be very wary of damage caused to plastic and paint by (stronger solutions of) HP on Masterpieces and other more recently released figures.

9. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    indirect sunlight can do it light reflecting one wall on to your tfs and avoid energy saver light bulbs in the room there in as they have the same effect

a darker colour wall paper or paint job will asorb sunlight instead of reflecting it onto your tfs

10. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude that sucks. Guess it's time to get your pre-order in for MP11.
    FWIW, I know that certain formulations of plastic will just go yellow through exposure to oxygen. Anybody that has an old C64 will be familiar with this.

11. terry981

Or find someone that could that knows how to paint these figures. But that's up to you. Gosh that would suck if my classic/henkei figures start to yellow.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    can you guys direct me to a thread with a tested/safe set of instructions on how to apply peroxide? I've got a vintage storm shadow that's the color of maple syrup that desperately needs to be restored.

13. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    This is the original (and longest) thread on TFW2005 on the subject of the treatment of yellowing, and it includes instructions and tips on the use of hydrogen peroxide.

It also includes turboed's experiences about the treated parts turning yellow again after a certain time has passed, though...

14. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I have a G1 Jetfire that is yellowed.

I don't want to take it apart though. Has anyone found a way to treat it while protecting the metal bits? Maybe a paste method and wash?

Thanks!

15. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Or a SuperNES. Still have no idea how that yellowed sitting in a drawer. I also have a Super GoBot SpayC that sat at the back of a shelf, in the dark behind several other figures, and ONE SIDE turned yellow.

16. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Now about lights in a case, would I be better with a normal bulb, though it runs hot or would I be better with a LED type bulb that would be cooler yet brighter? I ask because the case I have right now has the bulb in the middle at the top and it sits maybe 6-8 inches above the top row of figures and it will activate their shield stickers if I leave it on a while, so I know it gets hot.

Just want to be proactive on the yellowing front.

17. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    I would imagine that LED would have the least amount of damage caused from Light. But that's just my instinct, and I'm not about to get all mythbuster on my white figures