FF7 should be on X360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by strscrm, Sep 25, 2007.

1. strscrm

strscrm GAME BOY ETERNITY

Several years ago Sony was showing videos that demonstrated the PS3's power. One video just blew everyone away.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cv8cYrGG220

Final Fantasy 7 technical demo for PS3 was simply stunning. Fans were excited believing that the game was going to be made for the PS3. For a time, I was going to get a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing that one game, then the truth reared its ugly head. Square-Enix said that if they made it for the PS3, it would take 5 years to make. Ouch.

Well time has passed and the PS3 is not doing so well. The Xbox 360 is doing exceptionally well. At the time that the tech demo was done, the original Xbox was bleeding money left and right, and the upcoming 360 was going to be released since so much had been poured into R&D. Microsoft's expectations were that the 360 would make some money before being squashed by the competition, which would force Microsoft to leave the video game industry that it had just entered. There was no way that Square-Enix would commit a project of such magnitude to a sinking ship. But, now the Xbox 360 would be the perfect platform for a remake of Final Fantasy 7.

Since it takes developers considerably less time to develop games for the 360 than it takes for the PS3, Final Fantasy 7(X360) could be a real possibility in the near future.
    [​IMG]

Download Tech Demo from IGN:
    http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/748/748460/vids_1.html

2. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Except SE has kind of put their next gen backing (FF13 series) behind the PS3. They'd be silly to go with the 360 for a remake and the new games on PS3.

3. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

(we're going to need some firetrucks for this thread)

You forgot the part where Japan hates the Xbox brand.

And no. I want this as a PS3 exclusive. I want my shiny bluray/Lair player to do something else. I also want a nice selection of good 3rd party console-exclusive games. The 360 has its fair share. The PS3 should too.

Also, following your logic, the only acceptable current-gen platform to make FFVII on is the Wii. Its winning the console wars, and development would be low cost and quick.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Except the time spent making the game for 360 would mainly be taken up by artists creating all the levels and backgrounds in 3D and high definition (ie, high def texture maps etc) that populate the game.

It would still take 5 years to do, cuz its such a big game.

5. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    FF7 needs to rest in piece with the corner of gaming history that it's earned. It doesn't need sequels, it doesn't need remakes, and they need to stop with the spin-off crap. As good as FF7 was, it certainly wasn't the best ff game, it was just the first one with 3d graphics. It's overrated, and I'd rather see square-enix work on NEW material than re-hash the old stuff over and over.

Oh, and the xbox market in Japan sucks.

And the reason things take longer to develop on the ps3 is because of the processor, but game developers are going to have to learn how to program multi threaded apps for the future anyway. Plus as time goes on, and game engines get tweaked, it'll take less development time to make a ps3 game.

6. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i'd buy it.

7. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To be honest, I couldn't care which platform it comes out for, just so long as it comes out for one of them and it looks like that tech demo for the ps3 did.

I think all this exclusivity crap tends to really hold back the gaming industry, since it builds each console on their exclusive titles rather than their capabilities in general.

While I don't think that ever game should be ported to multiple systems, as we saw how well that worked out in the snes/genesis and psx/saturn/n64 wars, I think that restricting a certain game or series to a single console ends up hurting both the game itself and the market in general. Developers might end up working on an awsome game that ends up getting signed exclusively to a console that they really suck at working with, and because of that the game that started out looking great in early development ends up a choppy mess of a game.

Overall, if a game can be made to it's full potential on a specific system, then it should be made for whichever system can be put to the greatest use to make that game as good as it can be, no matter what the politics of the game industry would want at the time

8. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Zelda should be on the PS3, halo should be on the Wii, etc etc.

9. Tigran

Tigran Well-Known Member

FF7 needs to stay buried in the trash.

The only game that looks interesting is Crises core, simply cause it doesn't deal with the FF7 cast.

Cloud was just bipolor, "I don't care about anything!" to "Lets save the world!" back to "I don't care about anything!"

Barret was a Mr T knockoff with a gun on his arm cursing ever other word.

Tifa couldn't decide if she wanted to be a damsel in distress, or a "I'm a female.. hear me roar."

Aries... Well she was just a non chracter all around.

Cid was okay.. So was Yuffy.

Vincent... again another non character in all honestly.

Red was okay... but nothing special about him to make him memoriable except for being a monster.

Seph was just a gender confused prettyboy with a mother complex that broke down when he relized he didn't have a birthday.

I honestly think that like Halo, FF7 has got -way- more hype then it ever deserved.

10. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

probably, but you can still remember the names of the characters, must mean something ;) 

11. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

Why won't this game die? I hated this game when it first came out and rehashing it is not going to change that opinion. Square-Enix is really beating a dead horse with all these remakes and sequals that are becoming more and more about watching CGI movies then about actually playing a game.

The only time I actually showed any joy playing FF7 was when I appeared that Cloud died (I hated him that much).

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Well, that doesn't hold up at all since Square makes Final Fantasy, not Sony. And the other characters to you listed were created by first party developers. So yeah.

But I'd totally buy this for the 360, hell, I hope FF13 makes it to the 360.

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I am sick of hearing about FF7.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because not everyone else hates it. Regardless though, I'm a fan, and I'm happy with Crisis Core. I don't need to replay 7. Move forward. I'm not even really looking forward to 13. There is that Lost Remnant game for the 360 that I really want though.

But as far as who should get 7/13. I really think that Square should spread the love. They are making some very nice exclusives for 360, and should spread some of that to Sony as well. Not only did Sony bail them out of an incredible financial situation in the past, but they have had a standing relationship with them, and to abandon them completely based on system sales that they themselves could help boost (look what Crisis Core did for the PSP) would be...well, lame

15. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    These "ditch the PS3 for this exclusive and bring it to 360" threads slay me. While the 360 may be in full swing we've pretty much seen what in can do, since it's pretty much a PC wrapped up as a console and developers already know howbest to use it. Yet PS3 has barely scratched the surface according to developers.

16. beatrush

beatrush Collects too many things

Ebay:
    While FF7 is a fine game and I admit I play it through once a year, I am perfectly content with it being on PSX. The game doesn't need to be remade.

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Final Fantasy VII wasn't released by Squaresoft. It was released by Sony. They bought the rights, they did the translation, the game is theirs.

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Or rather the other consoles should get the Wiimote or something better.

19. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    O YA maybe sony can copy it like take a regular controller not like some gay little stick.

20. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You're thinking of the original Xbox. The 360 does not use an IA32-based CPU architecture like the original did, instead opting for IBM's Power PC architecture, which Apple formerly used in Macintosh computers, and which runs the GameCube and the Wii. The PS3's Cell processor is also based on the PPC architecture. It's basically a PPC chip with a ridiculous number of cores in it.