FF Play Arts questions

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by chaosbringer_00, Feb 27, 2009.

1. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

As a huge Final Fantasy fan, I want to get some Play Arts figures. Unfortunately, reviews and opinions on them seem to be scarce, so I thought I'd ask here.

I already have Advent Children Sephiroth, who's great. I also have a couple of Sora's Forms, except both of them broke. The first I put too much pressure on, but the second fell apart in my hands for no apparent reason. So, naturally, I'm a little bit wary of getting more Play Arts stuff.

I've heard that there are issues with the Advent Children figures, And I want to know what that's about. I'm interested in Cloud and Vincent, and want to know if there's anything I should look out for on Sephiroth.

Besides the Advent Children stuff, I'm also interested in Tidus, Squall, and some of the FFXII figures. Anything that I should consider before trying to get any?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. MisterE

MisterE What?

I personally wouldn't recommend AC Cloud. He looks kinda ugly, his articulation isn't overly great, the skin-toned plastic looks really off in some places and the half-cape thing just looks bad made out of rubber. Oh, and he can't stand up on his own 90% of the time.

If you can, get the FFVII figures as opposed to the AC ones. The FFVII line is really, really great, the QC appears to be far better than in previous lines. They still suffer from not standing up very well sometimes (apart from Red XIII), but the great sculpts and paint surpass that. Besides, all the characters come with stands anyway.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Squall is one of the better ones, with a great range of poseability, and all the important joints required to create said poses, with perhaps the exception of double-jointed knees.

I like AC Cloud alright, although he's kinda short, scale-wise (he's barely taller than Tifa). I personally haven't had any problems with him, although your mileage may vary on that. But I had to have that bike.

Game Cloud is where it's at though, with slightly better articulation range than even Squall (although his torso joint is a tad more limited), and some impressive engineering in the knee joints. Much better grip on his Buster Sword, too.

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have quite a few and find them all easily worth the $20-25 you can usually get them for. Even the lesser articulated ones have such good design, likeness, and paint applications that it's a wonder they're so inexpensive, particularly when standing them next to a similarly priced transformer.

Anyways, I say if you like a character, feel free to buy him and you won't be disapointed. If you just want the best of them in terms of quality construction, I like Squall, Gabranth, and FF7 Cloud.

5. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

This sounds interesting enough for me to get into........ So can anyone post pictures of theirs? I think I could get into them if someone posted some pictures.

6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  7. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Thanks! Boy, they look fun to play with..... But they also look incredibly expensive at the same time.

EDIT: Wow, after checking BBTS, I found out that they're not so expensive after all. But that doesn't mean that shipping will be cheap.

8. chaosbringer_00

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm not really into the FFVII figures, and I just like AC Cloud better. The only thing that would stop me from getting him is that I've heard he's prone to breaking. Thoughts?

And I'm glad to hear Squall is really good, he's definitely at the top of my list.

So, has anyone else had problems with Sora breaking? His limbs are so skinny, I imagine that it can't just be me who's had their's break. Or maybe I'm just unlucky :cry  It's a shame, since Sora is argueably my favorite FF character.

Can anyone post some pictures? Squall, AC Cloud, AC Vincent, and Tidus would be great, but any would do. It's just so hard to find anything but stock photos on the web.

Finally, does anyone know of a good place to get these? The Square Enix store seems to have them reasonably priced, though Squall is out of stock.

Sorry to go on and on, but I really want to know more about this line.

9. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Well, technically Sora never appeared in the FF series himself, but he is owned by both Disney and Square Enix.

10. chaosbringer_00

Okay, Sora's my favorite Square-Enix character. Happy now? :p 

11. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

Yes. : D

12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Where did he break. If it was the knee joints, don't be surprised. Like I said in the other thread, the "softer" plastic of the pants drapes past the knee joint, and trying to pend the knee too far against it does run the risk of breaking the pin in the joint, since it's made of plastic as well.

I have numerous AC figures (Cloud, Reno, Yuffie, Sephiroth) And so far, i haven't had any problems with any of them in any regard. Cloud can be a bit rough on standing up and posing, but that's why they come with the stands. The others have no problem on balance. Squall does, but only because he has a loose joint in his foot, and I may/may not have used him to make a custom character, so it's also probable I loosened it while working on him.

Sora aside, however, I also have Axel, Kairi, and the new KH1 wave (Mickey, Sora, Riku) and none of them have had any issues (with the exception of Axel, as noted in the other thread). The KH1 Sora has also rectified the knee joint problem but allowing the fabric behind the figures knee to be included with the joint, so it has full range as opposed to being blocked off.

13. chaosbringer_00

Ah, thank you very much. So, Sora breaking was all my fault :redface2: 

I'm glad to hear that the others are okay. Unfortunately, I threw away my stand for Sephiroth, because 1.) the little rubbery knobs at the end fell off, and 2.) because I couldn't figure out how to work the damn thing.

Looks like I'm gonna go after AC Cloud and Squall. Thanks for all the help guys. I'd like it if someone could contribute some photos, but as it is, I appreciate the help.

14. chaosbringer_00

Bump.

I'd really like to see some photos...

15. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

Photos of which?

16. chaosbringer_00

Any, really, but AC Cloud, AC Vincent, Squall, and Tidus would be best (especially Cloud), seeing as those are the ones I'm most interested in. I hate to nag, but I've had such a hard time digging up anything other than stock photos, and it's helpful to see the toys from different angles or different poses.

Thanks for listening.

17. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
  18. chaosbringer_00

Thank you sooooo much! Those are perfect! I'm completely sold on Cloud now, and even more so on Squall. I repeat, thanks a lot!!!

EDIT: Now I'm not so sure...I've just read a couple of reviews saying Clouds legs are fragile...and after what happened to my Soras, I'm reluctant to risk another one breaking. Spartan Prime said he's had no problems with his, which is reassuring, but has anyone had a bad experience with AC Cloud?

19. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I had no problems there either. But I did have a problem with his hand (Sleeveless arm) that got loose after a while.

20. chaosbringer_00

Looseness I can deal with, since just about any pose with his word requires two hands, therefore adding the support of the other arm. ...I think.

I suppose that if some of the weight is held by the stand, then there shouldn't be any problems with him collapsing or anything.

I'd like a few more votes of confidence, though, if for no other reason than to convince my dad to get it for my birthday :redface2:  He's already said he's not gonna get something that's going to break, because I get too upset. He has a point...but it's not like I throw a tantrum or anything. I just go cry in a corner for a few days :p