Fewture Mazinger...anyone got him?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by LigerPrime, Dec 17, 2007.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Neat piece. Mazinger doesn't have a sword :sly2: .

3. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    I know dude but me thinks its a nice addition! I'm interested in the die-cast/metal content and wondering if its too top heavy? Its selling for around USD$170-200 in my country! YIKES!!!

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The folks over at ToyBoxDX who have it seem to really like it. I'd LOVE to get this piece but the price is too much for me. I'm sure it's worth it, but I just can't pay that much right now. And I'm sure by the time I'm able to fork over that much cash the price will be even higher since the value of these nice Fewture toys seems to always go up.

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I HOPE mine arrives today. All I know from the tracking info is that on the 13th it entered the country...

And as for 170-200... dude. Considering the price some of us have to pay to import it, that's pretty cheap by comparison ;) 

6. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But he looks really cool with one. My Shogun warriors Great Mazinger had two red swords with it. That was an awesome piece of 2' plastic.

7. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    GREAT MAZINGER had a sword. Mazinger didnt. :thumbs2: 

8. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    *saw the word 'Fewture', refuse to click*

I saw the images actually, it's like a mix of SIC and SOC, just that reading the word "Fewture" will make me cringe at the insane price tag.

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Which is why you buy both Fewture Mazinger and Great Mazinger and combine their machetes into a bigger sword ;) 

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q101/borg001/hj070961.jpg

Not that I'll do that though. One Fewture Mazinger is sufficiently rich for my blood.

Postman came by already... no package. :( 

It might arrive tomorrow, probably at the same time as my Ideon. Gokin heaven.

10. Roanstalker

News Credits:
  11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    And a money spinning gimmick! Blast! I'm so tempted to get those 2!!! But the price is so expensive!!! ARRRGHHH!!!

12. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I know, right?

Fewture knows how to grab you by the short and curlies...

Seriously. My Maz needs to arrive tomorrow. I want to get it and Ideon and just rub their boxes on myself.

Uh... I mean...:drunk 

13. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting for my Xi Gundam Fix Figuration figure to arrive. Bought it two weeks back.

14. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Another day and another disappointment from the post office... if my package has been eaten by customs I will be ... SO very unamused...

15. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Same with my Xi...

16. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Josh at collectiondx has a review up for the Fewture Mazinger... seeing hte video of all the ratchet joints just makes the fact that I don't have mine yet all the more painful...

17. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Well, it's official.

I'm an idiot.

My Mazinger Z has, in fact, been waiting for me at the post office for the last four days because they tried to deliver it to me whiel I was at work on monday (my billing address, which I very clearly told the shop NOT to deliver to ... sigh...) and I missed the little scrap of paper on the bottom of my mailbox that said they were holding it.

Anyhoo! Mazinger!

... I have to say, I was worried about this purchase... with the loss of Sato, I felt that the Mazinger and Great Maz figures wouldn't have that same toylike spark, that same creativity that made the Getters so inspiring.

I'm quite sad to say that I think I was right :( 

Mazinger Z is ... well. He's gorgeous. That's undeniable. The reds are metallic, almost pearlescent, and glimmer with a sheen that just has to be seen. The Black is deep, velvet gloss that just makes it look fancy. The blue is also nice and dark, though it lacks that tinge of purple from the early promotional shots that I loved.

Mazinger Z is also kind of a bizarre inverse of Bandai's SoC Spec line. A plastic skeleton with bits of metal armor pegged on. While the Getters were solid feeling and weighty, even with their largely plastic torsos and ribcages, Mazinger feels .... light, almost, by comparison. Hollow. Like he's all flash and no substance.

The joints are deliciously ratchety, it's true. His hips could almost be a little stronger, but he's definitely no slouch in the ability to hold poses, impressive due to the metal content (which, again, could be better, but I digress...), although there are a few oddities and bits of looseness that are non-critical but still irksome, specifically my Mazinger's left foot (it spins quite freely, unlike the right foot that has a nice and stiff rotator cuff), and his right shoulder pad (which flips and flops as I move him about).

One thing that I give a big thumbs up to on Mazinger is his ratcheted mid-torso joint, which allows him to pivot his upper body forward and backwards. The getters had this as well, but they were simple ball joints, which due to their weight meant a lot of flopping and awkwardly picking them up by the crotch to avoid potentially fatal part stress.

Overall, I'd have to saw that Fewture Mazinger is a gorgeous piece, and definately awesome on his own merits... but it lacks the certain spark of creativity and ingenuity that really made the Getters awesome. It feels like its missing something. In this case, it is; the loving touch of its original designer. Sato's designs live on, but it looks like his skills and artistic touch are lost ...

In the end, Fewture's Mazinger Z will hold a very special place on my shelf, but his brother Great Mazinger shan't be joining him.

Pics may follow after christmas ... got a date tomorrow and then leaving for family doingses on saturday.

18. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Whoa! Thanks for posting pictures and the review! He looks extremely good and I'm stuck between him and the up coming Enterbay's "Enter the Dragon" Bruce Lee! LOL!

20. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Smile!
    [​IMG]

Pilder
    [​IMG]