Ferrari bot has a Italian accent?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Cliff_prime, Feb 4, 2011.

1. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    ^do we want all the autobots to talk like steven hawking? If there is one perfect way to speak, then all the autobots should sound exactly the same.

2. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly don't see how Ferrari getting to make the final decision on how thick the accent will be, is any a bit reassuring it'll be a good accent. I'm pretty sure, this accent, no matter how perfect they think it'll be, will just sound rubbish and out of place when it comes to the final product.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Alright, list of arguments to explain how they have accents and how it makes perfect sense:

1 - Maybe it's how they sound in Cybertronian [like a different accent from the Cybetronian language].

2 - They learn their language through internet, thus, They may have learn from someone with an accent.

3 - They may have learned another language first [like, let's say, Russian] and learn to speak that language more easily [and quite well], then they had to switch to english [as they are in the US now], but as they have more experience with that language, they don't have much experience with english [thus, Russian accent].

4 - They don't care.

5 - They think accents are cool [Skids and Mudflap].

6 - They don't know how to speak english "properly" so they slip on the words [Jetfire].

7 - All of the above combined.

Here, seven reasons for their accents.

4. BAMC18

BAMC18 Well-Known Member

Maybe Michael Bay liked Jersey Shore a lot and decided to give one of the robots an Italian accent

5. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Well it was said that Ferrari needs to give their approval, so I'd imagine this character will be a legitimate representation of an Italian Robot.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I hope the Ferrari is a transformer version of Mario and voiced by Charles Martinent.

I'm game. Bay would officially earn my respect.

7. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, this is why the people have no ground to stand on when they say it's a stereotype. They are letting the people who naturally speak the accent tell them how to do it. By those peoples' definition, then the actual Italians who also speak English are "stereotypes" even if they're the real thing.

8. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Who says they need to speak like Steven Hawking? Just like each Transformer has a unique personality each one has a unique voice. They would talk the same but still sound different.

Yeah there are seven reasons but they are necessarily good reasons.

1 - All the TFs sound pretty much the same when they speak Cybertronian.

2 - That assumes that they spent all day looking at youtube or some other video site. They could have been on dictionary.com learning vocabulary and listening to the pronunciation guides or finding a way to grammar rules, but assuming they did watch videos they would watch videos from the local area. So a Ferrari would watch the equivalent of Italian TV where, surprise, they speak Italian. Moving to the US, they'd watch youtube, where I'd assume a lot of the videos are by people that speak English primarily without accents. Granted if they went to England, yeah they'd probably pick up a British accent because that's how they speak.

3 - That's a very human-centric way of looking at it. That's how it works with humans but there's no legitimate reason why it would work that way with robots. See my response on #2 for why I don't think it would work that way.

4 - I'm beginning to not care....

9. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Like people have been saying, as long as it's not too stereotypical, I don't have a problem. The main thing that worries me is the possibility of the Wreckers sounding like rednecks. I guess I wouldn't mind ONE "Get 'er dooooone!" though. XD

10. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

It's an Italian car, so why not? But like someone said, as long as he isn't so stereotypical, he's one of the Super Mario Bros. Then again, he's a robot, and pasta jokes would make no sense.

Besides, a charm that Transformers has had since Day 1 is the wide range of voice talents with different accents, especially with Beast Wars and Animated. It really adds some character to the robots which makes them, for lack of a better term, more organic.

11. Overlord Balder

1 -We've only seen Frenzy and Blackout speak Cybertronian "properly", and they sounded nothing like each other [Frenzy sounded like he was trying to say "kumbaya mambasa" without his front teeth and Blackout sounded like he was screaming with his mouth closed].

2 - Don't you think it would be MUCH easier [for them] to learn through youtube or something like that? That way they could assimilate the language faster [and time was something they lacked when they came to earth].

Also, you missed my point: Ferrari comes to earth, learns all the languages on earth [Optimus said "We've learn all the languages on earth through the internet" NOT "We've learn english", soo..], but focus on Italian because he is living there, When he comes to the US he has difficulty speaking english properly.

In other words: All Transformers already learned all languages on earth, but may have gained their accents via focusing in only one language then switching to english.

3 - Problem is: You assume IT DOESN'T work like that with them, how can we know for sure?

And even if all those options are ruled out, options 4, 5, 6, and 7 still can be used.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    How the hell does that make sense? Also I haven't seen a single accent that's distasteful in ROTF or the original movies. They just have accents for the sake of diversity. Transformers Cybertron was more distasteful with it's accents.

It's already established that the TF's learn English and pick their accents from the internet. Maybe he scanned a Ferrari, Googled it, found out it was from Italy, and thought it would be fitting to have an accent?

The fact that long standing TF concepts that people spontaneously take issue with only now that they're applied to the movies astounds me.

13. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    +1000 /thread

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

The wall of text explanation is further reason that it's a dumb and lazy device to add 'character'.

What?

When did that happen? Was this really needed? Can the twins ever be discussed rationally?

Pro-tip: the answer to the last one is no.

15. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think it'll be a suave and sort of subtle accent, like sideswipe in a way imo, sideswipe has an american accent but it's gruff, ferrari i think will have a suave and subtle accent i think. All the tfs so far have had decent accents, except for bees and jetfires, really takes away when you hear a british accent it's kind of like you're waiting for him to burst out calling someone a f*cking mug or somethin.

16. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Jetfire was awful. Was he actually supposed to sound British?

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Threads never get closed because of a mod's opinion. They get closed because discussion has been ditched in favour of flaming.

The guy who voiced him was actually british, though, IIRC. Mark Ryan. Or English. (being of English decent, I find myself offensive for not being able to tell the difference)

Though I think he may have "awfuled" it up to make Jetfire sound more unhinged and unpleasant.

18. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah man he was meant to be an imatation of ray winstone, mark ryan, voice of bee and jetfire revealed that. He's pretty dissapointing and I hope he doesn't voice anymore tfs cause he's a pompous fool. Jetfire was originally envisioned as a southern preacher an turturro offered to voice which would've been very interesting imo. British tfs don't sound right imo, they sound awful.

19. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I lol at how he boasts voicing the main character of Bumblebee, even though BB spoke once at the very end of the first movie and never again.

20. Overlord Balder

Jetfire was awesome, but no one knows for sure how he was supposed to sound like.

I've heard people say British, Scottish, Irish, Australian, Austrian, and Yorkshiree.

Keep in mind that most of this accents sounds nothing like each other [that's why I say he simply does not know how to say english properly].