Feral Rex Questions

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Zappit, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

First' I'd just like to state I attempted to search for the original FR thread, but the only thing that kept coming up was...pretty much everything else, so please forgive a guy for posting a thread just for this. I tried.

I've been looking at MMC's Feral Rex as my next potential big buy, but I have a few questions about these figures.

First, there were only five Predacons, so what's the deal with Felisaber? Is he required to assemble the combiner, a variant of another character, or some one-appearance character getting some plastic representation?

How is the combiner overall? Is it weak at the waist, or is it a sturdy figure when assembled?

How are the individual figures themselves? Any issues with loose joints or brittle parts?

How's the plastic quality? I've got the MMC Megatron on preorder, but I've never owned one of their figures before.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this, and I'd appreciate any advice you all might have.

2. Insectabot

Insectabot Well-Known Member

He's great, but mine suffers from the usual combiner weaknesses. Knees, stability. You don't need felisaber.

Plastic quality is pretty high. Not a lot of
    Paint though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

What is Felisaber used for? Another limb, or does it add more to the overall combiner body?

4. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

• Like Like x 2
  5. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon

Just an alternative arm for Feral Rex

6. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    Expanding: Normally, Talon/Divebomb splits in half, with the wings moving to the back to become the combiner wings, and the rest becoming the arm. However, if you use Felisaber as an arm, then ALL of Talon/Divebomb moves to the back, to become a bigger wing-pack. (This will not increase the wingspan).

Also, Felisaber is a 3P version of Catilla, a lesser-known G1 pretender that turned into a saber-toothed cat.

Felisaber's gun can also combine with the others, making the combined gun a bit larger in mass.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Zoingo

Zoingo Newby customizer

I've got all six, and I'm thrilled with the purchase.
    Felisaber is not required, though when combined with the others, he helps distribute more yellow across the figure, helping balance the color distribution. Also, when in Rex is combined with Felisaber, Talon can be attached to the back with little effect on the combined forms stability. You also get some extra bits, like arm fillers for the individual figures as well as extra weapons, some foam pads for the combiner feet that make it less likely for the them to slide out from under itself (though they aren't really needed), a definitive conclusion to the comic that comes with these guys, and a cute little penguin figure in his chest.
    The combined mode is extremely stable, capable of holding just about any pose you want, even without the pads from Felisaber. The hips, knees, elbows and waist are all very solid, though not to the point of being to difficult to move.
    The individual figures are great. The only wear the tear they may have is the same as that of any other played with toy. By now, all issues that the first run of the figures had have been fixed(The elbows on Bovis and Fortis wearing down, the stress marks appearing on Fortis's hips ect., all gone) resulting in extremely sturdy figures. My Bovis has a slightly tight shoulder, but it has no impact on anything of concern, and I'm sure is a individual case.
    And while I'm no expert on plastics, I'd be willing to say that these guys are made of a better material than what Hasbro uses.

I highly recommend you get at least the main team. It's a great set that makes an awesome display piece, and can easily be played with. The only warning I can think to give is that your fingers maybe sore after handling this team, and the batteries for the LEDs in the head can be a bit difficult to find in stores.

8. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker TFW2005 Supporter

Have you considered looking at Nero Rex? The complete box set also comes with King's claws or whatever they're called, my set had it. I'm not sure what the current pricing is, but around the holidays N.Rex was going for cheaper than Feral.

The downside is that there's no official
    N.Rex repaint of Felisaber, I think there's KO out in the market and you can always try doing your own custom repaint with the regular version.

On my N.Rex, there's no stress marks or broken bits after extensive posing and fiddling since last summer when I got mine. The plastic quality is superb and passing my feel test of whether something will break upon five seconds of touching it with flying colors gave me quite a lot of confidence. The top heavy weight of Rex combined makes him have a bit of a weaker knees issue though.

9. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa WHOA. WHAT!?

I've had Feral Rex for YEARS and didn't know this. HOW do I add Felisaber's gun to the big gun!?

10. Zoingo

Zoingo Newby customizer

You can plug it into the underside of the central barrel! You simply plug the handle of Felisaber's gun into the hollow section.

11. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Individually they are nice.

However He is probably my least favorite combiner in my collection.

Try picking him up and ruh-roh Raggy, his diaper is coming apart.

Look out below! His legs dangle and fail around.

It looks like he is wearing bellbottoms.

He stands in a wide A-stance.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    what did you do to yours or did you just get a bad copy? plenty of people have said he pass the shake test which mine does also, i agree about the bell bottoms but you can put all the legs in the back of the legs and it limits the bell bottom look also the hips are wide enough that you don't have to do a wide a stance, mine stands straight up, matter of fact the only combiner i own that can't stand straight up is FP Ryu-oh even TW Extinction stands pretty much straight up and down

My Nero Rex will def battle Poseidon for the best combiner and i'm not sure how i will feel in the end though a King Poseidon repaint would def put Poseidon over the edge since i favor uniformity

• Like Like x 2
  13. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

Bought FR bot by bot as the team was released. I think he works best as a CHUG/Combiner Wars/Unite Warriors Predaking. He's bigger and bulkier than the CW combiners, which fits in with the G1 toy idea that Predaking should be 5 large guys instead of a 1 big+ 4 small combo. I'm pleased with how he blends in next to upgraded CW combiners (btw I use TFC's Hercules as a Devastator for my Combiner Wars display instead of the official CW Devastator).

The team is also impressive in individual bot mode, with Razorclaw and Divebomb being my favourites. Tantrum and Headstrong are kinda same-y since they're retools of each other and I wish they had been discrete moulds, but what can you do. Alt mode is where the team probably falls down, with somewhat lame animal forms (except Divebomb). The G1-style weapons that come in the Professor Heisenberg Royal Arsenal set are neat, but a little oversized for my liking. If you have a G1 Predaking, the swords and blasters can be distributed to the team for an even more G1 look.

The combined mode is a little on the bulky side, which means you have to fiddle a bit to get the balance right for intended poses, but I never found it to be so unstable as to be a pain or cause me to give up in frustration. Adding non-slip bumpers to the undersides of his feel mortars would probably help keep him more stable in cool stances.

I personally don't care for Felisaber since he was never part of the G1 Predacons, and I can't bothered to buy a Rampage retool.

You could do far worse for a 3P combiner, than Feral Rex. Go for it, dude.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Oshboggy

Oshboggy DeceptiCobra DeathAdderCon

When he was in combined mode, my FR was pretty much always in dynamic poses where the bell-bottoms didn't matter so much.

I did remove the calf packs from Headstrong though, to differentiate him from Tantrum in bot mode and reduce one side of the bell-bottoms. I like the asymmetry too. Of course, the sacrifice is his rhino mode, but that mode sucks and the mod is reversible anyway :p 

15. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

Mine doesn't fall over.

And there have been plenty of mention of the diaper and its looseness and whatnot in the official tread for Rex.

However, you pick him up (and again, carefully trying to not knock his diaper off) by the waist/lower stomach, and his legs will just dangle. Though to be honest, it was case for a lot of the first lots of combiners.

16. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    maybe bcuz i have Nero but nothing has ever been loose when i've picked him up or shaked anymore than supposed to now Herc shook scarily but stayed together and i was to concerned to shake YG or Ordin and i try not to even pick up TW Dinocombiner i already know that thing is a mess but it looks really good

• Like Like x 1
  17. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    First, there were only five Predacons, so what's the deal with Felisaber? Is he required to assemble the combiner, a variant of another character, or some one-appearance character getting some plastic representation?
    He's there so you can put divebomb on the back and have a cat arm. personally i think this makes him too heavy though.

How is the combiner overall? Is it weak at the waist, or is it a sturdy figure when assembled?

it's more solid than some CW combiners and doesnt tilt. he stands and poses well but the ratchet in the leg cons might need to be tightened.

How are the individual figures themselves? Any issues with loose joints or brittle parts?

Not a single issue for any of mine

How's the plastic quality? I've got the MMC Megatron on preorder, but I've never owned one of their figures before.

mmc's quality makes hasbro look like KO

• Like Like x 1
  18. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

I love my Rex in both combined mode and individually. The diaper is easy to knock loose if you aren't careful. Have not had any stability problems and have left him on the shelf in various poses for months with no issue. Easily the single-most high-quality feeling 3p figures I own.

My ONLY complaint is now that I have CW Devy and OSKO Warby, I wish Rex was bigger. There's an OS KO but the quality on it is pitiful.

19. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    His belt/crotch flaps/privacy curtain does come off if you mess around with him. The only thing I can think of that is wrong with mine is that he's too heavy to use the different height settings. I don't think that's common though.

Felisaber is pretty damn cheap (NIB), or was the last time I looked around. He is pretty cool looking and comes with the MMC penguin. I don't care for divebomb as an arm, but adding the rest of his body to the back is impossible for me (again, too heavy for mine), but felisaber looks pretty damn cool. You can always have one or the other stand next to Predaking with Feral Queen :) 

20. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter TFW2005 Supporter

He's right you know...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3