Felt like there was more robot time?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Between the Autobots at their base, the moon landings, Laserbeak, the departure scene and all, it seems we saw the robots a lot more this movie. I mean like actually saw them in robot mode. Like I'm comparing in my head the scene where the Autobots arrive back at base and Optimus talks with Galloway compared to the similar scene in DOTM. In ROTF Optimus (and briefly the twins) are the only ones seen in robot mode. In thsi one, almost all of them are seen walking around in robot mode and doing stuff in the background. (like Q giving Ironhide new guns, them chatting amongst themselves) It just seems as though they spent less time as cars.

Just something I noticed. Hopefully when the Blu-ray comes out someone will actually calculate their screentime so I can see if I'm right or not.

2. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Totally agreed. Compared to the other movies, I think this one perfectly balanced out the screen time between robots and humans. That's how I feel at least.

3. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I completely agree and I'm happy it turned out that way.

4. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I agree, it felt like there was a LOT more bot screen time this round. Maybe there technically wasn't, but at least it felt better used this time anyway.

5. normtrooper

normtrooper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think yeah maybe overall there were more than the first 2, but I felt it wasn't well balanced and that the autobots especially were underused, thats my opinion at least from my first and only viewing

6. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    While I feel there was definitely more robot time...there was still too much human time, and there was still more human time over robot time.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I don't think it was dramatically more from the other movies, but it was definitely far more well used. Still felt like there was stuff missing though.

8. TfAnimatedfan

TfAnimatedfan Five. Dollar. Headband.

News Credits:
    It sure felt like there was more bot time, but someone will have to time it for us to know for sure. Though they certainly made all the bot time worth it.

9. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

Yeah, it definitely felt like the robots got more screen time.

btw, does anybody know exactly how much screen time the robots got in the first movie?

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought there was a lot more robot time too...not just overt stuff, but as Split said, "little stuff" like the 'bots staying in 'bot mode in the background during certain scenes, when they were in vehicle mode in RotF. I was glad to see it and hope, should the films continue, that it's the start of a trend.

As for 'bot vs human balance, it felt about even for me.

11. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I did feel that there was more robot screentime this time around. Maybe not a whole lot more, but when they were on screen, they made it worthwhile. A lot of robot-centric scenes seemed to balance better with the human scenes than the previous two films. They just felt more "THERE" than they have in the past.

I did actually calculate the screentime given to the robots in both movies. (Yeah, I know, that's really lame of me...). For as long as the character was on screen in robot mode or vehicle mode (or the majority of them was aka, half of their body or more, not just an elbow), or if the character happened to speak, I counted it. And this is the breakdown for the movies (give or take).

Transformers (2007)

1.) Optimus Prime - 12 min 34 sec
    2.) Bumblebee - 9 min 44 sec
    3.) Megatron - 5 min 25 sec
    4.) Ironhide - 4 min 35 sec
    5.) Frenzy - 4 min
    6.) Ratchet - 3 min 20 sec
    7.) Jazz - 2 min 50 sec
    8.) Blackout 2 min 25 sec
    9.) Barricade - 2 min 20 sec
    10.) Starscrean - 1 min 30 sec
    11.) Brawl - 1 min 20 sec
    12.) Scorponok - 1 min 15 sec
    13.) Bonecrusher - 1 min 10 sec

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

1.) Optimus Prime - 10 min 38 sec
    2.) Bumblebee - 6 min 46 sec
    3.) Megatron - 6 min 43 sec
    4.) Jetfire - 6 min 25 sec
    5.) The Twins - 6 min
    6.) The Fallen - 4 min 10 sec
    7.) Starscream - 3 min 26 sec
    8.) Wheelie - 3 min 20 sec
    9.) Devastator - 3 min
    10.) Ironhide - 2 min 20 sec
    11.) Sideswipe - 1 min 34 sec
    12.) Rampage - 1 min 30 sec
    13.) Soundwave - 1 min 25 sec
    14.) Ratchet - 1 min 23 sec
    15.) Reedman/Microcons -
    16.) The Doctor - 1 min 18 sec
    17.) Ravage - 1 min 15 sec
    18.) Demolishor/Scavenger - 1 min 10 sec
    19.) Arcee - 46 sec
    20.) Grindor - 42 sec
    21.) Mixmaster - TBA
    22.) Sideways - 35 sec
    23.) Long Haul - 24 sec

And I didn't even bother counting Jolt.

So, yes, RotF has a lot of returning characters that unfortunately get the shaft (Ironhide, Ratchet) and new characters that get the shaft as well (Arcee, Sideswipe, Soundwave). But please keep in mind that this is due to multiple factors. 1.) More characters. and 2.) A very poor consistency between characters appearing and disappearing between shots and scenes (The Twins, Arcee, Wheelie, etc.)

Now, for all of those people who might suddenly jump in and say "OMG, Megatron only gets 5-6 minutes in a 2.5 hour movie, that's lame! He's barely in it! Those Autobots are only there for like 30 seconds! We need more screentime for the robotz! Blah!", consider that using this same method, Darth Vader would probably only rank in at ~6-9 minutes here, depending on the sequel film. Or even the T.rex in the first Jurassic Park film (a main presence, I may remind you) would rank in at ~5 minutes. So, considering that Megatron only appears in the last 30 minutes of Transformers (save for some flashbacks), 5 minutes is pretty darn good. And I'm sure that DotM's numbers will be just as good if not higher for most of the returning characters.

12. megachin

megachin Banned

I can't wait for the DVD edition more deleted scenes.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The robot-only scenes were few and far between, but they were welcome.

14. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    Ya most scenes with humans had laserbeak in it so robots>humans.

15. springerbee

springerbee Well-Known Member

But I was asking more like, how much time did any shot with the robots get? Were the robots on screen for 30 or 50 minutes out of the 2 1/4 hour movie?

16. Sonicpower451

Sonicpower451 Well-Known Member

seiing the bots on screen makes the movie better for me than seeing mostly humans.

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they had more time and money to spread around this time because they didn't have a massive render like Devastator eating the budget.

18. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    I feel like there was a lot more robot time, but unfortunately, I don't think they made full use of that time. They didn't characterize a lot of the robots very well, and giving them more screen time wasn't going to change that.

19. griffon2k

griffon2k Active Member

I felt like the Transformers finally got more time, and character development. I actually got a sense of how Optimus, Sentinel, and Megatron all felt, what was driving them, and why. It was finally about more than just fighting because they were Autobots and Decepticons, and that what they do. It was about what each of these characters wanted out of the war, what they were willing to do to get it, and how that impacted them.

I don't know if the screen time numbers were actually all that different, but it definitely felt like the Transformers were in the driver's seat this time around.

20. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

Definitely more. And more steady close-ups of their faces while they spoke. I got a few really awesome glances at Sideswipe's face, for example, which pleased me.