Fellow G1'ers questions?????

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, May 15, 2012.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Let me say I love G1 almost exclusively.

My entire collection is G1 or homage to it with the Classics/Universe/Generations I have. Exception being 2 count them 2 movie figures, Banzaitron and Bludgeon.

I do not understand the whole Diaclone thing or the fascination with red toe variants or tracking down the unheard of blue/magnetic yellow/fluorescent minibot?

Not making a mean spiritied thread, it's an honest question I have had for a long time.

The Diaclone thing would make sense to me since I know some members were old enough and did have them pre TF.

I've always been trying to understand the love for some of these guys when they are not Transformers.

Same goes for the weird variants and the like, the vast majority bear little look wise to what we got in the cartoon or comic.

In the end, it might be just me, but let me know what you guys and gals are thinking when u pick them up for your collection?

I sometimes feel like I'm missing something because I have not had the slightest inkling to go after any of these guys.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  3. 3.8TransAM

4. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

If you like a certain mold/sculpt. Why would it matter if they are not "Transformers" and are instead Diaclone? Like if you like the Sunstreaker Mold/Sculpt why is it hard to understand the person likes the actual figure and might want more then just the official TF's?

Maybe from your point of view you only care about Transformers "characters"? Do you like the figures for the molds/sculpts sometimes? Or only cause it's a "Transformers Character" ?

Do you like Soundwave cause it's Soundwave? Or do you actually like the toy/figure/mold/sculpt and how it transforms and everything else?

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I collect baisiccly only G1 and if I could I would love to own a few Diaclone molds as it is a part of Tf history in some way.

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep in mind that a LOT of people who go on about Diaclone this or that simply do so because it's like the ultimate elite measuring stick for G1 uber fans. A "I liked Transformers before they became 'popular' and before they were actually called Transformers" sort of thing... despite most of them having no idea what Diaclone even was until years after G1 existed. And on the flip side, there's of course some people who just simply like the original alternate colored pre-TF Diaclone decos.

I personally could not care less about anything Diaclone related despite being a loyal G1 'fanboy', but I understand why some people are into it.

7. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    Original G1 toys in different colours, sold. It was always the toys that interested me before I got into the comics, and while some of my toy buying was affected by characters from fiction (Straxus, Thunderwing), I have always been driven by the awesome engineering of the '84-85 toys first and foremost, above all else.

Despite my love for them, I don't actually own any Diaclone, if I did I would buy the Joustra Diaclones for the awesome art on the toy packaging - they just don't make toy packaging like that anymore. However, I do own all the E-hobby releases in the original Diaclone colours, including Black Tracks and Powered Convoy. These are not only awesome toys, but have the advantage of also being in Transformers packaging, and in the case of some characters (Road Rage for example) have become recognised characters in TF mechlore. What's not to love?]

To the OP, I actually drive a 3.8 Pontiac Firebird. It turns some heads in the UK let me tell you.

8. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    eeeehhhhhh, I'm not sure that's it. More along the lines of understanding, appreciating and possibly owning the roots of what we know as Transformers today. A Diaclone or Microchange figure represents the history of something we have come to love.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Different people like different things. No need to understand it any deeper than that.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I don't have any diaclone or anything like that personally. However I think the draw is from the history of the figures. For instance I love the colors on the Diaclone blitzwing. I almost prefered it if Blitzwing was that color.

Having said that, Diaclones are super expensive, so I doubt I will ever get them. However, from a strictly historical sense, I could see the appeal. It is going even further back then the G1 cartons.

11. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I can say definitely that were I not originally a Transformers G1 fan and collector, I would not have gotten into Diaclone. While originally I fell in love with the cartoons, as an adult I find the toys much more interesting than the stories or characters themselves, but that is not to say I do not have a great affinity for the original animated series. I also thoroughly enjoyed RID, Animated and even the live action movies. I don't take any of the story stuff too seriously. The toys are a different matter...

I liked Diaclone because primarily it was a world of new colour variants of the Autobot cars which were always my preferred sub-line, they are the predecessors to Transformers and offer an insight into the history, origin and mystique of Transformers generally.

Nowadays what inspires me to collect pre-Transformers and variants are that there are mysteries to be solved, pieces to be placed into the grand scheme puzzle and long-buried explanations to unearth. I am also a massive fan of artwork, and the pre-TF world offers some of the most spectacular toy artwork in the style that I prefer the most.

I always wanted to be able to display all the car robots and their variants together, because I loved the cars and the world of pre-TFs allowed me to have even more cars.

The variant thing is fascinating to me because I'm still surprised by how many different interpretations of a single mould/character different companies, distributors and manufacturers could come up with. And the fact that 30 years later we are still discovering variants, artwork, packaging and releases says everything about why I love this hobby.

All the best
    Maz

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Haven't heard of the magnetic yellow or fluorescent ones. But if you're referring to the Microchange ones which came in blue, red and yellow, like Wagen, the pre-TF Bumblebee, to me they are grails because they were the precursors, the ancestors if you will of the G1 versions, and they are also hard to find and rather expensive even if you find them.

13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Maybe the OP is referring to this:
    Article metalbluewind

Considering he also mentions Diaclone (Category: pretf) and a red toed variant (Article redfoot), I can't help but feel he may not have much of an affinity for the work I've been doing.

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  14. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I was also thinking that maybe he was referring to the Estrela Mini-bots which came in fluorescent/neon-like and metallic color variants which I wouldn't have known about if not for your articles. :) 

15. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

The Transfandom runs a continuum from pure toy collectors to fans purely of the fiction.

It sounds like you are in the middle - Only caring about toys that have the Transformers name.

But there are plenty of fans of the toy designs that really enjoy having other versions of these designs.

Simple as that.

16. turboedguy

turboedguy minibotologist

News Credits:
    Because G1 mold variants and repaints make me happy.

17. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Me too! :) 

18. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    because powered convoy, red sunstreaker, police sunstreaker, blue bluestreak, malboor, etc are very nice decos on the g1 molds. there's a lot of history there, rarity as well

19. 3.8TransAM

You can relax:lol  I was being flippant

I've read it all and always try and keep update on all G1 stuff

I've known of Diaclone since I was little when they were very sparse in stores pre TF and most of the other variants from other countries.

I see so much talk of them here and I always check out new articles on them so I am aware of what is out there(u never know what u might trip over when out and about). I guess I just have no love for figures I have no connection to from my youth

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sure there is. Most people have valid reasons for liking and disliking things. Also, from the tone of the op's inquiries, he's at least trying to be understanding and wants more than he knows. I applaud that :) 

Here's my response:

These guys both have said well how I feel also. Maz really hits the nail on the head with my own feelings (the portion I've highlighted and oversized for this emphasis). Even as a kid, everything TRANSFORMERS had this mystique that just captivated me. As an adult, I have a strong nostalgia for that aspect of TRANSFORMERS, and it's something that can never be reproduced for me.

The history of this line is really engaging and fascinating, as Maz often writes so well about. There's always something to "OH WOW THAT'S COOL!" about that I didn't know before. The different variants of the figures and the packaging never cease with that.

Speaking of the packaging, I've also highlighted the comments about the artwork. As a kid, the abstract styling of the fantasy artwork really captivated me, and it still does in much the same way as an adult. The pre-TF figures have a lot more of that, and I continue to be a fan of that as well.

All of that doesn't mean that I can or would plunk down the excessive amounts of money for these toys, but there are other ways I can still enjoy the line. Here's one such example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Powered Convoy on the left, my Classics Powered Convoy custom on the right)