Fellow car guys/girls, I need your opinion.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyrus Orion, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Cyrus Orion

Cyrus Orion Active Member

So anyone who knows me knows that I'm a car guy, but I'm also very indecisive. The lease on my car is running out soon, so I need to to decide if I'm gonna buy my car, or get something new. I like my car, a 2007 RX-8, but I still don't know if I should keep it. So, I have been doing window shopping, but nothing has really grabbed me by the throat and screamed "ME! I'M THE ONE!" just yet. I'm not even that picky, just RWD or AWD. The Girlfriend wants me to get a Challenger, and as beautiful as they both are, I'm not sure.

So any recomendations?

2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    KEEP THE RX-8

that shit is tight.

3. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Wait to spring and grab one, if you can. Much worth the wait, the challenger is a behemoth. And mustang's are :puke2: . If you want something different, get an STi.

Guess you've never driven one up a large hill, then.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From a fellow rotary owner, keep the rx-8.

I've got a 10th anniversary FC and it's by far my favorite car to drive

5. Cyrus Orion

The products of the new pony wars are very nice, but the Camaro's center console annoyed me last I saw it( I don't care that its retro I Hate the little gauges, but it may have changed, I missed it, didn't see it this year at the LA show), the Challenger is ginormous but I love the interior and that 5.7 hemi is a class act engine (the 5.7 and 6.1 hemi's are the only good engines Chrysler seems to have ATM) and the Mustang STILL will have its live axle in the 2010 update. Also I have a soft spot for Mitsubishi, so I'd get an Evo before I get the STI. My best friend drives a WRX(helped him pick it out too), he'd kill me for that. He's still pissed my neighbor had to one up him and get an STI a week after he got his WRX.

EDIT:
    Also Getting the Camaro or Challenger means I'd have to find a descent dealership, as the nearest ones are owned by Power, and they can burn in hell for treating their customers and Techs like crap.

6. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

I love those gauges myself, but they're an option. Plus you can't beat 422 hp on 3700 lbs from the factory, all for less than $35k.

7. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with Michael Knight if you go for the Challenger then wait for the new model. Also think about how much money you spent on your current car, is it really worth getting a new to pay more money than you would've with the RX-8? Unless of course you're a rich bastard than by all means go right ahead and get a new one but test drive your possible new car, and make sure it's as good as the RX-8 and you feel comfortable with it. Cause that would suck, being stuck with a car you realize you hate later on down the road(pun not intended).

8. Cyrus Orion

Well as far as pricing goes, my payment on my RX-8 will go up if I buy. MSRP on it was $30k and all of the pony cars mentioned are at or below that, the Camaro is going to have INSANE mark up as well, and as Michael Knight said, it starts at $35K, tack on another 5-7k for dealer greed and I'd rather get something else.
    So far the want list I've assembled is:
    BMW 135i
    Subaru WRX STI
    Mitsubishi Evolution X
    Dodge Challenger R/T
    Mazda RX-8
    Chevy Camaro SS
    Ford Mustang GT
    Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

9. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't get the WRX, Evo or Solstice unless you're a chump.

Take the Bimmer or the RX-8. Maybe the Mustang.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  10. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Camaro or the Challenger.

It's got a hemi.

11. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    If you aren't gonna keep the RX-8, check out a Pontiac G8. You can get a GT for around $30k, and it comes with lots of great equipment.

12. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'm more of a fan of the Big 3, so here's my choices for you:

1) Dodge Challenger
    2) Chevy Camaro
    3) Ford Mustang

13. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

As a fellow RX-8 driver, I'd say keep it and look into forced induction. XD That's my plan anyway.

14. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

I'd get the new Challenger. I have an '06 Charger R/T and it's awesome. Best handling car I've had. My only complaint is that the steering isn't as responsive as I like. I heard they fixed that with the Challenger some.

Mustangs are great, too. The new Camaro is sweet. If you want a four-door, the Pontiac G8 is, in my opinion (and that of many critics), as good or better than a comparable BMW. I would say a little better but that's based on BMW's need to over-engineer things.

15. Cyrus Orion

Looks like alot of Mo-town support here. One big problem I have with my RX-8 is I like In a bit mountainous region in Southern California (Right near Six Flags: Magic mountain), I work here, live here, and go to college here. This means a lot of hills and ,at times, a lot of traffic. Rotarys are meant to run, so while I can get upwards of 33MPG on the highways traffic permitting, I usually get 8-14MPG in the city. I'm no gas miser but its a big annoyance. I live on top of a steep hill, the neighborhood is nice and flat, but getting to it means I have to put her though her paces. More low end torque found in the Ponys should alleviate both these problems. Better up hills and less reason to push her off the line to get up to speed.

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Get a Datsun 240 and do a V8 conversion on it, then pait it up like smokescreen.

17. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

the sti I drove handled well,no idea why but then again it was REALLY customized

and i have fond memories of driving an RX-7 FD of a friend

I would keep the rx 8 if the feeling of driving was the same as the FD.

18. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Go for a Challenger.

19. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

I've been getting around 16 MPG around town in my V8 HEMI. Keep in mind its about 10 degrees currently, snowing, and I drive it like I stole it. Dodge's V6 gets about 20/21 average, my HEMI with the MDS gets around 18 - 20 when I drive normal in normal weather. The V6 Mustang gets around 20/21 as well.

20. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'd either keep the RX-8, or get a 2010 Mustang. (They're due out, in a couple of months.) I've not been too impressed with the styling on the new Camaro, and was never really a fan of the old ones. Besides, I still haven't forgiven GM for killing the Firebirds. The Challenger looks nice, but Chrysler has a long history of weak kneed transmissions.