Feelings on ebay tool for sellers.

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by transmetropolitan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. transmetropolitan

transmetropolitan nonjon TFW2005 Supporter

I've been buying on ebay for 7 years and just recently started selling. I'm shocked that it keeps a total, viewable for seller, on how many people are watching your item. I don't like it. If it's an auction I'm going to bid on, I set my cell phone now to alert me.

2. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Well, if you don't like it... don't use it. Simple as that.

3. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Or you can flip the switches in My eBay to have eBay text message your cellphone directly.
    Scary, no? :) 

4. transmetropolitan

Cell phone alerts are only available for items you have bidded on or are watching. My point is, this information can be manipulated.

5. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its part of the transparency that eBay is using to protect itself, the buyer and the seller simple as that.

6. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i thought it only tells you, YOU, how many people are watching. nobody else. maybe i missed the main point here.

7. transmetropolitan

In college, in the late nineties, a few times in the computer lab late at night there would be these two guys working together to increase the amount of one of the others items, you know, get more money out of the people who actually will pay. This has always been in the back of mind. With the seller being able to know how many people are watching his item, he could gage wheather or not to use a "fake" bidder. If you had an item with 150 people watching, a lot of whom may not be bidding untill the auction end, using a bogus bidder will probably increase your take. I guess it comes down to this. It's an advantage to the seller, and a disadvantage to the buyer.

8. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    thats why your the seller, and any tools that help you sell your item better, call it a plus. also, you dont need to see how many people are watching to shill bid. you could have a fake ebay id, or you could get friends to jack your auction if it needs a little bump.

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't really see the issue. It is a good way, and really the only way to know how much interest there is in your item. There are always people out there who are going to do the sneaky stuff.