Feeling like an old timer!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus Primal, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

I help out with my church's teenage group, called Oneighty on Friday nights. I'm there to mingle and to make them all feel accepted. I usually wear a fan Tshirt of some sort to spark up conversation. Tonight I wore my newest Autobot symbol Tshirt along with my track jacket that has G1 Megatron on the back. Sure enough it sparked a LOT of convos with them. Some wanted my jacket. Others questioned "Which Decepticon is that on the back?" It seriously shocked me to have to answer that question. I explained that he is the original Megatron and that he turned into a gun. A lot of them said they began watching during Armada so they thought he always turned into a tank at first. Others said they only knew the movies. I'm really taken back to be almost 29 and I'm giving these kids knowledge of Transformers of yester year. I wonder how many here feel the same way!

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm like those kids sometimes at work. People talking about movies & TV shows that were out before I was born or I was too young to watch so I either have no idea about them or just know basic info about it. People were talking about Tom Bosley from Happy Days & how they would watch it every week. I could just say I some some on reruns.

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I've observed an odd pattern among the kids I attempt to tell about what TFs used to be like. The ones whose only exposure was the Bay films tend not to give a shit about anything I say, while those who watched Animated tend to be more open and appreciative. Funny, that. Whatever the case, though, yeah - I feel old.

4. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    I think the problem is kids today won't have that wonderful sense of wonder and nostalgia that we get watching Geewun 'toons. They would probably curl up their lip in disgust by the cheap animation.... little do they know the crap animation is nearly half the fun! ;) 

If anyone who grew up on Beast Wars and beyond enjoy watching G1 let me know. That would be interesting.
    Yeah... no matter what's going on in my life, just popping in a G1 DVD and tuning into it... it's the closest thing to a time machine to the 80s that I know of.

I don't have any advice for not feeling old... except that I never feel old because I don't care about aging. I probably will when my body starts to fail.

5. Rodimus Primal

Well its not my body that feels old, its just the knowledge I have from growing up on G1. These kids talk a lot about the new stuff so its fun talking up the old.

6. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I started watching with RiD (when I was like 5 or 6) and I knew Megatron turned into a gun by 10. What noobs those kids are.

7. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Wooow, I'm 22, only saw G1 when it was a bunch of re-runs, was around for Beast Wars, but I feel crazy old now.

I thought it was well known to mainstream that Megs turned into a gun.

8. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

i have all you beat i'm 45 and when g1 first came out i was teased all the time. it didn't matter thought because i liked transformers too much to care. i have to be one of the oldest fans here.

9. Rodimus Primal

So you're never too old to love Transformers.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I'm 39 and I can remember hoping I would get home in time from school every day to see the G1 toon. I even tried to tape what episodes I could, but I think the only one I ended up with was Megatron's Master Plan. There might have been more. I think Mask might have come on right after it. Kinda fuzzy when I try and think back that far.

11. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Yep thats soooooooo true but at 1 time I thought that their was a age limit on something like that but now I don't think that anymore cause I love TF's and forgot how much I missed them when I got back into them back in 02'. Oh I started from the VERY begining which is the G1 cartoon and collection of the BEST figures ever made. I was 9yrs old when they started on TV.

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I'm 22 and grew up watching Beast Wars. So for me any feelings of nostalgia is limited to Beast Wars DVDs, my one Beast Wars t-shirt, old BW figures, the Beast Wars tributes from Animated, and the rare non Botcon new Beast Wars figures in stores.

What I wouldnt give to wake up back in those wonderful days of Beast Wars again.

13. cuad

cuad VOK EMISSARY

News Credits:
    I grew up with BW, and let me tell you I love G1 so much. I've only had a few of the toys (I think only Megatron (awesome) and Tantrum(awesome)) but I love that cartoon.

I was watching the Agenda, and saw Soundwave (I guessed that he was an autobot, lol.) in the shuttle and since they were going on and on about "the great war" I thought I ought to at least check out the history of the Maximals and Preds. Best decision ever.

It only took me so long because the vehicle transformers cartoon at the time was transformers cybertron, and just from the commercials I knew it was ass. So that put me off to vehicle formers for a while.

I also am thankful that the maximal leader in BW was called Optimus Primal instead of Prime, because he is just in no way Optimus Prime, and that saved me the internal conflict of the kids who say "oh no I thought Megatron was always a tank." Somehow I'm fine with BW Megatron being called Megatron though.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I've noticed that too with strictly movie fans...the minute you mention that there's over 2 decades worth of history before the movies, their eyes glaze over. I don't mean movie fans actually IN the fandom, of course, I mean out in the general public.

--Moony

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    old timer? thats something youll never be if you dont get back to the city!

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I've noticed the same thing. It's because the Bay movies are superficial attention-deficit summer bloatbusters, made by a guy who clearly doesn't really give a flaming poo about the history and legacy of oldschool Transformers.

So really it comes as no surprise that the crop of kids who came to Transformers through those movies have no interest in anything "old" or nerdy. For them it's all hot cars, fart jokes and Megan Fox booty shots. Why should they care about some old cartoon from the 80's?

However, those who came to it through Animated will naturally have a different outlook, since to be a fan of animated, you would have a much different relationship with the characters and the sci-fi setting. Plus, y'know... you're already watching kids' cartoons, so it's not much of a stretch. :) 

zmog

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I still find it funny how everyone here expects everyone else to know details of a TV show from 25 years ago, as if no one else was born in the intervening time between then and now.

It doesn't make you old. It just makes you older than them.

18. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i grew up with beast wars and i know basically all about g1 haha i still think i am an 80's kid at heart even though i am 18

19. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    LET'S BURN RUBBER!

:lol 

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    youre supposed to go SAVE IT, KUP :\