Fear Itself Conclusion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Just finished reading issue 7, and while it wasn't the great event I expected it to be (I felt this could have been done in maybe 2-3 issues fewer), it did do a couple of things right.

Spoilers
    1. Great comeback by the heroes, definitely had an epic feel to it. I loved that splash page when the magic powered Avengers showed up to back Cap up.
    2. Captain America picking up Mjolnir and crying Avengers Assemble to rally the heroes in the final battle . Best panel of the series, maybe the year if you ask me. There was a bit of hokiness at the end when the residents joined the fight (I mean seriously, what could they do? From what I could see of the page, they didn't even bring guns to the fight.)
    3. An actual ending and a plot that didn't go off tangent. I mean seriously, after House of M, Secret Invasion and Siege kind of gave us non-endings after so much hype, and the way Siege was a redirect from being Norman Osborn's siege on Asgard to having Sentry be the actual big villain, this felt way waaaayyy better.
    4. It accomplished the spin-off a little better.

I was disappointed at a few things though
    1. Thor dead? Again? Seriously Marvel, you've killed the guy and brought him back more times than Phoenix. Give it a rest already. We all know he's coming back, he has two titles running and has a major motion picture coming up. Please.
    2. The big bad Serpent being taken down by Thor alone, in battle armor. I thought this was being too easy, especially after all the build-up. Yes I know the prophecy was there. It would have been nicer to show the Asgard-powered Avengers joining Thor to give the serpent a beat down. Have the humans all over the world cast aside their fear, weakening him, a lot of things could have been done.
    3. Asgardians stuck on Earth. Again. This time by Odin. I'm sorry, but I thought the writers figured out they couldn't really write the whole Asgardians interacting with Earth thing, so that's why they sent them back. From my perspective, they couldn't really accomplish the epic feel they had when they were on Earth. Now they don't even have Asgard on Earth. Why do I have the feeling this is will be changed soon?
    4. A scratch on Cap's shield. This feels like they want to make this event relevant, but c'mon, it definitely won't be as nice to see the shield flying out with a huge scratch on it. Plus, they've broken it several times already, magic healed it the first few times, why couldn't it be done now?

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I hope Tony gets to keep the Destroyer armor

3. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Hm yeah, they did announce some spinoff for that right? I hope they don't last long though, the armors are really deus ex machina than anything else.

4. Grimlocks Pretender Shell

Grimlocks Pretender Shell Member of the Church of Quake.

I thought the dwarves thew the mystical weapons into the lava? I thought that would include the armor?

5. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I have to say, I am very disappointed by this event. I found Siege was disappointing too.

I was JUST starting to actually like Cap Bucky.

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly every event this year has been disapointing this year. Fear itself, Flashpoint, the x-men crossover, Chaos were all just plain boring.

The whole style of doing these events just seams ass backwards. Its like ok these are the books we want to do next years lets cram all the setups into this summers events. Why not just tell a great story and deal with the ramifications it creates then decide if those events deserve their own title?

Thor is taking a nap? again?
    Bucky cant be cap right now for some movies? So He has to die?
    Caps shield has a scratch? Really?
    Hulk banner split? again?
    Defenders? again?
    Damn Marvel get your head out of your ass

7. Star Saber

News Credits:
    I only had problems with the first 3, but yeah I can see where you're going there. The thing is, comics always seem to be stuck on particular cycles these days, and 2 of the last 5 you mentioned happen to be their favorites :) 

8. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The problem is anytime a series branches out and goes somewhere different, a few years later, it's retcon, or reset, or it all goes back to the way it was.
    This was one of the reasons I used to like DC so much, they had more legacy characters like Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Wally's daughter was going to be impulse, there was so much room for some character evolutions and new characters. But no, semi reboot. The Titans never happened, Wally has vanished, the JSA didn't exist....
    And I'm basically reading new versions of old stories in some cases.
    Example:Action comics
    Lets see, Superman fighting military and Luthor: Check
    John Corben in Super Suit becoming metallo: Check
    Lois angry at father: Check
    Superman Discovering his origins:Check
    Braniac:Check
    It's basically Secret origin all over again. And that just came out a year or so ago.
    Plus all the crap going on in Red hood and other series. Making characters I liked unreconizable.
    I'm dropping titles like crazy and buying more and more trades of old series.
    Marvel as mentioned by others is just as bad rehashing the same tired old plots that have been done before.
    We need new ideas not rehashes of ones we've read before.
    On the other hand I may soon have more money to spend on other things.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

Tony's using the Extremis armor, which is apart of him. I doubt they would be able to throw it into the lava, so I figure there's a possibility that he could keep it.

10. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Yes the rehashing is really getting bad. In a way, what Marvel is doing with the Ultimate Universe is kind of good because it basically makes them avoid an Ultimate update of a classic storyline.

11. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    I thought he quite the Extremis? He on(in) it again?

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    He means Bleeding Edge. It stores in his bones.

13. blue death

blue death TokuNation Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Speaking from a retailer perspective (I manage a Comic Shop) I've got to say Fear Itself was a colossul failure of an event. Not only was it longer and more drug out than necessary, main events and transformations for characters that should ahve happened in the main series itself occured in tie-in issues that were pretty sub-par. I.E. the Serpents' hammers finding their users outside the main title like Grey Gargoyle and Athuma.

I did enjoy the epicness of Cap using Mjolnir but otherwise I found this series to be pretty lackluster. Lots of build-up with little payoff, which is od considering I find Matt Fraction to be a competent and entertaining writter, especially with Thor.

Strictly speaking from a sales perspective DC's Flashpoint event shattered Fear Itself here. Maybe the industry sales numbers overall were different but in my shop I sold out of the main issues of Flashpoint consecutively and sold about 70-80% of what I ordered on each of the tie-in issues. That event was well constructed, well written, and had a great pay-off in my opinion.

Fear Itself could have been amazing, it's a decent concept with poor execution. Obviously it's got some impact on the Marvel U (short-term at least) with the deaths of Bucky and Thor, the crack in Cap's shield, Tony's brief return to alcohol, etc. However I feel that not too far past the events conclusion we won't really see the effects matter anymore. Already Marvel is flooding the post Fear Itself Marvel U with titles like "Battle Scars", "The Fearless", and "Shattered Heroes". An event is one thing but the sheer size of the Fear Istself Aftermath titles is ridiculous. They're milking this one way too hard.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

Pretty much the same thing

15. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Gotcha, thanks

16. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Seriously?

Goddammit Marvel!!

17. Star Saber

News Credits:
    Well so far, in the last few years Marvel has :
    1. Made Peter Parker single.
    2. Made Iron Man an alchoholic
    3. Made two different sets of X-Teams that have diff ways of dealing with issues.
    4. Made Thor battle a giant serpent during an end of world event in battle armor.
    5. Made multiple teams of Avengers.

They're rehashing the 80s :D  For those of you who don't get no. 3, back in the 80s, the X-franchise was mainly composed of two teams, X-Factor and X-men (the other was New Mutants which was basically doing its own thing), one with Cyclops and the other Wolverine, where Cyke wanted to find and train new mutants, and where the main X-men team were just fighting villains and generally trying to survive.