FEAR 2 demo is out!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Despite Windcharger being all "blah-blah the game doesn't have gewd enuf textures and animations". Sorry, just messing around there WC.

So far from the demo FEAR 2 is more or less the same as FEAR 1. You have an enemy AI that doesn't operate alone. Actually they do a really good job finding cover, it felt like I was almost dealing with people that I airsoft against.

I like the gun designs now look a little more futureistic (think Ghost in the Shell) instead of slight remakes of modern day weapons. So far from what I've seen, the weapons have a less sci-fi + super science theme with them, like the sniper rifle in this game is a .50 cal sniper instead of a mass particle accelerator that turns people to skeletons. You do get very gory results when you blast someone with the .50 cal sniper though. There is a laser cannon that I sliced someone in half with, but that's as far as the weapons go for being a "little out of this world" like.

I'm not sure what to judge the graphic quality. I have no problems with it personally, but I noticed that the game has a very heavy grain filter on it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in a city that just got blasted by a nuke, or if it's to add more tension to the atmosphere or if it's even to cover up the texture issue that Windcharger talked about once.

I like at how your character moves around the environment. It's kinda sluggish and weighed down. If you run towards an object in your way like a couch or a table and them, your character will actually hop over it. It's more like I'm actually there instead of being a floating head with a gun, kinda like Half Life. What's neat too is that objects like tables, vending machines, stools, you can knock over and you can use it as cover. My advice though is to knock over some cover that you could actually hide behind, a coffee table doesnt even cover half my body when crouching, heh.

A slight pet peeve I have with the game is some gun noises are weak. Like the shotgun is just a sort of pop and not a KABOOM. Sure it may be more realistic but it's not that satisfying. The game still has the same gory results with weapons like the shotgun, but basicly this is what happens.

*fires shot gun with the little pop noise*

*guy EXPLODES in gore!*

Little weird.

The game also features.... MECH COMBAT! The little bit of action that you get in it is insane! You pilot an exo skeleton like thingy with chain guns and missiles and there is lots of destruction to be had! It's not like.... Mercenaries or Bad Company destruction, but there's still lots of things breaking apart. The transistion from on foot to mech reminds of one of Monoliths other games Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, cept in I'm in a smaller mech this time but whatever.

As far as the horror elements in this game go, yeah, they're still spooky, still kind of the same spook factor. The game uses atmosphere and darkness to creep you out instead of just relying on pop up surprises. The demo has some really fucked up imagery, I also have trouble figuring out what is true and what isnt when you see these. It gets.... weird.

They still have those really cool martial art moves that you can do in the orignal FEAR, but my gripe is that when you hit a guy with them, its not as dramatic as before. I'll kick a guy in the face and he just kinda falls down, not fly backwards and smash through a window. I'll have to try out more of it to really see.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

The first one had some fun recoil, reminded me of 'Black' a little.
    Look foward to this one

3. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Black actually came out after FEAR 1, though.

That's intentional design. The whole idea with the first game was to be over-the-top John Woo style action mixed with Japanese horror. So for FEAR 2, they just tried to take that a step further. I actually did all the blood puddles on the ground (didn't do the effects on the enemies when you shoot them, but the artist used my blood reference photos that I took).

Also intentional. Everyone at Monolith is still big dorks about Shogo and they love it to death (I worked there for 6 years, so I know this). They actually would love to do a Shogo 2, but they don't have confidence in it's sales because the first one was a cult hit, but didn't sell well. Other than few people on message boards going "SHOGO!!! YEAH!" from time to time, there's no interest, so they don't seriously talk about it. But anyways, they had the little Powered Armors in the first game, so they thought this was a good opportunity to get a big mech battle in the game. Was always one of my favorite parts, actually.

Glad ya like it, though. I invested 3 years of my life making assets for it...so I'm glad someone appreciates it to some degree.

4. DaggersRage

^^ Cool!

Hope my little bits of critique wern't argovating. I'm still very excited for this game to come out.

5. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah, it's far from a flawless game.
    When I played it from start to finish, I gave it an 8.5

-D

6. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

PS3, 360 or Both?

7. DaggersRage

Yes and even PC :D 

8. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

downloading PS3 now will do 360 tommorow.

9. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    THAT'S what I wanted to hear!

10. DaggersRage

The game came out today! Once I get off work, I'll be all over it and exploding replica soldiers into horrible, horrible amounts of gore. :D 

11. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, sorry DG, you know you're my boy, but this one I have to stay away from. Gears and KZ have set some new standards in how much effort should be put into making something look truly next gen.

I completely support and believe in the notion that gameplay makes a game, not graphics, but at a certain point, you have the ability to do both and don't, and this is a game whos atmosphere plays a lot into that, so the more gritty and less tiled things look the more absorbtion in the world. And I didn't feel that in the demo. And Amanda (if that's her name), just stopped being scary 2 Ring Movies and 3 Silent Hills ago.

Hey, we always got Tom Clancy's Hawks. I'll be all over that.

12. DaggersRage

It's cool :D 

As far as shooters go, I think that graphics are one of the more importants elements, in a way I think it's even more important than story. Gameplay/combat comes first though. Although, speaking of story, I do want to see what'll happen in FEAR 2, there's so much mystery!

The Alma scares are getting a little old, that or I've been playing the crap out of the FEAR 2 demo.

We just happen to have a difference in opinion is the graphics, I think they look fine, but I don't think I'm seeing what you see.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dg you're my boy!!!

14. DaggersRage

WRONG!!!

There's also these enemies that move like spiders. Uuughhhhhhh!

Got the game yesterday. The action is intense too.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I liked this demo more than Killzone 2's. It was still rather pants, however :( 

16. DaggersRage

Well, I finished the story already. I blew through the game (and many enemies). I think it's a decent length shooter, I just went through it on normal and I was on the ball. I only died twice throughout the campaign.

It gets serously fucked up..... Like the disturbing kind.

17. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

playing through the PC now on Steam, enjoying it about as much as I thought I would... that is to say, a whole effing lot