FE vs RID

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by updatedude, Jan 22, 2012.

1. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Hey all, so now I've been hearing about this RID thing, and at first I thought they were just the FE toys but in new packaging. Evidently, that's not the case. So based on what we know now, what are the differences between FE and RID, which version of a given character is "superior" and which ones y'all intend to get?

I'm asking this because of course, I wanna know which version I should go for. And whether it's worth getting the RID version if I already have a FE.

Your input would be much appreciated.

Voyager FE Optimus Prime vs Powerizer RID Optimus Prime
    FE Prime:
    Nothing fancy to talk about, more or less "ideal". If there's a con, it's that he has a soft rubbery sword. Oh, and also he has a faux windshield chest. These are nitpicky problems though.

RID Prime:
    His windshield chest is the same as his alt mode. But his chest is more gray overall, which is less screen accurate. He has a harder sword, but it doesn't seem to cover his hand for the illusion of being a retractable weapon. He has translucent plastic for the underside of his forearms, to go along with his light up weapon. He also has a significant backpack, as opposed to FE's almost clean back.

Question: Does RID Prime's neck have the same level of detailing as FE Prime's?

On the face of it: FE Prime is the "superior" version.

Deluxe FE Cliffjumper vs Revealer RID Cliffjumper
    As far as I can tell, RID Cliff has an opened (angry) mouth. He also has different feet than FE Cliff. I can't find clear enough pictures to indicate what else is different though. Please assist. Which is "better"? Is RID Cliff worth if you managed to snag FE Cliff?

Deluxe FE Bumblebee vs Revealer RID Bumblebee
    FE Bumblebee: Has an issue with his chest clips breaking. Only one gun.

RID Bumblebee: Has some sort of Automorph(?). Has two guns.

Personally, I LOVE the upcoming blue repaint of RID(?) Bumblebee with the weird new head. So for myself, I can justify getting the new mold when it comes out as a repaint. That said, what's the consensus on the new Bumblebee, based solely on the highly limited info we've got?

Finally...

Deluxe FE Vehicon vs Revealer RID Vehicon
    RID Vehicon has no back kibble, which probably makes it "superior".

Personally, I can't even find FE Vehicon, but I'm also kind of glad there's a diff between FE and RID. It means I can buy BOTH. Since RID is evidently the "better" version, I'd army build that and have FE be the "leader"/Steve.

Still, any additional info on them besides the back kibble? What about weapons?

Well, any assistance would be appreciated. I reckon there are other topics bringing up these two lines, but I wanted to compile the diffs here as a handy dandy shopping guide fer myself.

Thankers in advance.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I think all the FE ones are better with the exception of Vehicon.

RID Bumblebee = huge panel of car on his back, in addition to the same chunky ankles his first version had. Worse.

RID Cliffjumper = More kibble, more cheating, horrible looking arms, inaccurate weapon. Even more worse.

RID Optimus Prime = Dull grey chest, less accurate, weird looking legs, weird looking truck mode, crappy transparent plastic because of gimmick. Worse.

RID Vehicon = Huge buttflap kibble on his back is gone. That alone makes him better.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  4. updatedude

I see, then I guess aside from the Hot Shot repaint and the Vehicon, I'll be able to refrain from getting doubles. Thanks for the info!

5. updatedude

Thanks for the link.

Although having read through that thread, it doesn't really tell me what I wanna know. Since the thread and info are pretty old.

Still, thanks for the assist!

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The only problem with comparing these two lines is that Asia and NA got the FE line and the UK has the RID line. No one really has both lines to compare the two. Picture speak some but until someone has both version in hand to compare them any comparison made by pictures only are unfair.

I still don't get the hate for v2 CJ. I think his RID version is much better than his FE version. But in the end Zombie CJ is the clear winner. First Zombie TF in 28 years FTW!!!

7. updatedude

Indeed. Between Zombie CJ, the Zombie Viper and Figma MJ, I'm gathering a bit of an undead horde now.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The bolded text, those are toys from other lines right?

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RID Cliffjumper has a different head, feet/legs, arms, obnoxious oversized weapon, wheels on his shoulders, different colored windshield. He also lacks the show accurate hand cannons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, someone else in another thread referred us to that thread as well, and to be honest it doesn't really confirm or reveal anything.

What I find interesting is that no one honestly knows what exactly will be released, where it will be released, and what packaging it will come in. Yeah, we know it will come in RID packaging in Europe, but it could come in TF: PRime packaging in the US or even FE packaging, who knows. To be honest, I could care less what packaging it comes in.

I would just like to know confirmation on what everyone is assuming will be released. Hopefully we will get some answers soon.

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Ok I see it now. I was hung up on v2 CJ's feet. They are much more show accurate than the FE version. But upon closer look between the two pics here and the show model, everything else seems to match up better with the FE version.

Attached Files:

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But does anyone know that these are 2 different figures that will be released in 2 different places, or are a few of them just early concepts shown to us at a show before the final tweeks?

13. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    The first picture is of First Edition Cliffjumper. Right now all we know of that line is that it is a North American release (not including Takara's release of the figures for the Asian market)

The second picture is of Cliffjumper version 2 which is part of the RID line and will be a world wide release (UK already got them)

14. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm, ok. Its interesting that they would make 2 different versions of him. Makes me wonder if these "First editions" were models that were originally scrapped, but they decided to release them anyway. I've always known about the 2 versions, but I wasn't convinced yet that they were both going to get released. I thought maybe one was an early prototype. Hard to keep up will all this :confused: 

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  15. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    3 versions, don't forget the FE Zombie CJ which is a remould of the FE CJ.

From what we can gather the FE line was intended to be part of the Generations line. This was discovered when a mysterious Arcee showed up on a retalers computer and we all got excited expecting a G1 Classics Arcee. It turned out to be Prime Arcee. It was never released in the Generations line and was released as part of the FE line. The FE line is also in scale with the Generations line and not the new smaller size classes that first appeared int he DotM line.

So yes the FE figures where an original idea that got scrapped and were released differently under a different working model..aka TF Prime First Edition line.

17. updatedude

Yup, G.I. Joe and Figma respectively. But darnit, I need my Thriller dancers.

Oh wow, thanks for the comparison. Yeah, the wheels on RID's shoulders... oh darn.

18. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
  19. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Two good things I'll say about the RID Optimus is that at least the shoulders aren't a cheat as well and he doesn't have the heel kibble the FE did.

20. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the info! No, I didn't forget about Zombie CJ :D  I actually consider that one a totally different mold :p