FE Prime Figs, Seems Supply is High, Demand is Low. Why Still Priced High?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by cbff, Mar 1, 2012.

1. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Seems like the rush to buy the First Edition figures has pretty much died down. Those that REALLY wanted them paid the higher prices, those that could live without moved on.

I'm curious then, with the demand lowered, and so many on Ebay right now, why isn't the price dropping at all? I could understand if there were only a handful online available, but on Bulkhead alone, there's about 50.

Do people just insist on getting the higher price and are content to just sit on the item, even if it never sells?

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I think you have that backwards. I haven't seen demand get any lower and we have seen supply continue to shrink.

3. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    Well, on Ebay...they can just re-list the item until Hell freezes over, or it sells. At least that's how I remember it being like. Have the rules changed?

My guess is that the prices might go down, but in all honesty...the people selling these will actually raise the prices since they are "Rare, and hard to find."

The only way that the prices will drop (U.S. sellers) is if more and more sellers from the Orient put cheaper auctions up. They have the supply there, so if they are the cheapest (even with shipping), then they will get the buyers. Once this becomes popular, then maybe some U.S. sellers will try and match their prices.

I was going to buy a few FE's from the Orient, but the time to wait was long (about a month), and I was clueless about any Custom's charges that might apply.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

*looks at link*

You do realize that those prices are pretty high, and that they're auctions with at least 3 or more people having already placed bids? People are still paying top dollar for those things.

Makes me glad I snagged a FE Cliffy for a good $40.

5. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Like SouthtownKid said, "I think you have that backwards.". The link you provided have 2 deluxe figures and a voyager that is only released a few months going for over $200.

6. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Perhaps I'm mistaken then on the demand. I think the market shows that none of the potential buyers in the market want to buy Bulkhead for more than $100. Yet that's where the majority of the Auctions and BINs are sitting at.

The most active auctions are all under $100, but close. So if you're trying to unload your items, wouldn't it make sense to lower it below the $100 threshold, even if it's only to $95?

Am I overthinking economics on this one?

7. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Those people with a high BiN are probbly professional re-sellers. They're willing to sit on an item for a long period of time. Once quantities die down, that's when the late comers and desperate bites.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All I know is I still need an FE Prime. Takara or Hasbro.

9. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Supply and demand, my friend...

10. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Supply high? Demand low?

Ha. Ha ha. Ha ha ha...

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

That really creeped me out as I looked at you're sig. Man, that stunt double is scary.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I was gonna say. Maybe the craze has died down a bit, (or become less vocal) but there's certainly not enough to go around.

13. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I don't think the demand has gone down at all, but rather that there's a little more supply because people who have access to this shit actually know they can move it. For example, I remember some of the Prime figures being out just after Christmas & getting some pretty good deals. However, the majority of stuff was still sitting there at 40% off (well, except the only two Bulkheads that sold in like 2 days), and I'm willing to be that just like me, most people didn't think to buy shitloads because they figured they demand would go down shortly after... especially since there was a good amount of talk about how the line (which at the time only had FE figures) in general sucked ass compare to Animated & Generations.

... fast forward a little while when the stuff gets cancelled & replaced with a lesser line, and everyone not only wants the FE stuff all of a sudden, but is willing to pay the generous market value for it. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have bought out everything in my TRU when it was actually cheaper than regular price (save the Bumbleebes), but since time travel isn't an option, I can't. However, people who live in bigger cities where the supply actually still exists can do it relatively easily, and even if they don't make a lot of money per figure (since the Canadian postal system works hard to make that impossible), they can still do alright with a lot of volume in this market, which is what I've seen happening.

14. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I noticed activity and prices droped the week Hasbro said they were going to try to release the FE figs later this year. But, then it went right back up.

Actual auctions are still going pretty high, near or even sometimes above BIN prices.

For me the hardest one to nail down was the Takara Optimus. :( 

I hate to admit it, but I've really been on edge the last 5 weeks because of the FE line. Paying crazy prices on my limited budget, it's like having the same buying power I had in '84.

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bulkhead is still selling between 70 and 95 and there is a current auction for Takara BH, CJ and the Vehicon and the price is like $220 something right now.

Honestly they have nowhere to go but up, especially the Voyagers and Vehicon.

16. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, this is because I don't believe it is actually going to happen. Seemed more like just trying to calm the storm of complaints they were getting and buy time until more good stuff comes out and distracts us.

Even if they do get the stuff released it will probably be as a store exclusive, most likely TRU and thus be ridiculously priced anyways, and even then most likely only the deluxes. That's why I went ahead and bought the voyagers at least. If the deluxes come out later great, if not oh well.

17. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    Demands not high? Trust me we ALL want these figures

18. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got all of these figures for retail or regular import prices
    Sadly to save money I had to go with the less popular versions of bulkhead( takara) and prime (Canadian). I have no hope for the vehicons. I'm not wiling to pay the markup up on the currently and since I want to troopbuild I'll stick to u.s. version or maybe even arms micron version

19. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I think some are missing the point I was trying to make.

There is demand, but the demand isn't high enough to match the price that the current supply is being offered at.

As I said, many of the auctions are in the $70-$80 range, which seems to be where the current demand of the market is willing to pay. Compared to the majority of the current supply being offered at over $100. If the market demand were over $100, all the Buy It Nows would be gone, for example.

I'm just wondering why, economically, the supply side doesn't try to match up better with the demand side. If the auctions for under $100 disappear, will the demand side have to move up to the over $100 supply side?

Mind you, I'm not exactly mad or frustrated about the prices or the fact that Americans have to import these. I'm just kind of taking a step back and looking at the market for what it is.

20. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    The demand is high.

I have sold out of all FE Deluxe figures and I had a TON of cases.

I have a limited supply of Takara Bulkhead and Hasbro Optimus Prime and Bulkhead left in stock.