FCC Content Filtering Inquiry sets sights on Transformers Films

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by jackets, Aug 26, 2009.

1. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In a recent article posted on arstechnica.com, Matthew Lasar reported that the Federal Communications Commission has submitted an inquiry to the public asking for feedback on how well parental blocking devices for television are working, sighting the Transformers films advertisements as a possible violation of said devices.

In a nutshell, the FCC is looking to enforce the rule that MPAA films rated PG-13 or above are not marketed towards children under 13 years of age, thanks to a response given by the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood gave based on the inquiry "[to] the extent to which inappropriate commercials [are] aired in programming viewed by children and on possible solutions to this problem". In the report submitted by the FCC, both Transformers and Transformers Revenge of the Fallen were cited as examples on how such parental blocking devices such as the "V-Chip" weren't regulating such content and allowing children to view said commercials.

Congress has asked the FCC to supply them with a compendium of every content filtering device available. The FCC has until the end of this week, August 29th 2009, to supply the report.

You can read the article in its entirety here. Transformers movies caught in FCC content filtering inquiry - Ars Technica

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Hold on, they're complaining about the commercials?! Jeez, the movie is kinda marketed TO that audience, what with everything blowing up and the giant robots, y'know...

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If parents actually did their job and, you know, PARENT their kids, they wouldn't even need the V-chip.

4. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I miss the days where if a kid got in trouble the kid got an ass-whoopin'. Nowadays if a kid does something wrong, they try to get rid of any company that supplies anything to kids that the parent isn't into themselves.

5. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Well, whether we like this chip or not...let's hope it makes Bay think twice about including his type of humor into the TF movies.

6. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Somewhere along the way, children in this country have moved toward becoming community property. I am not surprised that some group is deciding what is best for other peoples' children. The day is coming where your children won't even be yours!

7. First Gen

First Gen I AM

News Credits:
    Hmm, I wonder what the FCC says about plagerism. :D 

8. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    They can block all the TV commercials they want. It'll make little difference.

Hasbro still has shelfloads of Cyberslammers and other ROTF merchandise aimed at three-year-olds. For a violent movie dripping with crude sexual innuendo. Good luck parents.

9. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    now where the heck is that family guy clip......

10. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Proper parenting?

11. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    The FCC has no business making inquires into anything but radio signals. That said, I loathe commercials and ROTF is far too offensive for 5 year olds, so it's difficult for me to shed a tear.

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    The whole PG-13 thing is retarded stupid to begin with anyway. All you really need to do is have the R rating for ultra violent/profanity ridden movies and that's it. Better yet abolish the whole ratings system entirely, we all know its a big joke to begin with especially in the age of the internet and Bittorrent.

13. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I could understand if they were talking about the movie itself, but there's nothing bad at all in the commercials.

14. jackets

jackets Gamer/Anime fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    well guys this is FCC we are talking about. What ever they think is inappropriate they are going to take it as a big deal

15. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Let's just get rid of ratings altogether why don't we.

I saw a girl, couldn't be older than 6, at the theater once. We were watching the same movie.

It was Bruno.

I think that kinda says something about the state that the world is in, and how most parents don't really care anymore. I like to think that my parents did good with my brothers and I.

16. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It could be worse. The FCC could begin censoring our posts here! That will never happen though, because the FCC is incredible stupid like that. Good thing they're hard to take seriously.

17. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Parents need to learn to regulate what thier children watch... and learn to step up and be f-ing parents. Stop relying on anything other than YOU to govern what your children are doing.
    My 9 year old is not allowed on the internet unsupervised for a reason.
    Sick of the damn government sticking thier nose where it doesn't belong.

18. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This just in from the FCC:

All future "Transformers" movies, should Hasbro wish to continue its marketing towards children, will have to be rated "G" or at the very most "PG". All in-movie character conflicts would be resolved by friendly negotiation, and when tension mounts, fighting will be done by shooting harmless projectiles that always miss. Optimus Prime will always defeat Megatron by knocking him off a cliff, but Megatron will land in a pillow factory and survive to disagree with the current moral and political standpoints of the Autobots another day.
    Also, there will be a strict clothing requirement on female actors; only the skin of their hands and face may be shown at any time. There will be no words more harsh than "Oh darn" and anything remotely sexual (i.e. bananas or lighthouses, which are obviously phallic) will be right out. The only drug use will be restricted to taking cold medicine or an aspirin, and alcohol will be moderated drinking of wine during dinner.
    The Decepticons will not be allowed to look in any way frightening, because then children might have nightmares or become fearful of every-day vehicles. Decepticons cannot have military vehicles alternate modes because war is bad.
    All Transformer voice actors will be required to be Caucasian, American, and speak in their normal speaking voices. No Southern, Boston, New York, or any sort of foreign accents are allowed. Speech will be limited to proper English and the occasional vernacular; street slang, however, is forbidden as it is unbelievably and intentionally racist. Humor must follow the FCC guidelines that require family-friendly "knock-knock" jokes as well as pie-throwing and one slapstick moment per film.
    These are the new FCC requirements for future "Transformers" movies if Hasbro, inc., wishes to continue to market toys that are based on these horrible, awful, violent, childhood-raping, mind-distorting, racist, swearingest, filthy movies.

- Julius Genachowski, FCC Chairman

19. Trell

Trell Paladin

:lolol 

I once read a statement by a parent, simply saying he's too busy to watch his kids . . .

So we all suffer.

20. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think you guys are getting the point. This has nothing to do with parenting. It has to do with advertising. Rotf was made by a director who largely produces R rated movies. Rotf pushed the limits if Pg-13 with its violence, crude language, and sexual innuendo. So the question is why was it being advertised during kids programming?

I know this is an extreme example of the issue but there is something of a valid point in there. How would you feel if your kid was watching spongebob and a condom commercial came on or a girls gone wild video. Rotf is nowhere near as bad as those examples but they have a point. Commercials being aired during a program should be targeted to the same audience as the program. If Rotf was not intended for young kids then it shouldn't air during their programs.