FCBD Regeneration One #80.5 Discussion (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ORIO, May 5, 2012.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It should be in the tpb, so people shouldn't go nuts spending a lot on eBay...

2. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

I wouldn't pay anyone a dime for something that was given away for free. I'm not the only one who got it early, so it has to be on a torrent somewhere.

3. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon R to the D to the D yo.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    Our store was giving everyone whatever they want, had a line form Friday Afternoon and there was almost a full shelf of 80.5 when I got there around 2pm. Greensboro: Comic Book City, USA For A Day | digtriad.com

4. TwistedPaul

TwistedPaul Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The people working in my resident comic shop are good folk so they saved up a copy for me along with my subscriptions. I love what I've seen and read so far - I understand that some may find the art to be a little too crude for their tastes, but I think it's wonderful and conveys exactly what it needs to.

And as far as scalpers are concerned - I think it's worth paying a couple of bucks for, but no more than a regular comic would cost.

5. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

So what happens to the last autobot for those of us whose comic book stores didn't have enough? Anyone want to give a plot synopsis?

6. onefromthedark

onefromthedark Target Master

My place was giving five comics for free, i got there 10 min after it opened and it was PACKED. For the most part I got what i wanted including transformers.

7. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    So I got to meet and BS w/ Livio Ramondelli for FreeComicBookDayn here in Phx, AZ we were both working a table selling our Art, doing Sketches and selling our prints. At Drawn To Comics. I walked over to his table during a quick break and he signed my copy of Regeneration One 80.5

Very all around nice guy. and he was extremely passionate about what her was/is working on. Because of him I'll be buying Autocracy.

8. sh002

sh002 Banned

picked up this, the avengers, and the new 52.

9. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

jerminator, it has nothing to do with being "shady." It's simply business sense, which a comic book shop retailer has to be savvy about.

Free comic books on FCBD aren't free for retailers, so they order a number they think will meet the numbers they expect to see on FBCD. They don't want to over order and have extras lying around they won't make money on, yet they also don't want to under order and not have enough to give to those hopefully-new customers FBCD brings in.

Owning a comic shop is a tough business, and smaller stores in small towns won't see the foot traffic the bigger businesses will. So the "one per customer" is to ensure they don't disappoint new and existing customers who go into the store looking for a specific free issue. Of course, it's bound to happen, esp. due to douchebags who take more than one copy like the guy I saw at one of the LCS near where I live. I almost told him something, but the owner got him when he went to the counter to buy some non-free stuff.

10. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My shop let you pick 10 free comics. I picked up 3 of these, and 7 other titles. I wish I would have grabbed some more of these, since it didn't seem like anyone else was picking them up. The only downside was my shop put a sticker with their address on the front of every issue. I tore one of the covers trying to peel it off. :(  I'm thinking about going back to see if they have any more left.

11. M3Gr1ml0ck

M3Gr1ml0ck Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I so enjoyed 80.5.
    A brilliant, "full circle" narrative structure, both because of the vortex and the fact that war begins again because of an anti-asteroid weapon (just like the Ark was once). It mixed the "recap" purpose of this free issue with an actual story that goes forward, laying the basis for many new subplots.
    Great and clever use of the Marvel UK continuity: Nova Point, the Communicube, Fort Scyk, Kalis' Baird transmitter, the Wreckers, Magnus... and the whole G1 Marvel saga (with G2 hints) was splendidly commemorated!
    There was something for everyone, I think. Even full-sized Micromasters!

12. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    So is anyone going to actually talk about what happens in the comic as opposed to how/where/why they did/did not get the comic?

13. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    no.

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :lol 

15. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

Seriously. I've waited around 20 years for this to happen. A detailed synopsis would be great. I've searched the torrents I know. Nada. Help a guy out.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Someone posted a detailed synopsis the other week in this forum. :lol 

Short version: Amid nostalgic narrator flashbacks, a distant Optimus ignores Kup and UM's advice to stomp down on "neo-Decepticon" activity. Meanwhile, Soundwave rallies a bunch of late-G1 Decepticons, who murder their way into a control room. Soundwave hacks his way into a defense satellite and blasts the Last Autobot--who was standing silently in the center of the city enforcing the peace--to smithereens.

17. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder... If all you guys can talk about in this discussion thread is how and when you got the comic, does that mean that the comic itself is so boring or bad that you don't want to talk about it? :tongue: 

Seriously, though, I'm not really interested in this series myself but I know people who are. I want to let them know what people in the fandom think, but having to tell them that no one's said anything yet is kind of disheartening news to them.

18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basically, it's a bunch of flashback panels showing everything up until now.

The Last Autobot seems to be watching over Cybertron.

Soundwave is secretly organizing a Decepticon underground uprising.

Kup and Ultra Magnus are concerned about the possible Decepticon uprising and go to Optimus (who is secluded in a tower mentoring Hot Rod). They want the Wreckers to nip it in the bud. Prime says no.

Meanwhile, Soundwave, Ruckus, and Spinister lead a Decepticon raid a satellite installation and Soundwave patches in and controls the "asteroid smasher"... and fires down and destroys the Last Autobot.

To be continued...

EDIT: beat to the punch..

19. M3Gr1ml0ck

M3Gr1ml0ck Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As someone already said on the IDW forum, it's nice to have G1 Marvel UK Soundwave back: the obsession about making him "silent" in his latest versions has become quite depressing.
    His manipulation of facts is quite clever: by simply stating that the Covenant is a "conveniently lost" text, he casts a shadow of suspicion on the Autobots' claim that they are following the plan of Primus.
    The idea that Megatron's ultimate goal ("Peace through tiranny") is simply a faster way to achieve Primus' goal of universal order is disturbing, but it's also true that all Transformers are a creation of Primus: he could be right!
    Also, this approach has some affinities with the plans of the G2 Decepticons (rewriting everything in their image); the same could be said about Nova Prime's plan in the -Ation continuity (before he became Nemesis Prime, as described in Spotlight Optimus Prime).

I didn't expect the Last Autobot to be the first victim of the new war, but I didn't expect to see him again either: I as not sure how Furman would have handled him; I was almost expecting to learn that he went back into his temple, or that he merged with the Core... instead, he was eerily standing on a pedestal in the middle of Iacon, watching over his "protegés".

Iacon is called "hub capital": is this a definition that first appeared in The War Within?

Among the Separatists at Fort Scyk, there is a Decepticon Micromaster Combiner Squad... I would have never guessed it was them, but the Wiki lists each of them by name. It seems that full sized Micromasters will be used to replenish the dwindling Decepticon ranks: the war took quite the toll.
    I hope that soon the characters who were put offline during the Underbase Saga will be brought back online: I need to see some familiar faces.

20. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Well, considering that reading this issue required a) having a comic shop within driving distance b) that comic shop choosing to stock the TF comic for FCBD and c) the TF comic still being available when you get there, then yeah, discussing how/when/whatever we got it is kind of an issue. Just because you were able to find it easily doesn't mean everyone else did. I'm amazed this many people were able to get it, considering how obsessed most comic shops are with pushing superhero crap at the expense of everything else.

My LCS only had four comics to choose from...the selection consisted of three pieces of capeshit and a Vertigo preview. And you could take *one* of them. Wow, yeah, that's really going to encourage customers to come flocking in. :rolleyes2  I can't believe I wasted gas even driving out there.