Fcbd '07

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Wreckgar, May 5, 2007.

1. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Well the day has come and for the most part, gone. So what did everyone snag this weekend? Did you get what you wanted?

I managed to still make it dispite having to wait for 4 hours for the gas guy. And lucky the shop I went to offered 6 of the titles. They didn't have the Wizard book but I got:

- Peanuts forgotten strips
    - TF Movie preview
    - Hack/Slash
    - Iron man/Hulk
    - Amazing Spiderman

Seemed from the crowd that it was another big year. The Cubs game was finishing right as I went to the shop and it's down the street so there were also a ton of Cubs fans dropping in. It was actually nice to see people popping in because of the event randomly.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I got 22 books in total, and a Fantastic Four poster. I also picked up some random books from my pull list, and I was mis charged, 8 books for $12. Twas a good day.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I didn't get in till after work, so a lot of the good stuff was gone (IE Amazing Spider-Man). Here's what I did get though:

Tokyopop "Choose Your Weapon" Sampler
    "Who Wants To Be A Superhero?" Feedback Preview (loved this show)
    JLA #0
    Marvel Advnetures Iron Man and Hulk
    Legion of Superheros in the 31st Century
    Fables 25 cent special*

*What my store likes to do on FCBD is unload a bunch of backissues they can't sell for whatever reason. Among others were House of M Spider-Man, TF Armada, last year's TF book, and various Spider-Man backissues. Last year I picked up up House of M Fantastic Four #1. If this pattern holds, after a decade or so, one can pick up all of the House of M tie ins for free. :lol 

4. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My local store had pretty much everything being offered. I picked up...

- TF Movie Prequel #1 - Actually got this as a freebie in an order from stuckakid.com, but including it here anyway. Even though I already had the issue, this is the one I liked the best: A full-length issue of something recent and popular. Good choice from IDW.
    - Battlestar Galactica/Lone Ranger flipbook - Lone Ranger story wasn't bad, would have preferred a full-length issue of that. Didn't read the Galactica one, as the art was terrible.
    - X-Men/Runaways - The 'title' story was awful; if that's the quality of writing and art I could expect from Runaways, there's no way I'd ever buy that book. The Franklin Richards segment was neat and the kind of thing I'd like to read more of in the future. Marvel Adventures and Ultimate Spider-Man bits weren't very good either. Would have preferred a full-length Franklin Richards story.
    - Wizard How to Draw Guide
    - Comics 101 Guide
    - Dark Tower Sketchbook - And Jae Lee's art still sucks. Would have liked some info on the actual story.
    - JLA - Not bad story, but a little disjointed I felt. Second-best one behind the TF movie prequel, though, since it's a great jumping-on point.
    - Legion of Superheroes (animated) - Story needlessly confusing at points, but not terrible.
    - Painkiller Jane - Blurb on the inside cover was more informative about the character and setting than the story, which seemed to be just some random bit they selected; not enough information to judge whether the 'source' comic would be worth buying.
    - Hack/Slash-Family Guy flipbook - Family Guy half was crap. Hack/Slash did a good job providing basic info on the characters and premise; I may actually give the series a pruchase next time I'm by the store.
    - Umbrella Academy-Zerokiller-Pantheon City - Umbrella Academy was unique and might be worth checking out. Couldn't tell what Pantheon City was supposed to be about at all. Zerokiller wasn't very interesting either.
    - Nexus - I'm sure if I'd ever heard of Nexus before, this might have made more sense. Seemed to be intended more to remind old fans of the comic returning than to win any new readers.
    - Virgin Comics Special - Well, points for creativity, I guess. The art on Ramayan 3992 and Devi looked like it escaped from bad issues of Spawn and Witchblade, respectively, and the stories would have been incomprehensible without the text blurbs. Nice art and interesting potential on The Sadhu, but not entirely convinced. Walk-In was fairly bland.
    - Amazing Spider-Man - Surprised they didn't pick a more recent full-length to reflect Spider-Man's post-Civil War status, but probably wanted to reflect the movie and not get bogged down in continuity. Rather bland overall.
    - Bongo Comics Free-For-All - Ralph Wiggum was, as always, the highlight. Rest was okay.
    - Tokyopop Choose Your Weapon Sampler - Haven't read fully yet. Switching back to reading a manga left-to-right is going to make this amusing to get through.

Also picked up Volume 13 of FMA and Volume 11 of Death Note, since my shop had them in a little early.

5. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    I got mine on Wednesday. My LCS picked them for me and gave:

Legion of Super Heroes in the 31st Century #1
    Battlestar Galactica: Season Zero/The Lone Ranger Flip Book
    Transformers the Movie Prequel #1
    The Astounding Wolf-Man #1
    Amazing Spider-Man: Swing Shift

Not bad, I would have also liked the Marvel Three-in-one, JLA #0, Wizard and Liberty Girl #0, but I'm happy :) 

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=132082

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I took my two sons. Our shop just lines up everything that is available on tables and lets you take as many as you want, so we got one of almost everything they had (barring things that weren't age appropriate for my kids). I think we ended up with about 20 or so books. They LOVE Free Comic Book Day. My older one talked about it for months after I took him in 2006, and actually would respond to the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" with "I want to dress up like Spider-Man and give comics to children."

Outside the shop:

[​IMG]

Meeting Spider-Man:

[​IMG]

Back home with their favorite comic, guess which one it is:

[​IMG]

7. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Am I alone in thinking that its no coincidence that KD's kids have glowing red eyes and that there is an Exorcist book on the shelf behind them?

8. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

No. his kids spider sense is tingling.

Was anyone else only allowed to get 5 comics this year? Every year previous i could get as many issues as i wanted.

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    heh, cute spidey kids KD.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I nominate KD for Coolest Dad Ever.

(Just don't tell my Dad. He's big and scarey.)

11. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

Here's what I got after going to 2 local shops (Comic Bug in Manhattan Beach, CA and House of Heroes in Torrance, CA)

Who Wants to be a Superhero? preview (kinda lame, but I wondered what happened to it after the show)
    JLA #0 (already have it, will give it to friend)
    Amazing Spider-Man (not bad)
    Marvel Adventures Iron Man & Hulk (pretty good, MA series stuff has been surprisingly good from what I have seen so far)
    Legion of Super Heroes (blah)
    Pirates v Ninjas #1 (meh)
    Comic Genesis previews (not interesting enough)
    Digital Webbing Jam (ditto)
    Owly/Korgi (kinda fun in a very young way)
    Sonic the Hedgehog (meh)
    Ape Entertainment preview (ditto)
    Family Guy & Hack/Slash (FG was meh, H/S was slightly interesting)
    Tokyopop Sneaks (haven't read it yet)
    Wolverine Heroclix (I think it was leftover from last year)
    Star Wars Clone Trooper Heroclix?
    2 FF2 mini-posters (I'll probably give one away)

I also bought quite a few trades with the sales going on at both stores. Spent way too much money.

And House of Heroes called me today and told me I won their free DC Countdown raffle! That's 2 years in a row! (I won their DC 52 raffle last year) I guess telling them that winning the raffle was what kept me buying so much at their store made them rig the results in my favor again :ev: 

12. JD

JD Well-Known Member

I got the Spider-man comic, Ironman/Hulk and TF Movie prequel.

13. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Transformers Movie Prequal
    Justice League
    Iron Man & Hulk
    Spider-Man
    Tokyopop
    Transformers movie poster

14. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    spiderman
    astoungind wolfman
    the umbrella something or other
    and a crapton more.....i think i got like 15 books....but i work there, so its all good

we also had past years free comics out too, so we had a ton of books offereed, including the superman 10 cent adventure and other various very cheap books....

we also had batman, boba fett and a storm trooper hanging out in front of our store...that was totally cool...its just a couple of guys (one's my old boss) who hang out there on free comic day to help draw attention....

and we had a huge sale too, and did a mega huge day....just over 2500....which was 1k more then last year.....

oh, and i also got a F4 rise of the silver surfer one sheet (and its the older one, with just surfer, not the new one with the f4 too)

15. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

My FCBD '07 was not as good.

Due to family commitments, I had to go out of town on Free Comic Book Day. So last Friday, the day before FCBD, I stopped into my LCS, which I've been a regular customer of for the last year or so (before that I shopped there off and on for a decade, usually when the LCS closest to my apartment was out of something), and picked up my stack of comics. Set up in the back were a couple of tables with all of the FCBD comics stacked up and ready to go. So I picked up the only one I wanted, the Spider-Man one, and took it and the rest of my comics (about $35 worth) up to the register. The guy takes the FCBD book and tells me he "can't give it out until tomorrow." I tell him that I'm going out of town and he says "sorry, but I'm sure we'll have extra." Ok, fine. All week I'd read online about comic shops giving out their FCBD books early to their regulars, so what's the big deal?

Anyway, I went back today and got another $35 worth of books and I asked the guy (same one as last week) if he had any FCBD Spidey books left. He said "no, we're donating them to some worthy causes." So once again, out of $70 worth of comics in a week, the one book I still don't have is the one free one I wanted.

So who do you think is being a jerk - the LCS guy for not giving a regular loyal customer preferential treatment? Or me for expecting preferential treatment?

I'm actually surprised at how mad I am about this. I mean, it's just a freaking comic book!

16. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I totally would have left all those comics in front of him and say "I'm just not in the mood to buy all these comics." and leave. That guy was just a jerk. Which comic did you want?

17. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I thought about doing just that... after I had already paid for them and gotten in the car. I figure the best way to get back at him is just to cut back on my shopping at that store. To their credit, it's easily the best store in town. Unfortunately, they know it (and believe it) too. There are a couple of smaller stores, both much closer to my apartment, that I think just might get my business.

I wanted the Spider-Man issue. I'm going to hit a those smaller stores tomorrow and see if they have any left.