FC: Legion of 3 Worlds...(spoilers may occur unsilvered)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    okay...

damn...this kicked off to a nice start, and even though i read all of Johns Action Comics arcs, it still felt really fresh and nice, and also like i didnt really need them to understand the story...the opening sequence was nice, and SMP stumbling across the superman museum was awesome...and how his statue was just tossed in the back, i dug that alot...very curious to see where this goes, especially after the last line of the book...

and do we know who the guy is at the beginning? this mysterious hooded figure with bugs? can't wait for more issues, though i think #2 just got pushed back to October 1st...which sucks...

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I can´t believe Superman actually said what I think he did on the last page. We´re talking about a mass murderer.

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Shouldn't this be in the Final Crisis thread?

I read it last night and it was fantastic. I always love seeing Superman Prime. He's really turned into an interesting character.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out and ties into the main FC storyline.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    He's the Time Trapper, an old legion villan.
    Time Trapper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yet Another Comics Site- The Time Trapper: DC's Coolest Villain
    Say It Backwards: Time Trapper: Great Villain, or <I>Greatest</i> Villain?
    Time Trapper - Legion Wiki
    NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Time Trapper

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I've been looking forward to this for months now, and it didn't disappoint. It's so good to see the Zero Hour Legion again, even if it's only one panel so far. I'm so happy to see Triad again - always my favorite Legionnaire.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never been interested in the Legion, given the convoluted histories and multiple retcons. I haven't read the Action Comics Legion arc or Lightning Saga. I picked this up on a whim solely for Superboy Prime...and I'm very glad I did. This was one of the best individual issues I've read in quite awhile and an excellent start to this event. Everything was explained and made sense without absolutely necessitating having already read multiple prior comics; it's actually got me wanting to pick up the set-up arcs, not as a chore because I need them to understand this (ala the main Final Crisis mini), but because this story's got me interested in what happened before. Even with the large cast, I didn't feel lost and there were enough bits of characterization that it didn't come across as just a bunch of people randomly spitting out lines to keep the plot moving. I also felt like it was good value, even for the $4.25 cover price, as there was a lot going on in the issue and it took awhile to read (about 20 minutes). Solid art by Perez as well made it very nice to look at too. Looking forward to seeing how this story progresses.

Minor thing I wonder if they'll address in subsequent issues: Did Time Trapper plant Superboy Prime's armor at the Superman Museum? Seems odd that the Museum would produce a statue and then make removable armor for it, rather than just making the armor part of the statue. Holo-Olson also seemed surprised the statue was actually around.

7. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i think this book deserves its own thread...hence i made one...

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

this issue made up for the (what i call) uninteresting Final Crisis title so far.

seems like in the future, everyone knows Clark to be Superman...

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This book was awesome. Love seeing a tantrumming Superboy-Prime again. And yay for DC getting back the right to call him that again.

10. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    This is the type of story I enjoy, even though Superboy Prime is a complete psycho emo, the story isn't horribly negative, and there is still some element of fun and hpe in the story. This is also how I love to see Superman used the alien with complete faith in humanity. Superboy Prime killed superboy,slaughtered hundreds of heroes, destroyed a planet(countdown) and Superman still thinks there is chance to redeem him. There are very few characters that could pull that line of dialog off. Geoff Johns is bringing back interest in old characters, not by making them more powerful, or more hardcore, but by writing good stories and taking the characters back to what made them special in the first place. Since he's taken over writing Action Comics I've enjoyed reading about the sidecast as much as reading about Superman. The jokes he made about Cat Grant in the last few issues have been hillarious. I actually want to see more of her. That's one of the things I miss most about modern comics (especially Marvel) is the social life of the hero, the belief that this guy is just like us. He or she has a lowsey job and an annoying boss by day but at night(or their lunch break) they are something more. That's what's missing from comics, the everyman aspect of it. We need more secret identies and more drama, not more devastation and destruction. I'm tired of crisis's, wars and invasions. I want that feeling of hope back in comics.

11. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    An apparently unkillable mass murderer with very few real weaknesses. Three Kryptonians, the Green Lantern Corps and an entire supporting cast of DC heroes wasn't enough to even slow him down for long last time.

And he's survived being at the heart of an explosion which destroyed a universe. Superman probably thinks the options for taking him down by force have been pretty much exhausted by now.

12. Lumpy

News Credits:
    good point...i cant wait for more...

13. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i just reread this again last night...its one of the few books in a long time that i've wanted to go back and reread right away...and not because i didnt understand what happened either...can't wait another month for this book to come out...

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    If your not reading this start now!

15. General Magnus

Holy shit Yat is alive. Blackest Night spoiler?

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wasn't as impressed with this issue as with the first. The first made it easy to follow what was going on, even though I had no experience with the Legion whatsoever. I'll grant, maybe I should have read the first issue again really closely, but parts of this left me confused. Who was the woman on the first page? I don't remember her from the first issue. I don't remember anything about the White Witch in the first issue either (maybe a quick mention) and suddenly that's a big important thing. Checking wikipedia, it looks like that was a plotline in the Action Comics Legion arc...which I didn't want to have to read to 'get' this. During the seance, they "sense the two Legions that helped us with the Tornado Twins"...huh? When/what was that? That seems like a rather important point and there wasn't even one panel summarizing or explaining it (ala the Superboy Prime Sinestro Corps run-down), just thrown out there like it was something that was supposed to be understood. Why was one Legion group in an empty void? Maybe some of this stuff will be explained next issue, but I'm worried it's going to end up in the "well, you should just know this" category.

Besides that, my other complaint would be that the Cosmic Boy/Lightning Lad 'battle', and the whole "do we kill him or not" bit, was cliched...as was Saturn Queen's "everyone has evil in them" speech. I swear every telepathic villain is required to do some version of that speech whenever they read a hero's mind. The Brainiac 5 'battle' wasn't very interesting either; fortunately, it was short.

On the good side...despite the set-up being a little confusing to me, the battle with Mordru and Rond's battle with the Legion of Supervillains were both really good. Superboy Prime stole the show again and I'm glad I'm reading this, if for no other reason than his appearances. I'm leaning towards a "redemption equals death" heroic sacrifice for him before this ends. And the Sodam Yat reveal was neat as well. I do have high hopes for the next issue with some of the plot that's been set up here, although I'm very concerned about getting lost in the continuities of three Legions and losing track of characters (a problem I was already having during the Legion vs evil Legion fights near the end of this issue), especially with 3 versions of the same character.

EDIT - And it does look like Lightning Saga is going to be essential for understanding something important in the next issue. Hopefully, that'll be summarized in-story in the next Lo3W.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  17. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Next issue we get too see what the secret of the lightning rod Brainy been carrying around and was a plot point way back in the second JLA arc. I think it'll turn out to be Bart since Barry is in Final Crisis and it's Bart that almost beat him last time. His main foes have been Superman, Superboy, Sodam Yat, and Kid Flash. I'm assuming Bart because the lighting rod incident happened at the same time Wally came back casing Bart to lose his powers.

18. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    That's Shikari, a member of the Zero Hour Legion. She's slightly similar to Dawnstar, but much cooler.

That's an untold story of the first crossover between the three Legions. It's never been written because, until Infinite Crisis, the original Legion had been erased from history.

I liked this issue, but it wasn't entirely worth the long wait for it. The big draw of this book for me is the return of the Zero Hour Legion, my favorite of the three Legion continuities. This issue, though, was about 95% un-boot Legion, with only Shikari and Brainiac 5 getting any real screen time (and Brainy was upstaged by the Threeboot version. I know Johns has basically admitted that the later two versions would get less focus, but I was still hoping for a little more. The ZH and Threeboot teams feel like little more than guest stars in this book, rather than co-stars.

It also troubles me greatly that the other two Legions are apparently stuck in this version of the future. It very strongly suggests that one of the two worst possible options for Legion consolidation is going to happen - the later two Legions dying and the original carrying on or multiple deaths all around with the survivors forming one single team. I find either one of these options to be extremely distasteful, and I just hope that Johns has enough respect for these characters and their fans to not go on a killing spree (of course, if Triad is one of the surviving Legionnaires, I won't quite be as pissed off).

19. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I think he's heading to a mixing of the teams, at the very least mixing the zero hour team (limbo) and the original.

20. General Magnus

I´m afraid this will spoil Blackest Night to some extent though. Hopefully not, but after seeing Yat, i would not be surprised.