Favourite live-action Bruce Banner?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Sep 7, 2012.

?

Favourite live-action Bruce Banner?

1. Bill Bixby

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Eric Bana

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Edward Norton

16 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Mark Ruffalo

40 vote(s)
    59.7%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    For me it’s Bixby. As Christopher Reeve is to Superman, or Linda Carter is to Princess Diana, so Bixby is to Banner. He brought unparalleled life into the role: his Banner is one who bears a constant burden (that of becoming a monstrous creature whenever he is pushed too far) and who must keep at his tragically endless yet essential quest to contain or hopefully rid himself of the burden and return to normal – and as irony would have it, while he doesn’t want or need the creature there are others who can’t defend themselves who do, and so he must unleash the creature to save them, and once more doom himself to a life on the road, with the creature as his constant but only companion.
    To be fair, Bixby had a series while the others had a movie, so he had more time and character development; but his performance is definitely one of the greatest superhero roles ever.

As to Bana, I enjoyed Ang Lee’s film and think it was one of the most interesting superhero films ever. It portrayed the Hulk not as a hero, but as a monster of pure emotion and a danger to all around him; his creation did not just involve gamma radiation, but genetic tampering by his father; and Banner was not only a scientist but a withdrawn traumatized person, both witness and victim of a horrific incident that lies in the joint history of Banner Sr and General Ross (something that makes Lee’s film one of the darkest comic book films ever).
    As befitted the role, Bana was suitably repressed and tortured, in the grip of a condition where there was only one way of expressing himself, but which would mean unleashing his inner passion - literally, to the point of causing destruction all round him.

I can’t really say much about Norton or Ruffalo. They were good in their roles, but then those roles were basically Bixby’s character set in a comic universe.
    But of the two Ruffalo does a better job; he’s meeker and more emotionless, which works as in Stark’s words he’s really got a lid on it – and as the the Avengers discover, he has to stay that way to keep the other guy down – but when he raises his voice or shows emotion, it is something worth noticing (“STOP LYING TO ME!” is one fine example of ominous warning and foreshadowing).

For those asking about Lou Ferrigno, Ferrigno is the Hulk. He has technically not played Bruce Banner. So he's not on this poll.

(In closing)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Mark.

3. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mark Ruffalo.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Bill Bixby by far. His version Bruce Banner ( he was actually called David Banner in the series but same character) was to me the best portrayal of Banner the others especially Bana's felt like the it was only the means to get the Hulk.

I have not yet seen The Avengers so i cannot really judge Mark Ruffalo's take on the character.

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Hard to say.

Out of those three, the only one I really don't like is Norton's Banner. Pretty generic that Banner was.

Bixby's pretty cool, but the writing wouldn't help him. The writing wasn't bad, but it was a little sub-par, and really. damn. dated at this point. So it is a little hard to judge his interpretation on its own, these days.

I enjoyed Bana for the reasons you presented, he got very well the "containted, almost imprisioned inside his own body" Banner concept, he was truly a man holding himself back in every way, a mentally ill Banner, if you will.

Ruffalo's is interesting in another way, I like that Banner because he is much more than "The Hulk when he's normal". See the problem with many Hulk adaptations [and even the comic books, a few times] is that they sometimes fail to make Bruce Banner a interesting character on its own, without the big green guy. But not Ruffalo, he has a sarcastic streak, he is a genius, he is a friendly guy yet contained and afraid of his own potential. I had as much fun watching him as I had watching the Hulk, if not more.

That, people, is something really unique the movie accomplished. A Banner with his own charisma, not just a shadow of the Hulk.

Hell, even when it comes to Banner regarding his Hulks problems they [they being Ruffalo and Whedon] handled it masterfully, that conversation with Stark and Banner is better than entire movies.

I'll pick Ruffalo for that reason.

6. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

Mark Ruffalo is the main reason why I like the Hulk. And the Avengers.

7. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Mark Ruffalo is my favorite for the reasons Balder has listed.

Bixby is a close second because I grew up with his version.

Norton is third because I thought he was likable and worked for that movie.

Bana is my least favorite, but he didn't do a bad job either and he just had bad luck by being in the crappy Hulk movie.

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Ruffalo! He was incredible in The Avengers.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I grew up with Bixby, but I have to say his portrayal really never reminded me of the actual comic book character.

I don't know if I have a favorite.

Well, yeah, because they all came from the same era. The same point in your childhood. Of course you connect to all three of them the same way.

10. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    Haven't seen The Avengers yet so i can't choose. But i did like Edward Norton.

11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I'm old school so Bixby takes it.

12. GingaMagnus

GingaMagnus Designated Toku Nerd

Ruffalo.

13. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Who voted for Eric Bana? XD Actually saying that will be a bit unfair, he played his role according to the script it was given to him. But he is my less favourite Banner from the 4 of the list. My favourite is Bill bixby, he is iconic! Just think that the new Banners ( Norton and Ruffalo ) are based in that version. ;) 

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

honestly, i think i recall liking them all. it is hard to choose! lol but i guess i will pick the avengers one. because it was nice seeing everyone in the avengers just interacting with each other.

i thought that was the best part of the movie.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Mark Ruffalo.

16. opheadtaker

opheadtaker Gaseous sycophant

Mark ruffalo was great!.i didint really like norton,he was OK,but just something about him just...i dunno..i just didint like him.

17. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Mark Ruffalo.

18. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Norton. All day

19. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Ruffalo was just so warm and likable.

20. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Mark Ruffalo made me think that this was the guy who could turn into the Hulk.

Edward Norton is a complete miscast.

The other two are alright.