Favourite live-action Batman?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Jul 8, 2012.

?

Favourite live-action Batman?

1. Adam West

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  2. Michael Keaton

22 vote(s)
    43.1%
  3. Val Kilmer

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. George Clooney

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Christian Bale

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    For me, it'd have to be Keaton. Bale has done an excellent job, but he still comes off as more a tough smart guy in a costume and a raspy voice; Keaton brings to life the sinister, slightly deranged attitude that I think fits the Dark Knight the best (traumatized by parents, running around dressed as a bat, you'd have to be taken as a bit nuts, which Alan Moore of THE KILLING JOKE understood, and which Tim Burton used).

2. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Keaton takes this easily, for me at least. Bale is great, but he tries too hard to come off as menacing in the cowl and as Bruce, he doesn't do a good job of concealing the Batman side of his persona, things that Keaton got right when he portrayed the Caped Crusader.

3. Muramasa

Muramasa Well-Known Member

Keaton of course. Even though his Bruce Wayne had a tendency to isolate himself and his Batman was a beast. He fits the role perfectly and the way I see it, he is still the most intimidating Batman in live action.

The perfect live action Batman the way I see it would be Michael Keaton's intimidation and Kevin Conroy's voice.

4. TFtoycollector

TFtoycollector I'm British i am

News Credits:
    Keaton will always be my favourite Batman, with Bale as my 2nd. And Clooney being the worst. Ever.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Bale. I like Keaton, but he's too small. They're really close for me, but Bale's Batman is just more of a character and I want to see his struggles more than Keaton Batman.

6. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Gah, I'm torn. Both of these guys are right.

7. megapork

megapork Cheese

Bale. Keaton as bruce just comes off a bit too eccentric and less like a playboy, Batman is okay but he barely even moves. Bale actually nails both batman and bruce, fighting hand to hand while being a playboy you can hate.

8. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

For me Bale just edges out Keaton, simply because to me Bale comes off a little more reminiscent of the Batman of the comics; particularly I think he's better at creating a real duality between the smug, lackadaisical billionaire playboy and the @$$-kicking vigilante of few words. To me Keaton played Wayne more as the reclusive-eccentric type who seems to have a problem keeping his mask on, which worked well for Tim Burton movies in 1989 and 1992, but it's not a trope that I find ages well...I guess the previous batch of Spidey films have soured me a little bit on that.

Past that, Kilmer was far too bland for my tastes in both guises, and when he had the suit on Clooney was essentially playing Bruce Wayne in an S&M Batman costume rather than playing Batman.

That having been said, I know I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this, but I think my third favorite live-action Batman is Adam West. He played his parts essentially the way he was being paid to play them, so I can't fault him for the way his Batman was depicted. And that whole sequence from the '66 film of him racing down the wharf with that bomb in his hands is just priceless.

9. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Bale. Keaton wasn't tough enough.

10. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    I think they all did relatively well based on their respective environments and time frames.

West played the suave detective aspect great. I'm not going to say "he wasn't dark and brooding enough" because that's obviously not what they were going for. He was the romanticizing hunk, the crime-fighting detective Batman.

Keaton had a great combination of brooding, emotionally damaged Bruce combined with the tough-guy crime-fighter of Batman. But he wasn't too tough. He wasn't a brutal "I'll break your ankles unless you tell me"-brutal. He was a "punch a guy in the face as he falls into a hole with some dynamite"-brutal/humour.

Kilmer's portrayal had more substance to his struggles than Keaton or Clooney, and I felt that he really had both Bruce and Batman down pat, but he just wasn't fully up-to-snuff with either of Bruce or Batman's portrayals. This close, but not quite.

Clooney, well, I'm not going to say he was awful. I mean, they chose a billionaire playboy to play a billionaire playboy. On paper, Clooney seems obvious. But there was something lacking from both his Bruce and his Batman. His Batman wasn't tough enough for my liking, and there wasn't really anything special about his Bruce. Granted, B&R didn't really focus on Bruce Wayne as much as it did on the other supporting characters and their arcs, so that could be why.

Bale plays the jerk-@$$ side of Bruce/Batman really well. But as Megabattimus said, it's almost like he tries a bit too hard. His Batman is great, don't get me wrong. Bale is probably my second or third choice on this list.

As Bruce Wayne, I choose Keaton or Kilmer. As Batman I choose Bale.

But also agreed. DARN IT. Hot Shot, we can be torn together...

And on this topic, this Cracked article might come in handy for some people.

Bat Battle: Who's The Best Movie Batman? | Cracked.com

11. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Michael Keaton.

12. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    Bale narrowly edges out Keaton imo. I prefer Bale's edgier more serious approach.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Michael Keaton as Batman but Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne.

14. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

I voted for Keaton, and I already regret it.

I really do care for Bale's version a lot more.

15. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    Bale, and it's not even close. Of course, if we were including voice-actors, then Kevin Conroy takes it, easily.

16. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I like bale and Keaton equally.

17. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

adam west is my vote

18. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I don't really like any of the live action Batmen. Bale is good, but only as Bruce Wayne. His Batman...Eh. So since none of them really work, I have to go with the one that at least entertains me the most: Adam West. :lol 

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    While i have a soft spot for Adam West as the Batman of my childhood, I have to give it to Micheal Keaton.

no one between Keaton and Bale did justice to the character, Bale did well but fell just short of Keaton.

20. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, Clooney got a vote?