Favourite De Niro mob film?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Favourite De Niro mob film?

1. The Godfather II

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Once Upon a Time in America

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Goodfellas

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. The Untouchables

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Analyze This

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Robert De Niro has done more acclaimed gangster films than most other actors. But which one would you say is your favourite? (Not best, he is superb in all these films)

THE GODFATHER II – His performance as the young Vito Corleone in the early years of the Corleone dynasty won him an Oscar. I don’t know if it was deserving though, as Michael Corleone’s story within the film was more interesting (it’s a crime Pacino never got an Oscar for his role), and in any case he was copying Marlon Brando’s forceful commanding performance from the first film. But still, he was great to see in that film.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA – Sergio Leone’s last and arguably best film, a four-hour epic about the life of Noodles (De Niro), a once and former gangster. This one gets my vote: as the main character in his younger and elder days, De Niro is both vivid and aged, ambitious and passive, similar and dissimilar, and forever cheated and alone. The film too has a great story: the twists and turns make it interesting and mysterious, all the way to the drugged-out ending: what part of the film WAS the truth?

GOODFELLAS – He played Jimmy Conway, staying fairly in the background to the hero Henry Hill and the shoot-em-up hothead Tommy DeVito, in a “fictional documentary” about blue-collar gangsters. He made a great supporting role in this film, going from helping out his friends in whatever they did (even grieving upon Tommy’s failing to be made), to setting up the death of all his compatriots. An excellent performance from a great Martin Scorsese film.

THE UNTOUCHABLES – He played Al Capone, the legendary mob boss who ruled Chicago under an iron thumb... until Kevin Costner and Sean Connery brought him down. There are no shades or nuances to Capone: he is a complete and utter despot, doing whatever he wants to whoever he wants, ironically considering himself untouchable by the law.

ANALYZE THIS – This was more a parody of his earlier mob roles, but it’s got its moments too. De Niro needs to show off his comic talent more, his performance as issue-ridden mobster Paul Vitti is actually impressive, even more so than his MEET THE PARENTS role.

2. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Goodfellas.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Tough call. I think Godfather 2 is objectively the best of those movies, but I don't really think of it as a De Niro movie.

My choice was Once Upon a Time in America. A truly great film.

Untouchables is maybe the most rewatchable, though. And also has music by Morricone, coincidentally.

And for the record, I think 'Once Upon a Time in the West' is Leone's best movie by a wide margin. 'Once Upon a Time in America', 'Duck, You Sucker', and 'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' are all in contention for second place.